Ibuprofen

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by canarysue, Sep 26, 2002.

1. canarysue

canarysue New Member

Hi! I'm kind of new to the message board, but I need to ask a question. I have fibro and have had it since I was four (a long, long time), and my doctor thinks that 800 mgs of ibuprofen a day will help my muscles to not be so painful. Is anyone else on this medicine, and do you find it effective? May I also take Darvocet and Flexeril with it if I am in a flare? Noone understands how I feel but a fellow fibro sufferer!

Carrie
  2. canarysue

canarysue New Member

Hi! I'm kind of new to the message board, but I need to ask a question. I have fibro and have had it since I was four (a long, long time), and my doctor thinks that 800 mgs of ibuprofen a day will help my muscles to not be so painful. Is anyone else on this medicine, and do you find it effective? May I also take Darvocet and Flexeril with it if I am in a flare? Noone understands how I feel but a fellow fibro sufferer!

Carrie
  3. ArkyFarmGirl

ArkyFarmGirl New Member

I have a perscription for Vioxx which I find quite helpful in controling pain and muscle tension. Unfortunately, it is so expensive that I can't afford to take it every day (like it should be taken). Last week I asked my doctor about substituting ibruprofen for the Vioxx. He said that taking ibruprofen daily in high doses would be unwise because it would "destroy the lining of your stomach". Maybe some others have some more information about this but this is what my doctor cautioned me.
  4. canarysue

canarysue New Member

Thank you for your answer. I don't have a lot of faith in this doctor I'm going to but hesitate to change (don't know why). I took celebrex and vioxx and loved them, but I can't take them because they make me swell terribly. Figures, I find something that works! lol I will look into ibuprofen further. Thanks again.

Carrie
  5. KLynn

KLynn New Member

is funny how doctors veiws can be so different....my doc said ib profin was perfectly fine...800 mg is the old prescription dose. i posted about it under migraines here somewhere. I took 800 mg every 4 to 6 hours for 3 months straight as an anti inflammatory for my ankles....oh my ankles felt soooo much better....it also did wonders for my migraines...i also know a few people in the chat room that take the same as i did and they are fine with it also....my tummy is fine and so is theres... hope i could help.

~KLynn
  6. chrissy

chrissy New Member

hi canarie, I used to take Ibu 800 mgrs, it felt wonderful even gave me a little buzz :>) but as soon as i stopped i felt worse, please be careful with that drug it has a reboud effect, i'm not making it up please read Fibromyalgia simple relief through movement by Stacie Bigelow and of course our bible "fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain by Starlanyl and Copeland. I find Ambien or Neurontin or trazodon more helpful . good luck.
  7. teach6

teach6 New Member

Eventually chances are high that Ibuprofen will irritate your stomach. I know that OTC meds do not touch my FM pain. I think I would look for a second opinion.

Barbara