If I am eligible for SSDI will my children be also?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by angeljoe, Dec 28, 2005.

1. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

I have been earning disability insurance through my work for six months now. I am required by national contract from my work and union to apply for SSDI after six months. I am scared out of my mind by doing this because I've worked full time since sixteen. I bring home the majority income in my household. (even on temp disability) Would my children be eligible to earn SSDI? My husband works forty hours a week but doesn't earn very much money? I have Fibro/CFS/hypothyroidism. I have worked for the same company for 6 years. I might also be eligible for a disability retirement with my company.. Thanks so much for all replies in advanced.
    Angela
  2. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

bumping for angeljoe
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

you should go to the social security site and check...

My DH is on SSD, we got checks for each of our kids til they were 18 or out of high school; but in order to get the most allowed, I had to sign off that I would never claim benefits on their behalf as minors...

the difference between your situation and ours is that I was not working, but not sure that really made a difference or not since I had to sign off on it anyway.

Hope this helps!
    Victoria
  4. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

Yes...any and each child under the age of 18 would also recieve a monthly check(benefits) if you are awarded SSDI..

Your children can recieve benfits up until the age of 18 or out of school...(any schooling) Tip...Any child who goes on to a community collage or any kind of schooling after the age of 18 can still recieve benfits until no longer in school...

Hope this has helped some..
    Good Luck!!
    Hugs
    Bluerose

P.S See my older post called "For those of us Applying/Fighting for Disability" Alot of good info through out the whole post that helped in winning my case![This Message was Edited on 12/28/2005]
  5. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

bluerose,

benefits if kids are in college for ssdi? that would be great forme since i was a dummy and or just stressed in my divoce to be stupid and not want anymore spusal support after he graduated from high school...

anyways..i will check into it that would be nice for my son and i...

jodie
  6. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

Yes please do check into this more yourself!!! I am almost postive your children can continue benfits if still enrolled in school even after graduating....it probably does cut off at a certain age...but i have looked into it a little because of my lil sister ....my dad is disabled as well...I was told she could continue getting her benfits for awhile even after garduating as long as she was enrolled in some kinda school...

I know that a friend of mine...her child went on to attend a communtiy collage and her benefits continued for awhile longer.....

I will look into it even further as soon as I am feeling a little better...I can't remember all the details...I just know it is possible for your child to continue benefits as long as enrolled in school upto a certain age...it may be 19 as someone else had said...but hey if you can recieve benfits for your child even a year longer thats a big help!!!

((Hugs))
    Bluerose
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

Call your SSA office. I don't know if you have to be a single parent or not.

My sister is a single parent, is on SSDI, and gets a small amt. for her 13 yr old son.