ice cube trays???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CHefPaula1965, Aug 17, 2006.

1. CHefPaula1965

CHefPaula1965 New Member

does any one else have difficulty getting ice cubes out of an ice cube tray..............
    my hands are usually so sore I cannot perform this simple task!!!
    much to the chagrin of my family who thinks that I am exagerating!!
    Need support..
    thanks
    Paula
  2. get a large plate,put it under the ice cube tray,making sure the ice cube tray is up side down.put the tray and plate under the cold or hot water tap,and let the water run onto the up side down tray for about 30 seconds.

then tip the plate slightly to get rid of water,and then lightly slap the ice cube tray with the palm of your hand,or a spoon,the ice cubes will fall onto the plate and can then be used for whatever you want to put then in.

kind regards
    fran
  3. CHefPaula1965

CHefPaula1965 New Member

Thank you for your kind suggestion....
    I was also wondering if any one else with FM had this problem???
    Thanks
    Paula
  4. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

I can do no twisting of any kind.

Jana
  5. tata1580

tata1580 New Member

opening things...like water bottles and etc. Also and thing that I need to get my finger together to do..cant seem to get close enogh together and they wont stay that way to hold on to things.

You are not alone.
    Tami
  6. beeleaf

beeleaf New Member

The water thing sounds like a good suggestion. Warm water feels good, too.
  7. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Hi Paula:

We have an ice maker, but it was constantly freezing up (due to overuse, I am guessing). We have ice cube trays, but the only way that I can get the cubes out is to run warm water over the backs...then they pop out. Yes, I lose some in the sink, but most of them get into the ice container...and I still use my ice crusher.

If I cannot do it this way, I end up breaking the ice trays, as I have to really twist extra hard, and sometimes need to hold one end with all my body, and then twist...and the plastic breaks...cannot tell you how many ice trays we have gone through. I have not found one yet that can withstand my method...not even Martha Stewarts!

Ingrid
  8. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I was thinking of spraying the ice trays with Pam, but that would be gross...

I have an ice maker and the ice and water on the door of the refrigerator.

Back in the old days we used to have the metal ice trays with handles you lifted up, but they were a pain also. I didn't have FMS back when I used ice trays.

Some trays are easier to get ice out of than others.

Forget I ever said anything about Pam at all... Please! :)

If you take the ice tray out and let it sit on the counter for 15 minutes it may be easier then to get it out. I remember struggling back in the 80's with that. We didn't have an ice maker from 1978 through part of 1988.

Hugs,
    Faye
    Now you know why I don't post very often but on the Diabetes board... lol
  9. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

wax your ice cube trays. I know I read a household hint where you wax something.

Oh, yeah. It was the dustpan. That way the dust will slip off easily.

As Peg Brackeen said, "If you don't think it's a problem, ignore the solution."

Around our house we have no trouble w/ ice cubes at all. We keep the freezer jammed so full there's no room for an ice cube tray.

That's my tip for the day. Happy to have helped.
  10. CHefPaula1965

CHefPaula1965 New Member

Thank you so much for all the responses!!
    I am glad to see that I am not the only one that
    has trouble with such an easy task!!!
    and that it is not "all in my head" ... my DH just doesnt understand this one!!
    (only about the ice)
    Thanks again
    Paula
    [This Message was Edited on 08/18/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 08/18/2006]
  11. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I love your handle...are you a chef? I love to cook and bake- toady I am canning peaches. I hope you have a pain-free day! Terri
  12. CHefPaula1965

CHefPaula1965 New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome!!!
    I am not a chef with training as a chef......... however I love to create in the kitchen.......... I love to bake and cook......... have not gotten into canning though.....
    I make my cakes from scracth and meals from scratch.........
    I also "invent" recepies based on the things I know my "littles" will eat.........
    BTW my dr just upped my pain meds so I am pretty sure I should have at better day than the past few weeks
    Paula
  13. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Here's an easy recipe my son made up:
    take a bunch of seedles grapes and dip them in vanilla yogurt. Lay them on a tray and freeze. Delicious! You could also do this with strawberries, bananas, etc. Terri
  14. CHefPaula1965

CHefPaula1965 New Member

Thanks Terri,
    I will try this I think my "littles" will like it!!
    Thanks
    Paula
  15. starmom

starmom New Member

paula,

I think I know you from another board. I mentioned that my dh does all the ice cube trays. He is the one who took them all out to melt when he found them sitting out after work one day, early in our marriage.

Glad you found this board, I have gotten much help here.

The other way I cope with the ice cube tray thing is to keep a small dorm size fridge JUST for individual cans of soda, bottles of water, etc... We all enjoy it, and I don't have to do ice cube trays!

As far as your DH, have him read "A letter to normals", may need to google to find it. Also search under Starlanyl on google for info that helps. Is last name of one of the best docs around.

Hope your doc visit goes well today. Ask re: lyrica (helps with nerve pain), lidoderm patches (amazing for indiv areas that hurt) and any other meds that you think may help.

Hugs,

Susie
  16. CHefPaula1965

CHefPaula1965 New Member

Yes I reccognize you too!!
    Thanks for the info and for sending me here!!!!
    My doctor is going to order the Lycira in 3 weeks or so..
    he started me on something else first and wants to wait
    a few weeks to make sure I tolerate that........
    But yes, I actually asked for Neurontin and he said taht this Lycira (sp?) was a lot better.. so we will see in a few weeks!!
    Hugs
    Paula
  17. JaneMarieIsHere

JaneMarieIsHere New Member

There are days I can't open a pill bottle I normally open every single day. Weakness/strength varies dramatically every single day.
  18. CHefPaula1965

CHefPaula1965 New Member

it is kinda easy...............
    i kinda just throw it all together LOL
    I use 3 eggs 1 stick real unsalted butter soft
    2 cups of sugar............. beat at high speed until very smooth and fluffy................
    slowly add 2 cups of flower to the mix...
    add 2 tsp real vanilla.........
    I also like to add a little rum or rum flavoring.......
    Bake at 350 until golden brown and pin comes out clean..
    this needs to be baked in a "bread" pan........
    if you want to use a cake pan and be a little fancier
    pur this mixture in to the pan and make topping
    1c brown sugar
    1c white sugar
    1/2 cup butter
    1/2 flour
    mix until roughly mixed should look and feel like clumpy sand.............
    enjoy.............
    Paula
    PS I cant promise that all these proportions are correct.... I just start with that an look for the consistancy I need........ should be runny like a cake mix..... [This Message was Edited on 08/18/2006]
  19. starmom

starmom New Member

Neurontin and lyrica are similar in working. It just takes a LOT more neurontin to do what a little lyrica does. So getting upt o a therapeautic dose is easier with lyrica, but it is expensive.

I have few side effects from it. Says it can make you feel stoned like, but I have not had this. I didn't think it was doing much, then I ran out. Had to wait 4 days for payday to refill it. YIKES. It was doing a LOT!

I love to bake from scratch too. We will have to trade recipes.

My youngest has started to like "smoothies" instead of breakfast. I use frozen fruit, milk (or Silk) and yogurt. Soemtimes some protein powder, sometimes an ice cube or two. If I leave out the ice, he will finish it after school

EASY breakfast!!

Susie
  20. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

love i don't need a man for anything in the house...

jodie