ICE STORM?? Why can't forcasters ever say anything definate?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by painterZ, Dec 14, 2007.

1. painterZ

painterZ New Member

If you say the word "snow" in Baltimore people go nuts, but say "ice" and its full out panic. We go through this every year and I don't get it. Mention that a hurricane or big 'nor easter is coming and everyone runs to Ocean City to see the giant waves. Humans are so interesting. Anyway for days the weather forcasters have changed their predictions from rain to a big ice storm and everything in between. Each news station says something slightly different but they all brag about their million dollar dopplar radars. I think I'll invest in a farmer's almanac this new year. I'll bet those farmers can call things with some accuracy since they've done it for so long.

So how are things further north and in the mid-west? Do you guys handle things any better than we do? Don't get me my Bal-dee-more...just curious.

Hope everyone stays safe, warm and dry!

2. kjade

kjade New Member

I'm in the mid-west, and we've been hearing about this big storm for a week. OF COURSE, now that I don't have to go anywhere, it is not snowing at all - of course! It only starts snowing about 2 hours before I have to leave for work - before the plows get a chance to get out and get things a little clean.

I'm sorry, but I think the forecasters here turn any little weather change into this huge dramatic event.......then nothing happens. When I watch the morning news before work, the entire show will be devoted to the weather, not much news or sports, just weather.

I wish the storm would get here already! I want to see some snow while I'm decorating and getting ready for Christmas. It was a green Christmas last year, and I was bummed.
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

PainterZ, you expressed close to what I've been wondering for a year.

First of all, why, all of a sudden, is weather so urgent?? We live in the midwest; we have winter. In winter, we have snow and ice. I mean....... get a GRIP. And then why so much of the time, do they over-forecast?? They get people in a panic (me included) for days, then nothing happens or like last week's major ice storm, it sleeted for three minutes and quit.

I still say the best way to figure out the weather is to look out the window.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest!

4. painterZ

painterZ New Member

the white stuff, but here ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. No ice, no snow, it rained an inch and we needed it but even that was much less then forcasted.

If some sort of major storm was coming I could understand the need for bottled water and batteries, but milk, bread and toilet paper, that just makes me laugh. out the window sounds like the best thing I've heard in a while.

Stay safe.