Ice road truckers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by joyfully, Sep 9, 2007.

1. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I was watching the finale of the ice road truckers series on TV tonight. This is about the semi trucks that haul equipment over frozen lakes to the DeBeer (SP???) mines in N. Canada.

I found out something interesting tonight while the guys were sitting around a table and reminessing(more sp. errors)

Although the program is about Canadian truckers driving across Canadian Lakes----the program series was NOT shown in Canada. Go figure!
  2. sisland

sisland New Member

I've Never heard of this But it sounds very interesting and scarey! I love watching shows like this! It sounds like a National Geographic special!

I'll have to watch for it! wow Not shot in Canada,,,,,,,,,,Sis
  3. Doober

Doober New Member

Is pretty cool. Those guys who drive the trucks have nerves of steel as far as I am concerned. Is it worth it to risk your life? Well if you think of it any trucker risks his/her life every day by driving long distant, especially when there are moronic drivers who seem to think that cutting off a truck or switching lanes around it is no big deal.

26 inches is thick if you think of it, that is over 2 feet of ice thickness. You know I sort of would like to travel and take a few trips with a trucker, it must be quite a rush and a beautiful site in the wilderness with all that snow.

Strange that it is not shown in Canada, although doesn't surprise me as it is an american TV channel and we know how americans are just eating up those reality

4. mmztcass

mmztcass New Member

likes to watch this show. I've watched a few times. I marvel at what these truckers can do!

Take care... :)
  5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

...History Channel has a full day of this show and we watched much of it.

What an interesting show. I was amazed that something like this acutally happens. Very scary occupation for the men and for the families left at home.

Amazing that it wasn't shown in Canada. One has to wonder why? Who made that decision not to show it?

6. Busyknitter2

Busyknitter2 New Member

My husband watched every one of this series. He has been a truck driver for many years. Doober is so right they do risk their lifes everyday even if they are not on the ice. People that cut them off, pull up so they can't turn. He had someone pass him on the shoulder the other day. One time he was sitting with his right turn signal on waiting to turn and a car came flying up next to him on the right. The truckers get blamed for so much. People who have never driven a truck do not know how hard it is and that it takes more to turn a corner and if you can not see the driver in his mirror he can not see you.

I told my husband that there was no way I could stand for him to be an ice trucker.

7. biddys2007

biddys2007 New Member

My husband is a trucker and has been for the past 14 years,i went with him several times until the ra acted up to much. you see a lot and learn a lot and i agree the truckers do get blamed for a lot but there are also some bad ones out there,we watched the ice road drivers and i thought i worried about my hubby but boy i would really lose it if he did the ice roads. i know he wouldn't do them anyway because he can't stand the cold. we to wondered why they didn't show that in canada. my hubby would like to have the dvd's of the whole series so i'am going to see if i can get them for him for xmas. i know they have a websight just have to take time and get on it. have a great evening and keep on trucking. biddy
  8. joyfully

joyfully New Member

40 BELOW zero!

I loved how the series explained the importance of only going 15 miles an hour over the ice so it wouldn't build up pressure waves. That one young man who would volunteer to take the oversized loads because they paid additional bonuses. Can you imagine how top heavy that truck was. The tonnage of freight on those trucks was unbelievable.
  9. omeeomy

omeeomy New Member

Trucking is also done like this in Alaska.

My son does this work in Alaska only he hauls for the oil fields.

At times this past winter it was -60 to -80 below at times.

He makes a living for his family the pay is not as great as you think. The danger is very real.

He flys approximately 27 hundred miles 1 way every 3wks. He works at the Arctic Ocean. A couple of years ago he worked 6wks in Canada. They wanted him to go back but he said no.

Just wanted to throw that in. By the way we do watch Ice Truckers & as a Mom it is very scary. He leaves his wife & 2 children every 3wks behind. Praying to see them in the next 3wks.

10. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Yes, my DH has watched most of the series , I think. I have watched some of it too. It surely is was interesting but extremely scarely. I cannot imagine anyone's loved one doing this and having to worry about if the ice is going to melt any time soon. I don't care how much they were getting paid !!