If Cortisol levels are okay does this mean adrenals are too?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Tantallon, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

This might be a really stupid question to ask but I would be grateful if somebody knows.

Cheers,
    Sue
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

There are quite a few different cortisol and adrenal function tests, and some are quite blunt. You could have been having a better day, or better hour, when the test was done. Adrenals also produce other hormones like norepinephrine, adrenaline, DHEA, and sex hormones, esp. in women after menopause the adrenals have to bump up their production of progesterone ( I think thats the one).

Jeanne
  3. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

I will ask the doctor for a more comprehensive adrenal and hormone test now then.

Take care
    Sue
    [This Message was Edited on 07/22/2006]
  4. ulala

ulala New Member

I knew my cortisol levels were low. Several doctors did blood tests and i had two 24 hour urine tests. All came back fine.

I insisted on an ACTH test, which is expensive, but it showed that I was mildly adrenal insufficient. I was started on 10 mgs. of cortisol/cortef. It helped me a lot but my hair started falling out at an alarming rate. So I've now stopped the cortef and am going to try the natural way which does not work very well for me but I don't want my hair flying out of my head!

What to choose energy or hair? I choose hair. Anyone else??

Good luck.
  5. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

I haven't booked the appointment yet but I'll put it on the list for him to check.

Thanks once again,
    Sue

P.S. Yeah, I think I'd go for the hair too!
    [This Message was Edited on 07/24/2006]
  6. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

How can they ignore a test that comes back positive, that's what the tests are for. Do you take anything yourself to help it?

My doc has just run out of ideas, bless him, so I have to keep supplying him with tests to do, hopefully something will turn out positive eventualy!

Thanks for replying
    Sue
  7. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

thank you for the info on what you take, the cortef seems a bit severe that ulalala was using what with the hair loss so if the ACTH test shows a slight problem I'll try high salt and liquorice instead.

Cheers,
    Sue
  8. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

And it came back low. I have been on 10 mg. hydrocortisone from the compounding pharmacy and it has helped somewhat. I did not lose any hair, actually it helped with some of my hair loss.

Laura
  9. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

was it to check the adrenals? And can you tell me what the test was called.

Thanks for the info
    Sue