If FMS is not an inflammatory illness, then...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Feb 14, 2003.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

why do anti-inflammatory medications help us feel better????

Just wondering.

Beth.
  2. catgal

catgal New Member

Anti-inflamatory meds never helped my FM/CFS. I am 53 and have had FM/CFS for over 35 years and never found a physician that would help me. The rheumies who have continued to diagnose me with FM/CFS only put me through a battery of anti-depressants which I could not take or flexeril which I am allergic to. No pain meds--so nothing worked.

However, as the years went by, I also developed osteo/psoriatic/rheumatoid arthritis, and a year ago was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease {ddd} and multiple back problems, and a couple of weeks ago was diagnosed with nerve damage from the top of my neck, down my spine & legs, to my feet. And, the anti-inflamatory med Bextra has really helped with those illnesses.

It wasn't until last year when I was diagnosed with ddd that I was put on narcotic pain management (oxycontin & percocet) which also FINALLY helped with the pain and aching of the FM. However, none of my health providers acknowledge the FM. The Orthopedist I saw for my back actually laughed in my face when I told him I also had FM. He told me there was no such thing--that it was just a label for "neurotics". I never went back to him.

But anti-inflamatories never helped my FM--but the pain meds I get for my back problems have finally given me relief from the FM also, and I am so grateful for that. Plus, I also take soma (muscle relaxer) and klonopin for sleep and restless legs--and both of those help with the FM as my body is able to "relax" from all the pain and aching, and I am able to get quality sleep.

Are you on anti-inflamatory meds for your FM? If so, what med do you take that helps your FM? Good post. Happy Valentine's Day to YOU. Carol...
  3. Seagull

Seagull New Member

I have the same problem that Carol spoke of -- adverse reactions to most of the meds my doctors ever prescribed or no effect at all from the rest. In the beginning, when I first acquired this DD, I tried taking 3200 mgs of ibuprophen daily, and it had no effect on the pain. I did not start out that high, but was so desperate to control the FM/CMP pain that I gradually increased the dosage to that level. My doctors did not know how much ibuprophen I was taking or I am sure they would have quit prescribing it long before the damage to my liver set in. Thankfully, the resulting stomach pains forced me to get off of it before I did any more damage to my system.

Anyway, I am not a candidate for pain management using drug therapy. But, I found that massage therapy is helpful in reducing the level of pain for me, most of the time anyway.

I am glad that the anti-inflamatories work for you -- I sure wish there was a pill that would work for me.
  4. Tattoopixie

Tattoopixie New Member

I have used Bextra, Vioxx, & Celebrex (1 at a time) along with taking neurontin, ativan, & flexeril & celebrex seemed to give added relief. When I asked my Dr how this was possible he told me that they do not yet understand exactly how these medications work yet & that they have 'other ingredients' besides the antiinflammatory ingredients & it has something to do w/those ingredients.
    ***Pixie***
  5. VenusFire

VenusFire New Member

Due to the fact that our pain is in the soft tissue, (i.e. muscles. tendons, ligaments) it can cause swelling. When I first started showing signs, my docs thought it was tendonitis, I have since been on 8 different anti-inflammatories and NONE of them help. Just work with your doc to find the right combination of meds to keep your FM in control.
  6. BethM

BethM New Member

Thank you. I've been under medical care through worker's comp for carpal tunnel for over a year now, and still have symptoms. In fact the pain has increased enough recently that I've considered going back to the worker's comp orthopedic doc about it and considering allowing the surgery. BUT!!! I will talk to my primary care doc first, about the myxedema and regional problems from tissue swelling causing carpal tunnel pain before I consider surgery. I've been borderline hypothyroid all my life, never low enough for treatment, but maybe it's time to look into that. Maybe, just maybe, I can avoid surgery.

Beth.
  7. BethM

BethM New Member

I cannot take anti-inflammatory meds of any kind, as they give me almost immediate stomach and gut pain. I'm just highly sensitive to them. So much for that avenue of pain control! I use Darvocet and acetaminophen as needed, (daily and frequently lately, unfortunately), very low doses of valium occasionally for muscle relaxation, and 37.5mg daily of Effexor, which I think isn't helping much, but the higher dose of 75mg daily suppresses my emotions and turns me into a smiling zombie. Not good. I'm not an easy patient. If there is a side effect to a med, I will likely find it. Such is life. I've recently changed primary care docs, and hope this new one will be more helpful for me.

Beth.