If I'm MIA...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Mikie, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Or not here as much as usual, it's because I have a very painful bone spur in my shoulder and it hurts to type. I can't get surgery until May 14 so am just hanging in there with OTC acetaminophen and icing it up, plus resting. I'll be popping in to check things out but won't be posting if I can help it.

As always, I'm sending everyone warm, healing hugs and prayers.

Love, Mikie
  2. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

Take care and get well soon Mikie. Hope the operation goes well for you in May.
  3. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

So sorry you are going through this, Mikie.

Praying you have successful surgery and feel better real soon.

I'll be around as much as possible.

Get lots of rest and take care!!
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

That sounds very painful - I'm sorry to hear that. Don't worry about replying to this post!

I'm sure you know that acetaminophen is not anti-inflammatory - it can reduce pain but does nothing for inflammation which causes pain. It's not recommended for arthritis or anything involving inflammation, though it will help with headaches. So you might get better pain relief with ibuprofen, which is an anti-inflammatory. They both have drawbacks - acetaminophen is the leading cause of acute liver failure in the U.S. - you have to be really careful with dosage and definitely don't want to mix it with alcohol. It's very hard on the liver. Ibuprofen can cause internal bleeding like aspirin if you take too much. So you have to be careful with both of them.

Please forgive the mini-lecture - I'm sure you know all this already.

One more thing that helps me a lot with muscle pain (and I know the bone spur is irritating tissue and muscle) is magnesium oil. It's anti-inflammatory as well, it's helped me with my back many times and also with a knee which gives me problems.

Take care -

Mary
  5. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Do they scrape this or cut something out? Ouch either way. Hope all goes good for you and that you heal quickly.
  6. gb66

gb66 Active Member

I had a bone spur on my knee about 10 years ago that hurt like crazy, especially when I walked. I had arthritis in the knees and did a little water therapy.

I don't know if the theraphy did it or not but the bone spur seems to have disappeared. I didn't know that could happen. The knot went down and the pain was completely gone from the area within a few weeks/month.

I know it was a bone spur because the rheumy x-rayed it and I saw it on the x-ray. I never had it looked at again after the pain and knot went away.

It hasn't returned either. Maybe yours will do the same in time. It had been hurting for months before this happened. I hope yours does the same. GB66
  7. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

I know how much they hurt! Sending warm fuzzies your way!

Soft hugs,
    Stacey
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The surgery is being done laparoscopally (is that a word?). Two tiny incisions. They shave down the spur and clean it all out. I will switch to Ibuprophen from the acetaminopen to try to lessen the inflammation. The doc told me to use Aleve but it made me sick. I can't even give it away to friends because none of them can tolerate it. My PCP doesn't like my using Ibuprophen because it affects the immune system but I think it's time.

Again, thank you all for your prayers, help and suggestions. I appreciate all the kind good wishes.

Love, Mikie
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I switched to ibuprophen and the pain is mostly gone. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Love, Mikie
  10. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I took it for a couple of years for pain from FM. So many people say their bone spurs have disappeared from taking this. Come to think of it I had a bone spur on my heel years ago (an xray showed it) but I haven't had pain from it in years.
  11. deepak

deepak Member

All the best for your surgery Mikie. :)

Love,
    Deepak
  12. Marta608

Marta608 Member

It occurs to me that I don't know why I'm writing when it's hard for you to read, but I wish you well, Mikie. I'm sending the same warm, healing hugs and prayers back to you.

Marta
  13. kbak

kbak Member

Mikie,
    Take care, and have a good recovery! God Bless!

kbak
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I appreciate each and every one of your kind replies. I was in an accident that pushed the front end of my car in and the air bag went off. All the energy from the crash traveled through the steering wheel, up my arms and into my shoulders. The bone spur showed up back then in about 1998 or 1999. So, I don't think it's going anywhere. It's either grown or the physiology of my shoulder has changed so that the spur is irritating the tendon.

This surgery should be a piece of cake (I know, I know--famous last words :)

It should be just two 1/4" incisions and a week in a sling. Of course, there will be PT for a while. I've always done pretty well after surgery so I'm not worried. It will be a relief to get rid of this painful annoyance.

Thanks again, everyone.

Love, Mikie