Identify this pic ......

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by ConfusedInPA, Sep 17, 2015.

1. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

Hi everybody, and good luck! Y'all are great googlers. :D

Here goes -------------------

quickquiz-32.jpg

Diane :p
  2. bct

bct Active Member

It looks very much like a clove flower except for the curled-back calyces. So I don't know...o_O
    Barry.
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Diane, You sure that's a flower? Looks a lot like some sort of sea creature
    although they generally don't live on a tree branch. Gordon was walking by, so
    I asked him. He said, "I don't know what the Hell that is." So if Gordon and
    Barry, our resident experts don't know...

Anyhoo I did find pics of plants that were similar but not actually the same. They
    are called allium schubertii and/or ornamental onions.

Glad to see you are up to posting, both here and on the porch. Regards to
    Kevin. (Do you ever call him Special K?) Inquiring minds want to know.

Rock
  4. ConfusedInPA

OK, here's a hint:

https://phipps.conservatory.org/visit-and-explore/explore/plant-collections/

Just click on a tab -- the tabs go from "bonsai" to "palms". There's even a tab for ORCHIDS! :)

One of our local news reporters was broadcasting live from Phipps on the early morning news, earlier this week. I was impressed!

Now, find that pic! :) Or do you want the reveal?

Rock, Kevin doesn't like any nicknames, not even "Kev". :(

Diane
  5. Willow77

Willow77 Active Member

Is it, The shaving brush tree (Pseudobombax ellipticum).

Amazing plants at the conservatory. I like to garden but I can't eat all I plant. I have so many beans and tomatoes right now and have the dehydrator running for some chives, stevia and basil. Cucumbers and red peppers did not do well as usual or potatoes. I need to figure out what I am doing wrong. I don't give up like I used to. I try to learn from something form each growing season.

I did find out that if I have to use a pump style sprayer for the organic pesticide I won't do it. It is to hard on my aching muscles but a hose end sprayer is so easy to use that I will be looking for pesticide recipes and just use those. Neem oil is expensive and doesn't work that well. My zinnias didn't do well but there were still two butterflies outside around the few zinnias that did come up. Powdery mildew is a bad problem here. Next year I need to start spraying some milk on the plants in early July before it becomes a problem.
    gb66 likes this.
  6. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Hi Willow, It's good to see you posting again. Hope all is well with you! GB
  7. ConfusedInPA

Hi Willow, GB, and all!

Yes, Willow, it is the Shaving Brush Tree. :)

I hope y'all enjoyed looking at the Phipps Conservatory website.

Diane :)
  8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Willow, nice to see you again. Congrats on winning the big contest. I expect
    Diane will be mailing you your prize immejetly.

Diane, I went to the Phipps conservatory site. Couldn't find a thing. But the
    name brought back memories. Remember when Lucy and Ricky did a show
    from their apt. for Phipps Dept Store? Lucy: "Phipps is a great big bunch of drips."

This was really a blast from the past. My dad used a shaving brush, but modern
    men don't. Less than 8% of men use a shaving brush. Or, as Dave Barry might
    say, "Less than 8% (roughly two-thirds) of folks understand statistics."

Rock [​IMG]