I'd like to introduce myself

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bjt80, Sep 5, 2005.

1. bjt80

bjt80 New Member

Hello! I'm 53 yrs. old, married, with an 18 yr.old daughter. I have fibromyalgia, arthritis, scoliosis, bone spurs on the spine and left heel, and just last week I was told I have Spina Bifida! That explains the pain I have had all my life! No one took me seriously though and called it "growing pains".

I have just started physical therapy and hopefully that will help a litte with the scoliosis and some of the pain.

This DX of Spina Bifida has really thrown me for a loop! I find myself getting angry b/c no one took me seriously all these yrs. I know I shouldn't do that, and try not to think that way, but sometimes I just can't help it.

I've been a stay at home mom with the exception of part time jobs off and on, so I don't think I qualify for SSD.I do need the income now, but I really don't think I can work anywhere. I can only stand for 5-10 minutes, and sit for maybe 20-30 min. My reumatologist told me he'd rather I just lie down!

Ok, I guess I'm just venting here. I've been reading these posts for a while and have only replied once b/c I'm usually exhausted, but I believe everyone who posts here cares about everyone else.
    Does anyone else have Spina Bifida along with Fibromyalgia?And how do you cope with it all?

2. 123sandra

123sandra New Member

Just thought I'd say a BIG hello and WELCOME.
    Vent all you want, everyone here listens.
    We all know the pain, one way or another.
    LOL and Hugs
    Sandra
  3. brit_17759

brit_17759 New Member

to say hi and welcome to the board

hugs
    brit
  4. Rose_Red

Rose_Red New Member

I'm michele but I also answer to Rose lol. It's great to meet you. Feel free to vent away. Everybody does at some point.

You can call Social Security and ask them if you've made enough to collect. If your husband's working I doubt you'll be eligible for SSI.

I was Dx'd with growth pains also.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what Spina Bifida is. I can relate and I feel for you. I ws just diagnosed with diabetes.

~michele
  5. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

i dont have Spina Bifida but i do have:
    Cfs fms,allergic rhinitis,asthma,raynauds disease,restless leg syndrome,myofacial pain syndrome.
    Sygrens syndrome etc etc etc.
    Theres not enough room to list them all & i havent got the energy to do so because im so weary./
    A very warm welcome to you & hope to hear from you again.
    Fibrolady37.
  6. heartinheaven

heartinheaven New Member

I don't have SB but I have a friend who has... I know you are going through a lot. My thoughts and prayers will be with you as you go through all the processes of dx and treatment as well applying for ssi.

prayers and blessings

H Michael
  7. elsa

elsa New Member

I don't have spina bifida, ... I do want to show my support for you though. I think I'd be a raving lunetic if I had gone my entire life with such a serious problem and no one caught it until now.

I'm actually impressed with your restraint!

I wish I had some words of wisdom for you .... I hope you
    can feel a bit better soon.

Take care,

Elsa
  8. tandy

tandy New Member

Welcome!
    I have a few of your conditions tho not Spina Bifada.
    I have arthritis in a few joints, Scoliosis,Fibro and Endometriosis. Lets not forget IBS(irritable bowel)

I was never told of having Scoliosis untill after suffering yrs with low back pains and herniated disks.
    Surely I musta been tested during school yrs.??

I think the back problems created a curve in my spine.(?? just my own thoughts)

I'm not familiar with spina bifada.
    I always thought tho that SB was seen or DX in infant yrs.
    ???
    So sorry you have many of the daily pains as I do~
    I sure relate.
    I was never a depressed or unhappy person, but having pain all the time has made me feel Blah about everything!
    I'm 42,and have had all these health problems for the last 10 yrs or so.
    Boy when relatives said "after 30 its downhill" they were'nt kidding!! LOL
    Glad you found us~
    Hugs
    Tandy
  9. ImDigNiT

ImDigNiT New Member

I am so sorry to hear of your recent dx of Spina Bifida on top of the Fibro. Bless your heart!

I am glad you came to this board because it is a great place to learn, vent and love.

I wish I could tell you how to cope with it all but I still having trouble coping with the Fibro.

Peaceful mind and body to all!
    Marcia
  10. bjt80

bjt80 New Member

for the warm welcome, hugs and prayers! Just to clear up the ?s about Spina Bifida, it is usually Dx in infant years and is an opening in the spine. I'm not familiar with all kinds, but with me the spinal cord splits into 2 cords, then a little farther on down it comes together as one again. I have no idea why it wasn't Dx before now. All I know is that it is very painful!

So far I've tried Celebrex, Mobic, Naprisin, Aleve, Tylenol Arthritis, Tramadol and plain old aspirin and none of it has touched the pain. My neice once gave me a Hydrocodone and it actually worked (!) but my doctors won't give it to me. We've all heard their reasoning about it being addictive. I'm to the point of if it works just give it to me!

I'm coping with this as best as I can, one day at a time. Sometimes just one minute at a time.

Once again, thanks to all of you!
    [This Message was Edited on 09/05/2005]
  11. tandy

tandy New Member

I posted above to welcome you here.
    But came back and read your reply and wanted to add:
    I've had the same trouble as you have getting pain meds that help!! I have tried all the ones you mentioned and they do not help.
    And just like you,..I've been given vicoden by a friend,and one time percocette from my hunny( he had a tooth pulled!!) go figure!, apparently having a tooth yanked is worse than having all this!!???
    But anyways~ They do work. Both viciden and percocette.

and neither of my drs. will prescribe them to me.
    Because of the addiction assumption.
    I'm also to the point where,.... who cares,...!! I just want some relief!! give me an hr or 2 of feeling somewhat human!
    uuuuuggghhhh! just a vent.
    (felt good too!! LOL)
    Your not alone!
    Hugs
    Tandy
  12. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

I just wanted to add my voice to the welcome chorus. I'm fairly new here myself and have found a wealth of information and lots of kindred spirits.

I have FM, CFS, and arthritis. I'm 52 with a 4 year old son. I seem to need vicoden or hydrocodone for pain, too. Most doctors are afraid to prescribe it, but if you find someone who treats fibromyalgia patients, they will know you really need it. If they're more worried about you becoming a drug addict that easing your pain, you're in the wrong office.

I wish you well. I'm sorry you have so much pain.

Francie