IBS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Elbryan, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Elbryan

Elbryan New Member

What over the counter product are you using for IBS?
    I use pepto most of the time but cant seem to get it to work this go round. Dont really want to go back on perscribed meds for it.

Thanks for help in advance..
  2. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

I use Pepto the most. Also, Tums and I do take
    Prevacid. Acidophilus for intestinal health and
    charcoal helps a lot with gas but has to be taken at
    the right times so as not to interfere with the absorption of meds.

Lynn
  3. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

I used acidophilus. If I could afford it I would use probiota !
  4. bakron

bakron New Member

Metamucil is also a good over-the-counter product for IBS. It helps as a laxative, but will also aid in diarrhea by sort of "absorbing" the fluid in the intestines to make bulk rather than watery/loose stool. I prefer to not take prescribed meds and Metamucil was recommended by a friend who has Diverticulitis with many of the same symptoms as I have with IBS.
  5. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

Hi,

(we seem to meet a lot here)

Do you mean probiotics or is that a special
    product? Acidophilus is considered a
    probiotic.

I take the six strain kind with FOS

Lynn
  6. wolflake46

wolflake46 New Member

elbryan,

I too have IBS, I take immodium. I once had a perscription for this and it was very expensive, but the over the counter immodium has the same strenghth as perscription.

Diane
  7. 2girls

2girls New Member

Zantac works wonders for this.

2girls
  8. Mumu

Mumu New Member

The best thing I've found to help IBS is not something to take but something to avoid. I read about some recent studies that showed that carrageenan was a major trigger of diarrhea in IBS. It's found in all kinds of processed foods, like ice cream, nutritional supplement drinks, and puddings. I think I also read that it contains MSG, which is another thing we need to avoid. I'm not sure if the two are the same thing or if one just contains the other, but there is a connection of some kind. For emergencies I do take Imodium occasionally, but it usually takes so long to take effect, that it's not much help.
  9. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

metamucil and Immodium. Good luck. I'm happy with having Donnatol on hand at all times. Won't go anywhere without it. dolsgirl
  10. donna13210

donna13210 Member

It took at least 4 weeks to kick in, because I started at a low dose and increased slowly up to about 600 mg twice per day. But it has reduced my IBS symptoms by at least 80% ! I still get a little bit of cramping but nothing like I used to get.

I also take Prevacid for acid reflux. Well, a lady at work told me the strangest thing. She says the Prevacid CAUSES her IBS-like symptoms!! Almost blew me away since I just recently increased my dosage and my IBS symptoms increased also! Yet I never connected the two, probably because I take so many damn pills!

I may post a topic on this as I feel it may be important for people to know this connection.

Take care all
  11. layinglow

layinglow New Member

I had horrible IBS, so bad I could not leave the house.
    I am now without symptoms. I take Berberine Complex, and Probiotics with acidophilus and bifidobacterium. I used Gastromyacin for quite awhile, too, but have been able to discontinue it now.

Best wishes, LL