Ice Cream substitute suggestions?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TwinMa, Dec 16, 2005.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I really like ice cream, but have figured out that if I have ice cream at night, I sleep much worse. I wake more during the night and wake up achier. I'm sure it's the sugar.

Any good suggestions for an ice cream substitute?

Katy
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I like Rice Dream. It's sweetened with brown rice syrup. It doesn't give you the sugar high that processed sugar gives you. It tasted a little different but there are several great flavors. I find regular to be too sweet now.

Kathy.
  3. windymountain

windymountain New Member

Hi! I agree...Rice Dream is a good subtitute...I rather enjoy the cocoa marble fudge. And the regular stuff, well, Dryers Grand sits better than the others in my delicate gut.
  4. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I'm currently using Country Club brand (Fudge Marble flavor), bought at Safeway. I just looked at the ingredients, Sheesh!!! Pretty scary stuff! No wonder it's keeping me awake! How many different forms of sugar can you list? They have MANY. And other stuff that I don't even know what it is!

My husband eats a BIG bowl of it every night topped with chocolate syrup. And he sleeps like a baby. Not fair!

Dreyers and Rice Dreams sound like good alternatives.

Katy
  5. cats3

cats3 New Member

Since I am allergic to milk I can't have regular ice cream.
    I like Tofutti nondairy premium frozen dessert.
    I get it at Whole Foods in the US.
    At times Tofutti will have coupons on their web site to try their products.
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

there is NEVER a good substitute for ice cream!!!!

I LOVE ICE CREAM!!!! It is my favorite thing in the world!! I certainly am glad that it doesn't keep me up at night!

I have never heard of Rice Dream - it must be something that is not in my part of the country!

So sorry that you can't enjoy ice cream in the evenings!

Janet
  7. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

That's part of the problem! LOL!!

My self discipline is not exactly terrific, so I still eat it. Now I know there is a price to pay, though! Darn!

Maybe I'll try ice cream with a Benadryl chaser. Then I would sleep! LOL!

Katy
  8. PVLady

PVLady New Member

If is is sugar, there is wonderful sugar free ice cream. I buy Dreyers. Yes, I believe sugar can aggravate pain.

9. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Unfortunately, you might just have to "bite the bullet" and either, give it up, or suffer the consequences. Don't mean to sound harsh, but if I eat ice cream, I feel awful the next day. It is the sugar, mostly, but also the dairy. I don't buy it, even though my husband loves it. He has gotten used to freezing peeled, ripe bananas and slicing them into a bowl. He pours sugar-free (Splenda) chocolate syrup over it and tops it all with Redi-Whip Cream. That satisfies his ice cream craving because the banana gets creamy once it is frozen. I've tried tossing the sliced frozen bananas in a food processor and it makes a tasty banana dessert. You could do the same with other frozen fruit, add a little Splenda and a little cream.

Good luck.
  10. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I have found an ice cream substitute I like! I am eating Dreyers sugar free ice cream. It is made with Splenda, which I'm sure has it's own issues, but seems to be better than sugar. It's not as creamy as full blown ice cream, but I got used to it pretty quickly. I like the Cookie Dough. It's good!

Rice Dream and Tofutti were too pricey for me, but I may still try them.

Now I need to find a substitute for that Chocolate Magic Shell topping that I put on my sugar free Dreyers!! LOL!! I am using less Magic Shell, so that's another step in the right direction.

I really feel like cutting down on sugar has made me feel better. I'm not waking up feeling like a truck hit me! Yeah! I think all that sugar right before bed was a very bad thing for me.

Thanks for everyone's good input!

Katy
  11. challryan

challryan New Member

Have you tried no fat no sugar added ice cream? Another frozen treat is frozen yogart. I like both of these. Good luck, I'm an icecream lover also.
  12. LdyM

LdyM New Member

Katy I need to avoid sugar due to Candida, so in the morning I pour a can of "Atkins Advantage" Shake Drink into a plastic container and freeze it. It is sweetened with Splenda and very tasty.

Then I take it out about 1/2 hr. before eating it to let it soften a bit. I keeps me busy for quite a while and really satisfys me.

I so look forward to this treat in the evening while watching TV and now enjoy it more than ice cream itself!

**LdyM
    [This Message was Edited on 01/16/2006]
  13. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Bryers. Used to buy a non dairy product called Tofutti that wasn't bad in cherry flavor, havn't seen it about of late. My mom eats Italian Ice-what's it called brain fog alert- well anyway it's made with juice and water, now I'll have to call her to ask what its called, it will drive me mad, darn fog!
    Crom
  14. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

They are little ice cream sandwiches, with a cookie inside and a chocolate coating....mmm...good! I like the vanilla or the mocha....
  15. kjfms

kjfms Member

Frozen yogart-I think it tastes much better than ice cream and it has a large varity of flavors mmmmmmmm!!!!!! ;)
  16. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

I can't have artificial sugar because of my gut and I am also lactose intolerant but the other day I saw that Breye's has come up with a lactose-free vanilla version. I only have a little but it doesn't bother me and it tastes soooo good.
  17. JLH

JLH New Member

My SIL swears by frozen grapes. When she gets them home from the store, she washs them and freezes them (the seedless kind) in individual baggies.

When she is watching TV or wants a snack, she just pops out a baggie and eats them frozen.

I tried this with some grapes that we had not been eating very quickly and I were afraid they were going to go bad. My grandsons loved them! They said they tasked like grape popsicles, only small and round!

My SIL also will take bananas and slice them up - place in baggie in single layer and lay baggie down in freezer so the bananas will freeze in single layer and not all clump up. She eats them the same way!

I tried some fresh peaches like that, but they are still in the freezer - haven't gotten out to eat yet!