I'd like to get it off my chest....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ArkyFarmGirl, Aug 27, 2002.

1. ArkyFarmGirl

ArkyFarmGirl New Member

I mean...I'd like to get whatever is standing on my chest...off!!! Does anyone else experience the sensation of something pushing on your chest? Sometimes it is difficult to tell whether the discomfort is originating in the front or upper back. The tightness feels like it encases my lungs. It feels like I have been running a race and my ribcage is tight and sore. I would like to know if anyone else has this problem and what they do to ease it. Thanks ahead of time for your help.
  2. ArkyFarmGirl

ArkyFarmGirl New Member

I mean...I'd like to get whatever is standing on my chest...off!!! Does anyone else experience the sensation of something pushing on your chest? Sometimes it is difficult to tell whether the discomfort is originating in the front or upper back. The tightness feels like it encases my lungs. It feels like I have been running a race and my ribcage is tight and sore. I would like to know if anyone else has this problem and what they do to ease it. Thanks ahead of time for your help.
  3. LuvMeCritters

LuvMeCritters New Member

I only get that type of feeling when a panic attack is threatening. And since you don't have any other symptoms than the sensation of something pushing on your chest, I'm sure that's not what you're experiencing. Could it be muscles tightening up? I do get pain on my left side under my ribs, radiating towards my back. For that I take Flexeril (muscle relaxer). Sorry I can't be of more help to you, but I'm sure others will be along to give some opinion/advice. Hope you find some relief soon!

Regina
  4. homeskillet19

homeskillet19 New Member

I am sorry you are in pain!!!!
    go get checked with your doctor and then after you rule out that there is not a serious problem.
    okay saying that I get that feeling sometimes it can becaused by a few trigger points a good book for that is....
    fibromyalgia
    &
    Myofascial Pain Syndrome
    A survial manual
    by: Dr devin Starlanyl &
    mary ellen copeland M.d.
    it is great for finding trps and it gives you alot of the syptoms and what trps are causing them.
    the ones that come to my mind are the ones located on the sides of your breast about 3 inches under your underarm.
    take a warm bath with epsom salt and then have someone hoist you out of the tub, you doing it will only aggravate those trps more, massage is good also.
    and if you can locate the trp do tigger point release therapy, have someone put there thumb right on the trp and hold for no less then 1 minute but it is better to try and hold for 2 minutes, you will feel it release and then rub the area and it is best to do it after a warm bath so your muscles are relaxed more, then put on a cream of your choice then rest that muscle and slowly get to where you can stretch it and keep in mind NO it is not no pain no gain, if you feel it starting to pull as you stretch stop there then , dont try to make it stretch if it dont want to, just keep repeatng ituntil you can go alittle further and remember rest the muscles!!
    it also can be a number of trps in your neck and chest that are causing the pain, od the same proceedure with them.
    I hope this helps and I hope you get relief soon!!!
    Your friend,
    Denise
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Denise described the pressure points for you, but by all means go have it check out. I did. They found nothing wrong with my heart or lungs, but there is always a chance that something could be wrong.

I have that pain in the chest and upperback with that 'squeezing' feeling right now. I mopped my kitchen and vacuumed my den yeasterday! That is one of the things that will bring it on, then sometimes it just comes without any cause that I can put my finger on.

I can put my thumb on the pressure points(2) on each side of my chest, and my huband can touch the four right below my neck and above the shoulder blades on my back.

A good soak will help, and a rub afterwards.

Before I knew what this was, I would say that I felt like an 'elephant' had his foot on my chest!

Please do like we did and have it check out as soon as you can, there is so much that will mimic Fibro or visa versa.

Shalom, Shirl

6. clueless

clueless New Member

i have a problem withpressure in the stomach area and am very short of breath. I dread going to bed because it is so much worse when I am lying down and if I should roll over on my back. I have had a cat scan of the stomach. all sorts of breathing tests and now an MRI of the mid thoracic spine ( do not have results yet ) Am really in a quandry as to the cause and doctors seem to be also. All I know is that it is getting worse and after almost choking to death once in my life it is making me very uneasy and don`t know what to do at this point. Has anyone ever had this problem and can it be part of fibro? Any info will be most welcome!!
  7. ArkyFarmGirl

ArkyFarmGirl New Member

I so appreciate all of your encouraging words and advice. Thank you, Shirl, for describing the feeling perfectly as squeezing. Yes...I know that I should have these things checked out my a doctor but I'm sure that most of you know that this is just not viable for people without health insurance in the US. If I was still living in Canada, I would be at my doctor for every new symptom. As it is, I just cannot afford to go to the doctor unless it is a medical emergency or for my annual check-up which I need to get my perscriptions renewed. Unfortunatly, I have to be my own diagnostic clinic (at least initially) unless things become so scarey or obviously heart/stroke related that I can't ignore the risk. This pressure in my chest is not accompanied by any other heart attack type symptoms and, most importantly, is not usually the result of exertion. I know that reminding me to check with a doctor is a good safe way of dealing with it but surely some others on this board have the same dilemna as I do when it comes to doctor visits, tests, meds, etc? I am thankful to find that others here have experienced a similar sensation ...I guess that is what we all are looking for....someone to say "you're not alone". Thanks again to all who posted responses.