If I file for disabilty, can I work at all?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jackiegraye, Mar 23, 2006.

1. jackiegraye

jackiegraye New Member

Well, I am about to file for disability, and I wanted to know if I could work at all during this period. I'd like to try and work again, but I suspect I'll be able to keep up for a few week and then have to quit.

I appreciate yur help.

Thanks!
  2. debch

debch New Member

Hi jackiegraye,
    I ended up passing out at work and my doc at hospital told me I needed to finally quit work. I called HR where I worked and because of my time invested, I qualified for disability from work (after giving 2 wks notice). That started right away. My doc told me to go to Soc Security office and bring forms to him. The SSD began about 3 mos later. The SSD paperwork says one can still be on SSD and work something like 20 hrs/wk. I wish I could!

Good luck.
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

it has great info on it....do not quit your job...go on disability...they may need to keep your posistion open for you for up to a year depending on size of company and laws in yor state....

yes you can work while you have applied for ssdi/ssi...but it is always a good idea to be off work for atleast one year first...but go to the website...

i had worked during my ssdi appeal process...i had no choice..no child support...i did get fired from one jobe...attorney told me that would work in my favor, i couldn't multi-task...

i had tanf tell me i needed to go to work...i couldn't understand because i told my case worker i applied ofr ssdi and had surgery scheduled etc...

well the caseworker referred me to theis calworks program...i got a job and was crying while at work couldn't sleep pain...it goes on and on...finally this calwork counselfor called me at home and said i could not work and tey would get into trouble if they told me to work...and i shuld've never been referred to them...i said i was doing what the state told me to do..

the judge at my hearing knew about me working...and didn't make a big deal about it...o don't even know if he even questioned it at the time...

jodie
  4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

jackiegraye:
    I also believe that one can work part time, but will not get full benefits when the time comes. It will be reduced by how much you work.

N.F.

[ advertisement ]