Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hagardreams, Aug 20, 2008.

1. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

Any suggestions on this ungodly gut pain. It seems like it just comes and goes, but mostly comes. I am so tired of huring with it. It gets better when I take my pain meds, but I can only take them every 6 hours. About after 4 hours, its hurting really bad again. I cant take a heating pad with me everywhere, and that only helps somewhat.

I was just wondering if anyone else suffers with this ungodly mess.

Any suggestions, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance, Julie
  2. FMsaddenedspirit

FMsaddenedspirit New Member

Hey Julie
    I to have this awefule thing called IBS have had for years upon years, along with everything else,
    Diet , and citra cell help lots.. need to watch the fiber in your diet, ya I now most fiber foods make me bloate real bad.. and it hurts , I really have to be carfule my pain meds don;t help this condition at all. lots of water to go with the pain meds.
    I started a healthy diet , slowly adding in more fiber foods Veg's mostly except 1 meal of the day .. oh and me lots of Tuna , LOL, less fried foods

sorry you have not been feeling well , I hope it will ease up for you , not fun I know ,

you are not alone

Well wishes / JoAnne

3. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I tried to eat some oatmeal, because I was told it was good for me, and that was a big mistake. I had such pain.
    I try to eat a balanced amount of fiber everyday, but I notice that it does make me bloat. I need fiber, but it also makes the pain worse. I feel like I am in such a bad place. I take my pain pills and they dont seem to help with the gut pain. Sometimes they do, but just a little. I only drink water anymore. Once a week I do drink cranberry juice for my kidneys. I just feel like I am at such a loss, and dont know where to begin.

Thanks for the reply!
  4. luv2float

luv2float New Member

Ask your doc about Levsin, it is an antispasmadic drug that really helps with the cramping, it also helps calm me.

I also take a scoop of Questran daily, saved me, I can't do without it. It gives you bulk in your stool. This is RX also.

I've been dealing with this for years and years so I know how you feel. I take imodiam ad (otc) when it happens and my pain pills. Another good RX is Buspar, it's for anxiety but it also slows your system down which helps too.

Good luck and hope you feel better, go to an gastro doc.
  5. FMsaddenedspirit

FMsaddenedspirit New Member

Good morning Julie
    I hope today is a better day for you , just wanted to see how you are !
    Luv2float is right if you haven't seen a gastro Doc yet you prob should , they have lots of meds you could try,, I can't take most of them due to adhesions I have inside from the 6 sugerys I'v had,
    but maybe there is something you can take to ease the pain in your gut,
    your not alone

hope today is a better day for you :)

Best wishes ... JoAnne
  6. SpiroSpero

SpiroSpero New Member

IBS depends on diet for me only. You could try to eat gluten free or lactose free or sugar free or fructose low (contained in fruits!) and see if it helps.
  7. padre

padre New Member

Went to the gastroenterologist and he started me on Bennefiber (soluable fiber) and Bentyl (an old drug for colon spasms). I was not convinced, but I am better.

It is best to go see the doctor and yes you are likely going to get a colonoscopy. Finding out there is no cancer is worth the process.
  8. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I think it depends on what "kind" of IBS you suffer from - the intermittent constipation (C) or diarrhea (D), or chronic one way or the other. Advice would depend on what you suffer from.
    I've had IBS for years. No change in diet has ever helped me unless I was severely constipated then I added Metamucil to my daily diet. That didn't help much, but it did a little.
    That "kind" of IBS changed to severe diarrhea for me. Which to me is much worse, along with the inability to leave the house at times.
    Thankfully, once I started taking pain meds, which constipates many people, I finally became normal. I still get horrific pain sometimes along with bloating etc.

You'd think we could catch a break sometimes wouldn't ya?
  9. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I never have dirrea, its usually normal to constipation.

I tried to have a colonoscopy done a few years ago, and the stuff they gave me drink wouldnt stay down. They gave up on doing one on me after that.

My biggest problem is just the ungodly PAIN. It comes and goes, it seems to be worse when I do get cleaned out so to speak. I think a lot is pressure. When I have a good day and can do some housework, it seems to get better. Its always worse when my husbands bipolar is acting up, I guess the stress from his illness.

I go back to the doctor in Oct and I will see if she can give me something that was suggested here. It just gets so old, and as we all know, the pain can be overbearing sometimes. Whats sad is not being able to run away from ourselves. I envy those who dont have this and can have a good life.

Thanks again for all the replies!
  10. momof4kids68

momof4kids68 New Member

I've got IBS also. I started taking probiotic acidophilus months ago and it really helped me to avoid the both constipation and diahria. I don't have cramping pain either. I don't know exactly how it works but you can look it up online.

It's cheap enough to give it a try. I pay $4.95 a bottle at Walgreens. You keep it in the fridge. Take one a day.
  11. justmestephd

justmestephd New Member

My gastro doc gave me Amitriptlyne (?) started out at 25 mgs and it was helping me and then not as much so he upped it to 50 and it does work most of the time he said it slows something in the intestines. If I ever get constipated which is hardly ever I just take 25 mgs instead of the 50 and everything comes right out LOL He also gave me the Bentyl for cramping too. I took that the first month and stopped it because I wasn't haveing the cramps anymore.
  12. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I have IBS-C. I started taking Citracell and Benefiber which I liked as it is not gritty and dissolves well.

However, after a while I almost ended up with a complete blockage of the bowel as nothing was moving.

I had to take the nasty stuff you take with a colonoscopy. Yuk. I guess the official diagnosis was I was full of S***, LOL!!

My doctor recommended miralax as it not only has the fiber but a stool softener. It has really helped me. If it had not worked, I would have had to take medication.
    The miralax dissolves well. I put it in my hot tea and you do not even notice it is there.

I did have to play around with the times to take it. For me taking it for three days and then stop for three days works the best.

What does your doctor say about this? Pain can be caused by a lot of different things.

Good luck,

[This Message was Edited on 08/24/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 08/24/2008]
  13. sascha

sascha Member

there are different schools of thought on how to treat it. check IBS sites online- there's one that recommends refined carbs- i found i don't do at all well on that plan.

for me, what works the best, is very low carb (carbs from vegs and fruits only; with very few exceptions), proteins, and good fats. it is a totally satisfactory way to eat once you get into it. there are all sorts of things you can make and enjoy.

there are the primary culprits in triggering IBS symptoms: dairy, chocolate, coffee, gluten-based foods, sugar, alcohol... try giving all these up and see how it helps. it may sound overwhelming, but i assure you, it's very do-able. i don't have any bread, even gluten-free varieties- and i feel best on the carb-less food plan (and i avoid the other things mentioned).

hope you find a way that helps- yes- probiotics are highly recommended to put good bacteria back in the gut. and try digestive enzymes. good luck! Sascha