If I quit working now will it affect Social Security when I'm 62?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jaltair, Nov 3, 2005.

1. jaltair

jaltair New Member

If someone stops working at age 59 and doesn't work again, how with that affect withdrawing Social Security once the person reaches 62 1/2?

If anyone can help me with this question, I'd appreciate it.

Still feeling badly `` and need to have an option if I can't go on disability. Just don't want to stop working if it'll affect anything.

Not thinking clearly.

Thanks.

Jeannette
  2. jaltair

jaltair New Member

It sounds like you pushed yourself just like I do now. Why is it that with nursing, "little is better" as far as admin goes? Saving money is one thing, but my gosh! They wear us all out!

The information that you provided is exactly what I needed to know. I do have plenty of quarters. My husband and I were just talking about this matter, and I wasn't clear on how it would work if I stopped working.

I have at least 9 more months before I can quit for retirement purposes at work.

I was also talking to him about going on disability after I go into retirement. Not sure that there would be a benefit or not, or if it would even go through.

For that matter, not sure if I can continue to work the 9 months or not with all of the problems I currently have going on. Maybe I should check out the disability with my doctor now. Just not sure which way to go.

Thanks again my friend!

Thanks, Jeannette
  3. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

I've been getting these automatically since I was about 58. I only worked part time so the money I get at 62 is not much of a change from 65.

You need to check on this before you decide to take money at 62. If you worked full time you will be cheating yourself (that is if you don't need the money yet) You are not required to begin taking it. My husband plans on working until he is 70 at his company. He turns 65 this month and thankfully is he very healthy.
  4. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Sunflower, I love the pansies in your painting! You do beautiful work . . !!!!!

Yes, my husband and I have been getting the ss reports. That's what started our discussion about if I could get the amount reported for me if I stopped working before I was 62.5. It's not made clear on the statements.

We both have pretty much decided to collect at 62.5 even though we won't get the maximum amount. We want to travel, etc. (of course, I hope that I can do that) before we get to our 70's. My parents did that and really had a good period during their 60's and 70's! As a matter of fact they play the country hit, "On the Road Again" for their 50th wedding anniversary.

Hi again Butzie. All those on this Board who've tried for disability and didn't make it make me just want to stop when I can and draw my paltry sum of retirement rather than fight for the early disability. Just can't imagine that I'd have the energy for that.

Know what you mean. Registered nursing now isn't "patient care" it's managing, paperwork, and supervision with very little patient contact. That's why I went into public health. Was different back when. I graduated HS 64, then went to nursing school - had a bumpy road with babies and going back. Didn't work full-time until my youngest was 7 (He's 33 now). None of my children or relations has gone into nursing, I think they've seen how it's affected me. Teaching has changed a lot as well. Feel very sorry for our teachers in California - their work is very hard as well.

Warmly, Jeannette

[This Message was Edited on 11/03/2005]
  5. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

Thanks for your compliment on my pic. Painting is my outlet for FM/CFS.

Sounds like you have a wonderful example in your parents. I hope you also have an opportunity for your next "phase" to do a lot of traveling and experiencing life from other vistas. I wish you all the luck in the world.