Idea's for Ebay sales?? Making a living?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RainSpirit, Feb 3, 2008.

1. RainSpirit

RainSpirit New Member

Hi everyone,
    I am finally getting some money back that I had loaned someone over a year ago.

It's only a few hundred dollars, but enough to start selling on ebay and hopefully grow it into a full blown internet store.

So what I'm wonder is if you all could give me some idea's of things that will sell well. Also(as time goes on)I want to sell health products, especially for FMS,CFS,Candida,etc...

So anything that you have tried, and has worked well?

I appreciate so much any help.
    I don't want to waste a penny of this money, as I wouldn't

be able to re-place it. I'm on general assistance for the unemployable. I get $130 in food stamps, amd $336 in cash.
    My daughter pays the rent and I pay the bills which is every bit of the cash I get.

I have to find a way to support myself,and I hope that this as well as other things will allow me to be self sufficient some day.

Thanks so much!

[This Message was Edited on 02/04/2008]
  2. sues1

sues1 New Member

3. laceymae

laceymae New Member

Elaine is our resident Ebay guru...maybe make a post to her directly and she could help.

4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I personally have never sold on Ebay - have only purchased something once. (I'm waaaay behind on the times!)I do however have a friend who does quite well selling things on Ebay. She buys things at wholesale and then resells. I think (I could ask her or maybe Elaine knows)that there is a place on Ebay that lists wholesalers that sell things in bulk to resell.
    I would also google some ideas. My friend does it part time- maybe devotes 10-20 hrs a week (again a guess) but makes a decent living- between $1500-2500/month. I haven't talked to her in a while but I'd be happy to see if I can get more information. Elaine probably knows as much. :)
  5. RainSpirit

RainSpirit New Member

I think that this would be very helpful to many of us.
    I'm just not sure "what" to sell. There "is" so much compitition on ebay and the rest of the web. I just don't want to waste any of this money.

God Bless

6. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Hi Rainspirit:
    If you decide to sell on Ebay you should sell something that you are familar with and then "watch" some Ebay auctions and see how well different items sell. For example, if you are experienced with Bath and Body Works lotion, watch a few items and see how they sell and if you will make enough of a profit.

I sell on Ebay as well and it can be a lot of work for not much return. I was selling apothecary jars for the longest time but with the way the economy is going you really have to have some rare items to make any money. I started selling some other things and they seem to be doing pretty well but again, you really need to have good information about what you are selling and have enough of a mark-up on your items so you make some money.
  7. monica33flowers

Girl, you are beginning to scare me .... we have a lot in common. LOL.

Selling items by a "LOT" makes it so much easier.

I watch Craigslist a lot to get free bubblewrap, peanuts and packing paper. That keeps the shipping costs down for my buyers. I still purchase bubblewrap but like I said I've been able to keep costs down.

Actually, my boyfriend, Randy, sells and he does pretty well. Not enough of course to quit his full-time job but it keeps him in "spending" money. LOL.

I also learned a lot by trial error and that was mailing. Before I bought a scale I would estimate what an item would cost to ship and so many times I got burned and ended paying the extra shipping costs. Using Paypal to ship your items is so easy and if the buyer ever wants to know where the item is they can track it thru Paypal. So much easier.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/05/2008]
  8. RainSpirit

RainSpirit New Member

You all ROCK! Thank you so very much. I appreciate all the time it has taken to respond. Especially you s-elaine.

I have "Everything" to learn about selling "anything" to "anyone" LOL.

If anyone else has any idea's or imput it will be much appreciated.

I think that it would be nice to keep this thread going for a bit. Not just for myself, but ther are so many of us in the same or similar boat.

Do you all think it would be alright to pose this question on the FMS?CFS site?

God Bless and great Big HUGS to you all
  9. monica33flowers

I was just reading your bio and says you like to take photography. Why not buy yourself some nice picture frames and put your photography shots in the frames and sell those on Ebay? I would go somewhere like Marshall's, Kohl's or any discount store OR clearance sale.

You could also maybe just see about selling your photography without frames and maybe do some black and white or even sepia tone pictures.

Just an idea for you.
  10. monica33flowers

I do jump around in a few different categories depending on what is "hot" at the time and if I can get myself the merchandise.

I did hear that Ebay is going to crack down on the sellers who have those inflated shipping costs since they are using that as a way to not pay seller fees as well.

Rainspirit: Please make sure you do your homework and check and see how other items are doing into comparison of your own. This will also help you establish a price that isn't too low or too high.

PS: Do no post this on the Fibro board because as Elaine said it is considered Off Topic and your post will be deleted.[This Message was Edited on 02/05/2008]
  11. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I emailed my friend - will let you know when I hear back from her.
    Do you have any hidden talents? or not so hidden? LOL
    One thing my girlfriend did (diff friend) was bought some pots at Hobby Lobby (when they're on sale for 50%)off, she then painted them. OMG, they were SO beautiful. She had zero painting experience. She freehanded the - just painted abstract, but you could stencil too. She did patio pots, but you could do any kind. Gee - that would be kind of fun.
    Another thing - unfortunately everything takes a little money to make money. She made bookmarks out of beads etc. BEAUTIFUL! She started them as a hobby- sitting in front of the TV. She had a friend who was doing an upscale home party for lots of different 'vendors' - she had nice artwork there etc. My friend's bookmarks sold out. She sold them for $30 each, but could've sold them for more, that's how nice they were. She had a blast making them as well. I told her she should get back into it and sell them on the internet. They are different and GREAT different gifts for people. Everyone reads - you could also personalize. Anyway- just throwing out some ideas.
  12. dononagin

dononagin New Member

Just a quick suggestion as it sounds like Elaine has covered more than everything I would bring up. My hubby and I have played around with this. I would suggest starting out with items you already have around the house just to get into the groove. I've sold clothes, tools, dvd's, and some collectables. Once you find what you like to sell you can invest in resellables but honestly, we all have great items laying around the house.

Watch auctions. I bought an entire palet of office equiptment for $55 at an auction to resale. Chalk full of calculators, leather portfolios, etc. Resale value, once I get around to getting it all on line should be huge!

Make sure you guard your feedback! Never give a customer a reason to complain. Be honest and fair in your discriptions so no one feels disapointed with your product. I know I won't buy from any one who doesn't have a pretty high rating.

I highly agree with the others who recommend Pay-pal it truly is the easiest way to go.

Good luck!
  13. RainSpirit

RainSpirit New Member

Thanks monica33flowers...see this is what I need. Idea's other than my own. I love the idea of selling some of my pic's.

And janalynn, thanks for the idea of the book marks...I have a ton of beading stuff. I love that idea.

It sure is more complicated to sell than to buy! LOL
    I have over 200 all good feedback...all buying, back when I could afford to.

I have been searching so much online in the last couple of weeks for what is Hot right now (I'm a little scared especially with the economy as it)

I will keep a watch on some of these things.

Did you know that you can have your own line of skin care and make-up??? Pre-made products with your lable!

How fun is that?!
    My daughter and I plan to do that later on down the road.

I've also been trying to learn about marketing.
    I know you all know how difficult it can be to learn anything new at times :(

Thank you all,
    And any more idea's will be greatly appreciated

God Bless