Ideas for making new friends

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by onedaymagpie, Aug 7, 2006.

1. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

Hi all:

Of course it is easy when your young to make friends and given that I have lived here and there, my close friends from younger years and preDD live far away.

I really don't have any good friends in the area.

Can anyone give ideas/suggestions as to how to make new friends (when you are in the 40's)??

Hugs -- Mags
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

onedaymagpie:

Some of the smaller, local, 'throw-a-way' newspapers have small ads announcing 'singles' dances. I remember years ago they were a pretty big deal for those in need of companionship or more.

nyrofan
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Are you well enuff to get out of the house?

You can join groups on the net. There are interest groups about everything I am told. I looked for a group re: my favorite opera soprano. Found four of them.

Are there support groups or 12 step groups where you live?

Do you do any crafts? Some knitting shops allow ladies to drop in during the day and sit and chat while working on their projects.

Are you well enuff to do volunteer work at a library, museum? If I could I would like to be a docent at the Gene Autry Western Museum here in LA.

Good luck.
  4. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I am in PV, why don't we meet for lunch one day? I will be a new friend...
  5. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i find making new friends to be onf of the hardest things in the world. i think partly because of this dd i have found it very hard to trust people with any information about myself. if the friends i've had for 10+ years have trouble understanding what my life is like now how is anyone new going to understand. maybe that's just me. also when i get into social situations i just shut down. to much stimulation and i can't seem to handle it.
    rachel
  6. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

nyrofan - Hi there and thanks for the response. I'm not looking for romance; just girl-friend, friend-ship.

Donnaeil - yes, thanks, I have been thinking about joining the local Curves - maybe I'll meet some interesting women there.

Rockrog - some great ideas, thanks - as far as the 12 step groups, what does that refer to?

Rachel - I can relate. Can only take so much at once. Just have to take it a day at a time.

7. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

Hi there!
    Yes, yes, I remember. And thanks for your post. That is really inspirational. It sounds like you have a real way with people - good for you!
    btw - I am right there next to Manhattan Beach - beautiful, Yes?
    Where do you live?
    Mags
  8. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

Oh my gosh,
    Yes, I would love to meet for lunch! That would be just great. Maybe some place in the Riveria Village - or what is convenient for you.

Wow, this is exciting . .
    Mags
  9. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Alcoholics Anonymous was started around 1935. A number of other similar programs grew from this: Narcotics Anonymous, Gamblers Anonymous, Smokers Anonymous, etc.

I go to Emotions Anonymous. The meetings have a member/moderator; rules so it's not just unstructured chat; and last 90 minutes. People often go for coffee or a meal afterwards.

Now and then they have pot lucks, dances, picnics, etc.

They also have a phone list so people can call and chat about matters serious or social.

A wonderful resource for those of us who have emotional problems.
  10. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I've found over the years that the best way to make and

keep friends is to own a pickup truck. Ya got one of

those, ya have friends for life!!

"Hey, Buddy, I've gotta move, can I borrow your pick-
    up"?

Oh, Boy!
    MRDAD
  11. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

I do love beading and getting ideas. I have never been to a beading show, but they sound great. If you would like any company for the Sept or Oct show - I would love to join you . . .I'll be around and it sounds like a lot of fun!

Let me know if you are interested in meeting there,
    Mags
  12. mandyau

mandyau New Member

Its not easier to make friends when your young in fact i think it may even be harder, especially when the friends you do have are starting to work and are going out all the time. I lost touch with all my old friends cause with my CFS they werent interested in me being sick and not being able to do stuff. Now i have one good friend left(who is very busy)and no way of meeting new people cause im not well enough to work or volenteer. Plus when you are younger people expect you to be healthy and active so when you tell them you cant go out and do stuff they look at you like your either a freak or just lazy.

Sorry for ranting in your thread just wanted to let people know that its hard meeting friends when your young too i guess its hard for everyone with CFS/FM.

Good luck in meeting some people!
  13. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

The place i have met the most friends.. and some i have now met, is on the myspace website. It only takes a few mins to make a profile, and its loads of fun meeting heaps of ppl, and all free. :) Its not a dating site but some people use it to meet ppl, its mainly for friends and networking. I have 2 pages on there, one for my music, which i have some tracks up, and a personal. Should try it out! ~Chris.