I'd like to get a free cell phone--anyone know how?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by artyreader, Dec 3, 2010.

1. artyreader

artyreader Member

A poster on this website mentioned that there are free cell phones for 'qualified' people. Does anyone know a website or other info where I can see if I (we) can get one? Thanks.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/04/2010]
    [This Message was Edited on 12/04/2010]
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

put this in search. I tried to find it for you,but there were too many to go thru.

from what I can remember it was a cellphone with 10mins for emergencies.
  3. quanked

quanked Member

Are you just looking for a stand alone cell phone or a cell phone that comes with a plan of some sorts?

I think it would be fairly easy to obtain a cell phone itself free. We have a local website called "freecycle" where people give away things and people post requests for things they need and of course everything has to be free.

In terms of service and usage minutes for free well that is another issue entirely.

If you are looking for some kind of cheap phone service then you might give magic jack a try. It does work.

I will be interested to read further responses.

One more thing, people donate unwanted cell phones to our local crisis center for victims of domestic violence. The phones can only be used to call 911 unless the individual can afford to obtain a service plan be it month to month or a long term contract.
  4. lea

lea Member

5. quanked

quanked Member

6. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Also you could try assurancewireless.com. I've seen ad's for that company as well.

7. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

interesting that a company would do this
  8. quanked

quanked Member

It is interesting. I know that we pay a tax or fee on our landline's monthly charges that goes toward funding landline phones for financially qualified individuals. Wonder if this cell phone program works the same.

If it does then it is a mandated service the cell companies provide and not necessarily a something done out of concern. The funding may come via taxes/fees charged to cell phone customers. I guess my age is showing here ; )
  9. artyreader

artyreader Member

sorry, I've been so stressed and distracted, don't come on this site every day, and forgot that I asked this--Ok, so this is late, but thank you so much for info.
    I've noted it down and will check it out (I'm going through a major flare and lots of stressors right now and you know how it gets!)
  10. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

assurance.com--they are connected with some states with their low income programs. go to their website and see what states are particpating in this program.