if applying for a job

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by eccentric-eric, Sep 25, 2006.

1. eccentric-eric

eccentric-eric New Member

If i apply for a job should i tell them up front i have a disability? If i do i might get passed over. but if i don't then as usual i get passed over because of my poor work reference. i have been searching for a part time job since 2003 and look for a month or 2 then give up then the next season when i'm up to it look for another month or 2 then give up/ the same routine till the present. I think i don't get jobs even though i had 2 interviews all the time, is i don't have a good work record and no one to mediate for me about my disablility. i see lots of disabled people around town working but they have services that can help them find a job and tend to their daily life. i'm on the waiting list for 2yrs for services for disabled people, but there's no funding for me at the moment. i'm about 50 back on the list. only moved 3 numbers in a yrs time. I think it makes a difference for one to go on his own to get a job and having a staff member mediating for a person to get one.
  2. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I would never tell them up front about your disability.

Although they are not suppose to discriminate, they do, and they will make up some bogus excuse as to why you arent 'right' for the job.

If you get the job...earn you merits, and then later go to HR and explain to them about your condition. Anything you tell HR is confidential.

I told my employer a year after I started the job. This was only because they were not too happy with the amountt of doctors appointments I was having to leave a little early for.

I felt I had no other choice then to explain to them exactly why I have to go to the docotors so often.

Hugs,
    Stephanie
  3. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I agree with the first person who answered your post-do not tell them about your disability in the interview. I guarantee you they will hire a person without a disability over you even if you have the same skills. You say that you have a poor work reference so by that I assume you do not have any letters of reference for previous jobs.

I am 47 years old and have worked since I got out of high school (just part-time now with the FMS). One thing I have always done is get a reference letter from some of the jobs I have had. It certainly is an added plus along with your resume.

When you do get hired for a job, of course do the best you can. That way, if and when you need to tell them about your disability, you will already have shown them that you are a valuable employee. Since it would be a part-time job, try and schedule doctor appts. during your off hours.

Ellen
  4. kjfms

kjfms Member

This site may be of some help:

http://www.eeoc.gov/

Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990

prohibits private employers, state and local governments, employment agencies and labor unions from discriminating against qualified individuals with disabilities in job application procedures, hiring, firing, advancement, compensation, job training, and other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment.

The ADA covers employers with 15 or more employees, including state and local governments.

It also applies to employment agencies and to labor organizations.

The ADA's nondiscrimination standards also apply to federal sector employees under section 501 of the Rehabilitation Act, as amended, and its implementing rules.

An individual with a disability is a person who:

Has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities;

Has a record of such an impairment;

or Is regarded as having such an impairment.

A qualified employee or applicant with a disability is an individual who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of the job in question.

Reasonable accommodation may include, but is not limited to:

Making existing facilities used by employees readily accessible to and usable by persons with disabilities.

Job restructuring, modifying work schedules, reassignment to a vacant position;

Acquiring or modifying equipment or devices, adjusting or modifying examinations, training materials, or policies, and providing qualified readers or interpreters.

An employer is required to make a reasonable accommodation to the known disability of a qualified applicant or employee if it would not impose an "undue hardship" on the operation of the employer's business.

Undue hardship is defined as an action requiring significant difficulty or expense when considered in light of factors such as an employer's size, financial resources, and the nature and structure of its operation.

An employer is not required to lower quality or production standards to make an accommodation; nor is an employer obligated to provide personal use items such as glasses or hearing aids.

Title I of the ADA also covers:

Medical Examinations and Inquiries

Employers may not ask job applicants about the existence, nature, or severity of a disability.

Applicants may be asked about their ability to perform specific job functions.

A job offer may be conditioned on the results of a medical examination, but only if the examination is required for all entering employees in similar jobs.

Medical examinations of employees must be job related and consistent with the employer's business needs.

I hope this helps a little,

Karen :)

[This Message was Edited on 09/27/2006]
  5. eccentric-eric

I got fired from a few jobs and quit some. some jobs i could only work a few weeks and got discouraged and quit before getting fired. employers look at the duration of the jobs and aren't impressed when you work a few weeks and then quit. i've been asked many times about why i quit so suddenly. and why i have gaps in between jobs. they want to know why i wasn't working in those gaps. like it's any of their business.

i've tried for 3+ yrs to get a job like working with landscaping and plants. i love outdoors work with nature. horticulture i think is what they call it. i like tree trimming too. i'm afraid of hieghts and have allergies too much to do extra mowing and weed eating. my yard was enough. but now moving to an apartment so now i'll feel useless without a yard to busy in. I did work for 4 hrs and then quit for a mowing company but couldn't handle the heat and allergies. they work their people from sunrise to sunset 6 days a week. no full breaks just eat on the run. it's rediculous and they wonder why they can't keep their help. slavedriver job.
  6. kjfms

kjfms Member

just a thought maybe it is time to rethink you career?

Have you spoken with any job counselors at a state unemployment office or your local DHHS?

They may be able to help you.

Good luck,

Karen :)
  7. libra55

libra55 New Member

I don't tell them anything. I've got FM, asthma, and Crohn's disease. The Crohn's is in remission. They don't need to know. Although I am protected under the ADA (it covers Crohn's - referred to as "granulatomous colitis"), I prefer to keep my mouth closed.

I can't find a job to save my soul. I will be 51 in about 3 weeks.

Michelle
    [This Message was Edited on 09/26/2006]
  8. DoveL

DoveL Member

Hello there Eric,

I was going thru this 'delema' also. I would NOT tell them about your disability on your interview! I made the mistake of telling them at an interview in a temp agency, and NEVER heard back from them.

I just started working 6 months ago (part-time), and when going on interviews, I NEVER mentioned my disability. I had not worked in over 5 years (due to FMS/CFS). When asked on interviews "How come you can only work part-time"?? I don't have kids and am not married...SOOOO, I would say 'right now I have some 'personal' family matters which I have to attend to; and working PART-TIME is just what I am looking for to fit my scedule. And that my work would not be affected by my personal matters, as long as it is part-time. Til this day, they don't know that I have a disability at work.

Also, when they ask about the 'gap' between you could say; I was married at the time, or that you had some 'personal family matters to attend to' or that you were a 'care-taker to a family memeber'. They don't need to know about your personal business too much.

One thing that I have been taught on a interview; dont' get into your personal business to much (make that 'short and sweet), then change the subject as to how much of a great worker, and how intereted you are in the company. I would not list the jobs that you worked at for 2-3 months on your resume. Maybe you can get a friend to use as a reference, to say that you worked for them 'at a family business?
    Good luck and health!! Hope these tips helped you..Let us know how it goes..

DOVEL
  9. eccentric-eric

I've been to the unemployment office AKA human resources, and also the Voc Rehab at SRS. those seasonal temp jobs i want, voc rehab won't get me as they want to get people jobs for the long term so it's worth their time and gov money. I feel like working in fall and spring as the temps are in my comfort range. if it's in the 70's or 80's go 10 degrees higher or lower and i'm too hot or cold.