IF don't finish drinking my prescription 4 colonoscopy what wil

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Honora88, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Honora88

Honora88 Member

happen? . Has anyone ever just drank 1/2? It's unbearable and it's taken me 5 hours to drink just half. It's almost 10 pm. I'll be up to 3am at this point! My hemmorroids are killing me too from running to the bathroom so much. The taste is also unbearable.

The instructions say start taking the drink at 5pm. I STRONGLY advise to take it at least an hour earlier. It's so hard to drink 24 onces every hour. That way you can avoid cramming!

God please take this from me. This is all more than I can handle! (humorous but serious)
    [This Message was Edited on 07/20/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 07/20/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 07/21/2008]
  2. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Almost 4 yrs ago I was in the hospital and I had to drink that yucky stuff........the nurse made sure I drank the whole gallon. I know how you feel. I had a bleeding stomach ulcer and they had to take a look and see if there was anything else going on elsewhere.

Hopefully someone else will have some advice. I will send a gentle hug and positive thoughts your way.

Is this a routine colonoscopy or some other reason?

Very gentle hugs, Susan
  3. spacee

spacee Member

I think you need to stay up til 3am if you have too. Do you have someone to drive you to the appt.

Do you have vaseline to try to coat your hemmorroids. It might help some.

If you are not cleaned out, they are going to want to reschedule this and they will still charge you for this one.

I had one of these 9 years ago and it has taken me this long to even consider having another one.

Please do it, dear one!

4. Honora88

Honora88 Member

It's 11:18 and there's 40% left. UGHHGHHGH!!!

5. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

They now have smaller bottles of stuff.But the Dr. I used to see refused to let me drink that.I have had multiple scopes and by this last time I learned I no longer can drink the whole thing.It is like my throat closes and won't let me drink anymore.
    The first time I ever had a scope,I did drink the whole gallon and I still was not 'cleaned out'. I did not have to reschedule, they gave me enemas to clean me out. I ended up having '8' enemas.8!!!!!!!!!(after drinking the whole jug even) Oh what fun.
    I am to have scopes every 2 years and it has now been about 6?(not my fault,long story) I do want a new gastroenterologist though.(one that was born in the USA and can speak English well,but that is another story)
  6. tandy

tandy New Member

Thats what they want/need to do the colonoscopy/.

I'm sceduled to have this done again in early Aug.
    uuuuggghhhh ! is right,.. I hear ya. it sux.
    The prep drink is horrible.
    See,.... now on my instructions it says that IF HALFWAY thru the JUG your bowels are running clear, (no color) you may stop drinking the prep.
    If they are not,..then you need to continue untill they are.

Years ago it never said that. prior to the drink,..did you have to take a laxative? pill form. I think mine is dulcolax. ?? or the small bottle of magnesium citrate?
    wishing you luck~
    hang in there
    [This Message was Edited on 07/21/2008]
  7. Honora88

Honora88 Member

i'm really nervous! I hope they knock me out so I can't remember anything. Is this what they do?

I have a phobia about probes and things going up my other end, even gynocological visits are a nightmare.
  8. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Sending you hugs ktn105.

Your probably already gone to your appt but yes they do knock you out for this procedure.
    The thing I remember is that it was soooo cold in the room.......brr I had lots of blankets and I was still cold.

THe drinking of the liquid is the worst of it. The rest was smooth sailing for me.

Another thing I got to do 4 yrs ago due to a bleeding stomach ulcer was swallow a pill that had a camera in it.
    Had to wear this contraption strapped to my waist~ looked like I was ready to blow someone up. :) But the camera could take pictures of areas that the doctor couldn't get too. It was just a day procedure and I could go home and do whatever I wanted, while the camera took pictures. It was pretty cool, considering some of the things out there.

sending positive thoughts, Susan
  9. donnadee

donnadee New Member

If all is coming out clear you should have no problem. My pcp told me when I went to see the dr. if he said to drink that gallon of stuff to ask for something else. He gave me pills alot of them and had to drink alot of water. It worked fine. Back home my dr. gave me 4 dulcolax and a small green bottle of something. Next time I have one I am going to do the 4 pills and sm. drink. Yes I am asleep every time I have one. Good luck, sweet dreams
  10. RatsWife

RatsWife New Member

I've never finished more than 1/2 of the jug since they began using this means instead of repeated enemas, which was the initial prep once the device they used hit the US back in the early 80s, late 70s. Courtesy of the Japanese. I've had over 20 colonoscopic exams to date. Guess I'm a Pro, right? LOL! Once the outflow becomes free from solids, you've done enough prep. They ask us to take the whole thing knowing that most of us cannot tolerate more than half. At about half I begin to throw it up which is the wrong direction. They're using a smaller prep now and have added purgatives that speed the cleansing needed.

Colon cancer is bad news so don't make the mistake of saying you did the complete prep when you didn't really, and believe me, the doctor will know if you didn't. Call the on-call if you can't finish the prep. Let him or her make the decision if what you see in the toilet is good enough for the exam. But remember NO solids should be present.

Good luck - hope you get a clean bill of health!

Peace and Gentle Hugs,
  11. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

If you don't drink all of it, you will not get cleaned out enough and the test will be for nothing. I should know - that's what happened to me. My doc said to ask about some new pills and a different regime that they have.