If any "normals" are reading our posts

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Princessraye, May 19, 2003.

1. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

This thought occured to me.
    If I did not have this DD or some other mysterious illness and read these posts I would think there were a lot of hypochondriacs who must have nothing better to do than to type on their computers and look for weird symptoms !
    So if you "normals" are reading this..........let me explain something. For the most part , the medical community has been unable to help us and in some cases unwilling. So we come together not only to try to find something to help us feel better but to let others know they are not alone and also to see if we can compare symptoms and find some type of patterns to explain what is happening to us. (and maybe unlock the mystery)
    If you had a mystery illness and there was not much help for your suffering or much understanding out in the world, then you would be here searching too.
    For all of you "normals" who are supportive of us.....Thank You from the bottom of my heart. It means more than you will ever know.
  2. NightAngel

NightAngel New Member

3. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

...I was told that "the powers that be" do read our posts.

Imagine the research that springs from our giant "think tank" here - wouldn't it be great if it were true and we were part of that kind of positive contribution?

Think of all the possibilities.

Lane
  4. 1fibrowife

1fibrowife New Member

I guess I am not totally normal since I live with and take care of "one of you." I don't know what people that don't live with this DD think about your site. FM is such an unbelievable disease!! It makes no sense the way it attacks your body. But thanks to all of you here we have found friends that DO understand what we are trying to cope with. We have learned so much here and thank you all for that. We don't post much because someone else has usually already said what we would say. God bless all of you. He is greater that any problem we have!!
  5. clueless

clueless New Member

An article in News Week (which I cannot find at the moment ) called " It is not all in their heads "said Phizer sp. is working on a drug . Have you heard of it ? Is it possible?
  6. memaw

memaw New Member

people are reading our posts.
  7. Anita B.

Anita B. New Member

The drug Pfizer is working on is most probably a substance-P blocker.
  8. lmlynley

lmlynley New Member

Greetings,

I have had Fibromyalgia for 11 years so I think I have some experience to back me up on this topic. I understand the frustration of what some here term "normals" not able to comprehend what we go through. However, and please believe me when I say that I am respectful of your POV, I have a lot of trouble with this paradigm of "normals" and "Fibromites" or whatever le mot de jour happens to be.

Putting the debate over what is "normal" aside for the moment, I feel perfectly normal, I just happen to suffer from pain on a daily basis. True, I cannot play soccer or tennis anymore, nor even carry on my work as a musician. But I think that the "Us v. Them" mindset is a damaging one. We already have enough on our plates without creating more divisions and strife.

I absolutely refuse to remove myself from the stream of humanity because of pain and lack of mobility. To my mind, once I've done that, the illness wins. It's checkmate, it's "game-over."

Just something to consider.

Warm Regards,
    Lauren M. Lynley
  9. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

I agree.

I feel normal too.

When I use the term normals it mostly comes from the past years of postings and writing all over the web to refer to people who are healthy and do not have this condition.

I by no means intended to say we aren't normal people. It is just a term used by many in our community.
  10. jamedw1

jamedw1 New Member

... and never let it be know that i claim to be...
    i come here to learn... lend support and my words if i think in any way my 2 cents will mean something to someone, or sound 1/2 way intelligent, and maybe someday make a difference in someone's life from the power of knowledge...

and while it's an ongoing learning process, the information that i've gained from being here has been nothing less than invaluable, while at the same time i've gained insights into something i knew nothing about before coming here...

even if i never make the difference in the life of the person for which i came, i believe i've become a better person for the things i have read...

i came for "one"... i stay for "all"...

many dreams of hope...
    G H's and the such...
    ed