Ice Tea and Mold Please Read

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by suzetal, Apr 11, 2006.

  1. suzetal

    suzetal New Member

    I drink a lot of ice tea.............. Powdered mix All brands all flavors...............Including green tea. Sweetened or unsweetened.

    I could not believe this.........No matter what type of container you mix it in if left out for 2 days it develops MOLD..............I have it by my PC cause I drink it all the time and cant get up every five minutes to get some..............Also by the end of the day my straw has mold in it.

    My point is if it grows mold outside of refrigeration .WHAT is it doing inside our body's that are warm..................Mold????????

    Sue
  2. 1horse

    1horse New Member

    I hope not cause I drink sun tea all the time..Pretty soon we wont be able to drink water cause it will be bad for you..my oh my! whats next... take care peg
  3. sept

    sept New Member

    If you have a clear pitcher, you can hold it up to a window and see a globby like swirl....that's the mold. My Mom taught me to keep tea in refrigerator. It does last longer.
  4. sues1

    sues1 New Member

    I have never found mold....and sometimes a glass with some in it will set a day or two. Or even longer if I go away.

    I am trying to make sense of this. I use Nestea, powered.

    I guess you are only finding it there? Not in a glass of water left out or any other drink? I was wondering about your water supply. Do you have water from a water plant or a well?
    Well I do use filtered water,,,,,maybe that is the difference?

    My husband is a straw user....and I have not seen it there.
    Sometimes I wash the straws (I have a little bit of miser in me).

    I also use a little bleach about once a week in washing glasses, so they do not have a stain, I feel they are cleaner.

    Mmmmmmm. Susan
    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 04/13/2006</i>]
  5. suzetal

    suzetal New Member

    It is filtered 4 times befor I get it.And I use nest tea or store brand.

    The mold is very fine and all over.

    It looks like you just have a dirty glass but it looks like little white specks.

    In a plastic jug it looks black it will start as small specks and than grow.It starts off as small specks of white than turns black.

    Sue.

    Ps maybe someday Ill post a picture of a jug with the tea in it and the line that has turned to mold
  6. HagerTX

    HagerTX New Member

    Mold prefers a moist, warm environment, so it's more apt to grow in tea that's at room temp than in the fridge (although it can grow in either place).

    The stomach acids will most likely prevent any further growth of mold after you eat it (low pH of stomach acid etc)
  7. sues1

    sues1 New Member

    A couple of things I found by surfing:


    1. Perhaps there are mould spores in the tea leaves which you used. Best is the green tea. Green tea is from the same plant as the black tea except that green tea has not been fermented. Green tea contains less caffeine and a little more tannic acid. Many health benefits are attributed to the green tea. So try to get green tea in your tea shop.

    =====
    I recently bought a Nestea ice tea drink in a plastic bottle. The date on the bottle was Oct.22 01 Still good and was sealed, but When I took a drink it didn't taste right. When I took my second drink I had notice something floating ( White slimy mass ) kinda looked like snot or phlem...lol But anyhow I was told it was mold when I had called the company to report this. They said It was from air getting in to the container. So my question is Has anyone seen this or something like this before?
  8. petsrme

    petsrme Member

    I have always kept my tea in the refrigerator. I thought you had too. I guess I learned this by working in a restaurant. We had to throw it out after a several hours because it would start to ferment or have that funny taste. I get upset if my family leaves the pitcher out for long. Thanks for the post though. It makes you think.
  9. kdeenak

    kdeenak New Member

    My mom taught me to always keep the tea in the frig. We never ever let it sit out. She always told me it would spoil and make us sick. So that is what I do, and I thought that was just a common practice. I pour it out if it is left out.

    As far as what it does inside our bodies, the moment you swallow it, it quickly goes to your stomach and is filtered through your body to be used to hydrate you, so it doesn't have time to ferment, mold or anything. Think about when you drink milk, that doesn't spoil does it?

    Deena
  10. Adl123

    Adl123 New Member

    Dear sue,
    Are you taliing about the prepared or powdered teas? I ask, because, in the summer I drink a lot of iced tea. I use herbal and green teas. I steep them hot and then add mountain spring or distilled water. I have never had any mold anywhere, and I have a very big mold allergy. I keep it in the fridge for days, and there is never anything of any kind that should not be there, in the jar.

    Maybe it's the water you are using, or the mix..

    Thanks for this thread. It is a good thng to know that there is a danger.

    Terry
  11. suzetal

    suzetal New Member

    I will keep it in the fridge from now on.

    Sue
  12. adversity22

    adversity22 New Member

    I brought a carton of lemon flavoured ice tea from a local LIDL store lastnight..got home put it in the fridge where it stayed all night..unopened. today, i opened it and was just about to finish my second cup when i noticed something floating at the bottom!!? ...darks round patchs (kinda looks like little jelly fish lol) made up of loads of little spots, also has green bits on alots of the patches!!? i was horrofied! so i poured the rest of the carton in a big pan to see if anything was in the rest.. theres bloody loads of the stuff! i read the carton to see if anywhere there mentioned anything like i duno &quot;may contains bits ect&quot;..but says nothing of the kind. someone suggested that it may possible be &quot;lemon slices&quot;..lol..so i checked ingredients just to make sure..no mention of &quot;lemon slices or bits lol&quot; (not like i expected there to be. iv brought icetea in bottles and cartons from stores before and NEVER seen anything floating in it before!) so anyway, iv rang up LIDL customer services, told them about it, they'v taken some details barcode ect and said to keep the contents an stuff and that their investigating it and it will take 8-10 working days before they contact me again... im 2 days from my due date for my baby and trying not to freak out. after reading these posts, i remember'd when i picked up the ice tea carton, it was just out in a pile with all the others, not in a fridge. anyone no if icetea in a carton is suppost to be in a fridge?? just thinking now what if some else also buys some that happends to be allergic to pennicillin? :O.. also if it definatly turns out to be mold (which i highly doubt its anything else) can i sue?
    <br><br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 07/04/2012</i>]
  13. Sansofpa

    Sansofpa New Member

    It's not causing mold inside of your body. &lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    Tis the mold season . . leave anything out that should&lt;BR&gt;
    be refrigerated and if your atmosphere is ripe, it will&lt;BR&gt;
    grow mold.&lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    The bottom of your glass/cup will begin turning gray/black,&lt;BR&gt;
    too . . just throw it away, and ... you should never re-use a&lt;BR&gt;
    straw for any beverage.&lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    I know more about mold than I care to. &lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    ~Sans
  14. gb66

    gb66 Active Member

    We buy the large plastic bottles of tea that are in the refrigerated section of the grocery store. They have an expiration date on them and must be kept refrigerated too.&lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    We always make sure to use them before the date expires. I have also, at times, seen the gooey jelly-like stuff in the bottom of the bottle after drinking all the tea. I think it's just tea and not mold. If you shake the bottle before pouring, it helps this not to form. This has just been my observation, not sure what it is but never worried about it. GB66&lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;