Ideas for "cheaper" anti depressants?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rene, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Rene

Rene New Member

I need an idea for an antidepressant. Maybe generic?? I have medicare and its $55 for zoloft which I have a bad reaction to as it worsened my depression.

I can't get discounts other then the medicare which for me is expensive but if there is generic ones that work that would be good.
    Thanks
    rene
  2. KerryK

KerryK Member

I had very good luck with Celexa and I understand it is now available as a generic, at least here in Canada. Further, the 40 mg. pills are about the same price as the 20 mg. plus they are scored across the middle. So, just get the 40 mg. size and cut in half if you only need the 20 mg/day size.

Good luck!
  3. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

the older anti depressants are cheaper. amytriptaline, nortriptaline, remeron all are older and come in generics. you can also talk to your doctor to find out which of the older drugs they prefer. also you can go to walgreens web site to find out how much any drug will cost. the only draw back to the older drugs is that some people experience more side effects from them. i hope this helps.
    rachel
  4. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I see a Psych Nurse once a month to discuss how my meds are working. He knows my financial situation and loads me up with samples of Zoloft and Wellbutrin when I leave there.

When I was at my PCP's office last week she loaded me up with more Wellbutrin and some Flonase.

I would ask if the doctor could help you at all with samples. Explain your financial situation.
    Hugs,
    Tigger
  5. Cakedec

Cakedec New Member

I have had good luck since I got off prozac using sam-e (400 mg) per day. Also using the shake which has 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed and balances your seratonin. They take time to build up in your system to feel the most effect (2-4 weeks). You can get the sam-e online for $20-22 per month. The ground flax seed is 4-5 dollars a bag which should last a month.

Deb