Ice Cream

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Member, Jun 21, 2003.

1. Member

Member New Member

Hi everyone - when eating ice cream, has anyone found any connection between eating ice cream at night and getting a flareup in the morning? I also wonder about other dairy products, as well?? luvyas..........Member Pat
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

I absolutely love ice cream!!!!!!!!!

No, I have not found any connection between eating it at night with a flare the next morning. But then, even if I did, I probably could not pass up a huge bowl of my favorite ice cream.

I like the good quality creamy kind, but wow, it is getting
    so expensive!

Other dairy products do not play a part in my flareups either.

I have some Golden Vanilla ice cream in the kitchen now that I think I'm going to have to go get. :)

3. schnoodle

schnoodle New Member

Seems like I can't stay away from it lately. Rite Aid (Used to be Thriftys) has their Special Occasion brands and they are sooooo yummy. Never thought of the connection with flaring. I wonder if I could give it up enough to find out. Just had a scoop as I was signing on this evening. Yummy
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

If you are eating any kind of ice cream but an all natural kind say like 'Breyers', you are probably allergic to the chemicals and artificial sweetners.

If its natural, then it could be the milk or the sugar.

I can eat the natural, but I am not big on ice cream and eat a half cup at a time. I am find, but if I eat the non-natural kind I am as sick as a dog, from a flare and stomach problems, and I am not above getting a serious headache too.

Hope you find out what is causing it.........

Shalom, Shirl
  5. DragonBall

DragonBall New Member

i dont like ice cream much,but its a good thing a hour after eating i get bunged up with a sinus head ache and have allergic reations to the chemicals.sweets are just the same!
  6. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

Love it, it Hates me tho. I use to eat a bowl eveynight while watching tv, the hubby and me, it was so nice and comforting.

I started getting sick from it tho, and back in 1990, I had a really bad gallblader flare up, that put me in the ER, and finally ended up having Surgery that next day. Man I still remember that Pain, so much worse than having a Baby as far as I'm concerned.

Now I can hardly eat it at all, we had some last week, and my IBS, and GERD went into full swing. Gut ache so bad I spent the day in bed. So I will have to just look the other way when I see some one eating IceCream.

Sincerely
    kredca4
  7. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Ring a bell?

Refined sugars and chemicals are like poison to us when you have CFS/FM.

Pat.
  8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Sugar is poison. But, I'd rather be dead than never again have Breyers Butter Pecan! I just try to resist as much as I can.
    Klutzo
  9. Shirl

Shirl New Member

You and I have got to be related! First we are both nuts on keeping things in their place, now you are a lover of the one and only ice cream that I do eat! Butter Pecan, yes Breyer's all natural ONLY.............

Let me know if you ever want to 'run away' from home, I have two extra bedrooms, your choice, upstairs or downstairs!!

Shalom, Shirl

PS I do live in the middle of the woods though, five acres of fenced woods live on one acre in the middle :)

[This Message was Edited on 06/22/2003]
  10. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I'm playing the theme from Twilight Zone right now! Did you see the talk show where they had the "expert" who supposedly could tell your personality from your favorite ice cream? Butter Pecan lovers like us are supposed to be control freaks, and by our perfectly arranged closets, I'd say they may be onto something there!
    BTW, I do have one other bad food that I cannot resist...dark chocolate fudge with pecans in it. Pecans seem to be a reoccurring theme with me.
    I also eat them on my oatmeal each morning for Omega-3 oils, or at least that's the excuse I use.
    Next you'll be telling me your favorite color is moss green (that's mine). :)
    Klutzo
  11. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

Regarding ice cream? It flies in the face of common sense, but it is usually given either a 50 or below rating on it's effect on glucose..Whereas, less refined sugary foods, such as, oatmeal, brown rice, sweet corn, bananas, whole wheat bread, etc. get much higher ratings..Now, what is that all about? I like the permissiveness given, but it is really hard to believe that it is true..
  12. Jen F

Jen F New Member

...types a certain guilty person who just needed a little reward and enjoyment in life, OKAY???!!! :]

And to the sugar police:

Uh, no, uh, that's not Haagen Daaz rocky road spilled on my clothes...
  13. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I am really stunned here, yes Moss Green (Marine Green) in my favorite color, and yes I love homemade dark chocolate fudge with pecans, I used to make my own, but can't stir the pot anymore!
    I loved them so much, that I would 'hide' then from everyone in the house. Its the crunchy kind, the old fashioned receipt that used to be on the Hershey's chocolate box.

I also eat oatmeal, but did not think to put the pecans in it.

I am also a big lover of fresh cherries, figs, and I am a dyed in the wool potato eater, I eat potatoes any kind of way you can cook them, I will even eat them raw......

Yes, I am a control freak, but I do try to keep it down, as it is stressful to be this way. Just ask my husband, he just lets me 'control', its easier than fighting me.

Gee, this is spooky!

Shalom, Shirl

[This Message was Edited on 06/22/2003]
  14. lmn

lmn New Member

I have been on a roll lately eating ice cream (my favorite is Edy's Espresso Chip), chocolate, Starbuck's frozen Mochachino, and any carb I can get my hands on. Well, I gained 4 pounds in one week!!! Not only that, but I feel horrible! I was sitting at the kitchen table last night wondering why I was so tired and sore, and why I couldn't think of the name of the "thing" I wanted my daughter to pass to me (it was a wooden spoon).

Then, it occurred to me. Sugar! It definitely affects me, and brain fog is one of my major symptoms. I had been doing well not eating a lot of carbs and I had no brain fog at all, and my pain level was not too bad. As soon as I started eating them, it was back. Of course the weight gain is a problem too, as I need to lose 25 lbs. anyway.

So, I decided when I got up this morning, I'm going to eliminate refined sugar, and other carbs as well. I truly want to feel better, but sometimes I have absolutely no willpower. Any advice on how to deal with withdrawl/and lack of willpower will be greatly appreciated!

Enjoy the day...The sun is actually shining here in South Central Mass :)

lmn
  15. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Plantscaper - FAT is the reason why Ice cream is low on the glycemic index. It causes it to be absorbed more slowly, and this is one reason why low-fat foods are so dangerous.

Shirl - Phew! I was getting spooked there for a moment, but rest easy, we are not long-lost twins, seperated at birth. I love cherries, but I hate figs, and I gave up potatoes for my low carb diet without a backward glance. Maybe it's my husband you are related to...he would eat potatoes at every meal if I serve them. :)

Imn - I tried over and over to give up refined carbs and failed, never sticking to a diet for more than 2 yrs. at a time. But, when I went low carb/high protein, I succeeded. Giving up all high glycemic index carbs, even the unrefined ones, and making sure you have constant protein coverage, will banish those cravings like you would not believe. I gave up potatoes, bread, pasta, rice, all juices, jams, beets, carrots, corn, and of course, all sugars. I use Stevia for sweetner, which is a safe herbal product. Even though I have cheated a bit lately, I can control it now, where I could not before. I lost 17 lbs. without any hunger, and my cholesterol labs improved dramatically. Pasta and potatoes, for example, are both higher on the glycemic index than most desserts, so it's no wonder the cravings continue if you only give up sweets.

Klutzo
  16. tulip922s

tulip922s New Member

Gave up ice cream 5 years ago,,,,wow,,,,was that tough.

I too try to watch the sugar, but, every now and then a cup of Rice Dream Ice Cream does it for me.

Best of luck and try to cut out the dairy and sugar. Best of luck. Tulip