If CFS due to genetic defect, how does remission occur?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Michelle_NZ, Apr 22, 2006.

  1. Michelle_NZ

    Michelle_NZ New Member

    Hi folks

    I've been reading the various articles that have been published about the lastest CFS research.

    I've also been reading the great threads discussing this research.

    If CFS does get "activated" in a person who has a genetic predisposition, how is it that some then go into remission from the illness?

    What are your thoughts on this?

  2. UnicornK

    UnicornK New Member

    Cancer is also genetic, but people go into remission all the time. I'm just glad we CAN go into remission. Gives me something to hope for!

    God Bless.
  3. LISALOO

    LISALOO New Member

    They say genetics only play a 20% chance of you getting a disease. Other things include lifestyle, stress etc. So not everyone who has a certain gene will get sick. Some people use the other 80% to overcome the genetic component.
  4. cherylsue

    cherylsue Member

    I'm in 90-95% remission after two 14 month bouts of severe post viral syndromes. It can be done, but I'm terrified of getting another nasty virus and high fevers which seem to trigger them. I live on ProBoost and Sambucol Elderberry extract. I work full time in a school, so I certainly need the immune support.

    Hope this helps someone.
  5. Mikie

    Mikie Moderator

    Seem to play a big part in our illnesses. It is possible for us to overcome some infections or drive them into latency. A lot depends on what else is going on in our lives and how many stressors/triggers we are dealing with.

    Many illnesses are of the relapsing/remission type.

    Those of us who have made some progress seem to have addressed our infections and made lifestyle changes. I have been fighting my illnesses on as many fronts as possible and it's paying off.

    Love, Mikie
  6. Michelle_NZ

    Michelle_NZ New Member

    It's doing my head in trying to figure out why I have relapsed after 15 months of remission.
  7. ANNXYZ

    ANNXYZ New Member

    by Dr David Bell ( Harvard ) on CFS and he says it is unlikely that remission occurs after having the disease
    longer than two years . He postulates that in the worse cases when CFS lasts longer than two years , an infection has crossed the blood brain barrier , and is protected from the immune system's interference . This was written several years ago .

    I have no idea how valid this is , but Bell has supposedly treated a lot of patients .
  8. Mikie

    Mikie Moderator

    I can now look back into childhood to see omens of things to come; however, it wasn't until Dec. 24 of 1990 that a mycoplasma infection triggered my illnesses full blown. I've never been the same since then.

    I have worked my tail off healing my infections and trying to reverse the symptoms of FMS. I have had remissions from my CFIDS, so either Dr. Bell is incorrect in his assumptions or I am an anomaly.

    I don't know when he wrote this but lately, docs have discovered there is a lot we can do to fight CFIDS. The FCC's have been getting results with new aggressive treatments. That is what I have done--fought aggressively in every area I can. Results have been slow. Even in remission, I am not normal. If I can do normal things while pacing myself and do not have to stay in bed during the day nor have excessive pain, I consider myself in remission. I don't know whether I'll ever recover fully, but I have had some pretty good remission. The remissions are getting longer and longer and I recover faster from relapses.

    Love, Mikie
  9. findmind

    findmind New Member

    And Wake Me UP...who always cracks me up, LOL...

    I agree with Mikie....no matter what the disease, boosting our immune systems with vitamins, supplements, whatever, can put things into remission...remember, remission does not say cure...

    But to me, rest is vital. No matter what it takes. I use DRUGS! Yes, Xanax and Halcion knock me out for 7-8 hrs, and I have both FM and CFS. I wake refreshed, not hung over, and have 8-9 hrs before I have to rest for 2 more.

    With proper rest, I have the energy to prepare proper meals, which includes all the washing of veggies and prep of chicken, fish, roast beef, etc. Without the rest, I can't DO all the rest!

    I am very much better than 10 years ago, but have to function on MY time-frames and not anyone's else's, unless very, very important...like drs and family...but even they have been well trained as to my functional hours!

    Its very much possible to get better...little by little, letting stressors go or learning better ways to cope with them helps a lot.

    Best to you....
    findmind
  10. jane32

    jane32 New Member

    What did you do to get in remission?
  11. Michelle_NZ

    Michelle_NZ New Member

    http://gslc.genetics.utah.edu/units/disorders/proteinrole/

    We can get mutations in several ways:

    Mutations can be inherited, or passed from parent to child. This type of mutation is called a germline mutation.

    Mutations that arise sporadically throughout our lifetime (in non-sex cells) are called somatic mutations. Most of the time, our cells are very good at fixing somatic mutations when they occur. In the rare instances when they are not repaired, a medical condition may result.

    A third type of mutation, called a novel germline mutation, is a combination of a somatic and an inherited mutation. The novel germline mutation arises in a parent's germ cell - either the father's sperm cell or the mother's egg cell. The child conceived through the union of sperm and egg carries the novel germline mutation.

    For example, about half of all NF1 cases are thought to arise from inherited mutations. The other half arise from novel germline mutations and are commonly referred to as "spontaneous" mutations.
  12. Michelle_NZ

    Michelle_NZ New Member

    How do gene mistakes occur?

    Gene mutations can be either inherited from a parent or acquired. A hereditary mutation is a mistake that is present in the DNA of virtually all body cells. Hereditary mutations are also called germline mutations because the gene change exists in the reproductive cells (germ cells) and can be passed from generation to generation, from parent to newborn. Moreover, the mutation is copied every time body cells divide.

    Acquired mutations, also known as somatic mutations, are changes in DNA that develop throughout a person's life. In contrast to hereditary mutations, somatic mutations arise in the DNA of individual cells; the genetic errors are passed only to direct descendants of those cells. Mutations are often the result of errors that crop up during cell division, when the cell is making a copy of itself and dividing into two. Acquired mutations can also be the byproducts of environmental stresses such as radiation or toxins.

    Mutations occur all the time in every cell in the body. Each cell, however, has the remarkable ability to recognize mistakes and fix them before it passes them along to its descendants. But a cell's DNA repair mechanisms can fail, or be overwhelmed, or become less efficient with age. Over time, mistakes can accumulate.