Ice Cream Stomach..Thoughts

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by froggyfog, Mar 7, 2007.

1. froggyfog

froggyfog New Member

Recently whenever I eat ice cream I have the urge to go to the rest room fast...not diareha but soft stool. My stomach also has some mild cramping. This is all new and I can still eat chesse without any problem. I don't drink milk. Do you think I have becoming lactose intolerant or is something else going on? Thanks in advance for your input.

FroggyFog
  2. froggyfog

froggyfog New Member

When did your lactose intolerance begin? I am in my 40's and have ate ice cream my whole life. I just don't understand why now...should I be checked or do I just go on the symptoms and call myself "lactose intolerant". If it doesn't upset my stomach should I continue to eat chesse or will it cause some type of damage or inflamation?

Lots of questions Sorry and Thanks!
  3. Shalala

Shalala New Member

Be careful of those yummy frozen snickers bars.
  4. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

HI Froggy...
    Try not drinking milk or icecream for a week and then drink only a glass of milk and see what happens in the next 30 minutes..If you get along ok..then you can try the icecream the same way...there is lots of other stuff in it. there isn't any Xilatoyl in it..you could be reacting to that.

Happy snacks! GigglePoet
  5. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

How is the ice cream sweetened? With sugar or artificial sweeteners? I can't tolerate the ones that are artificially sweetened. Like you, they give me cramping in my stomach. I also have diahhrea. Since you say that eating cheese doesn't give you any problems, it doesn't sound like it is lactose intolerance to me.

Ellen
  6. froggyfog

froggyfog New Member

I'll check my ice cream and see what all is in it...I had cereal this morning with a little milk...that's the only way I can eat milk(don't care for the taste). Anyway no problem(so far)so it must be something in the ice cream.

I have ate two different kinds that has caused this so I wil check both of their ingredients.

Thanks!
  7. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

You may just be responding the the fat..your gallblader may not be able to break it down...this happens to my daughter inlaw..and she has to go to the bathroom imideitly..she said she has had to do this since a little girl..she can't eat anything that is fried and she said she has some trouble
    when she eats ice cream exspecailly at cold snow creamery. We are tring to figure this out with her. But we have it narrowed down to this.

God bless and good luck friend
  8. pat460

pat460 New Member

That happens to me as well sometimes(other foods also)when my ole buddy IBS rears it's ugly head. It may just be urgency and soft stools, then sometimes it turns into full blown diarrhea. I suggest if it only happens with ice cream-it probably is the ice cream. Have you changed brands or done anything different?
    You could try a different brand made by a totally different company and see if it still happens?

pat460

P.S. I just remembered something--when my girls were little and they got constipated, I gave them either a small fast food cheeseburger or....you guessed it--ice cream!!! Worked like a charm every time! So I guess, like the other post said, it could also be the fat![This Message was Edited on 03/08/2007]