if it isn't one thing it's another.....anybody have Erythema ab igne?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by sunflowergirl, Mar 11, 2013.

1. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I sleep on a heating pad at night because of hip pain. Yesterday I discovered the side of my leg still looked awful after at least l5 hrs. I did a search and found what it's called.

Apparently some people's skin gets mottled after using heat for awhile on pain.
    My entire hip looks awful.....has for months and it doesn't go away....including some burn places for which I'm putting vitamin E. Now it's my leg too that has a brown mottled look.
  2. donna13210

donna13210 Member

I don't have Erythema, but I am concerned about you spending so much time applying heat to your hip. I know - heat feels good! But by causing damage to your skin, you are having to deal with two problems instead of one. In addition, laying on a heating pad can cause hidden damage to the wires, and you could get injured/shocked while you sleep!

Also, warm areas are a breeding ground for infection if there is a break in your skin, and you sure don't want that. And keep in mind that if there is inflammation in your hip, heat may only encourage it to stay and flourish.

For your skin, I would recommend trying extra-virgin organic Coconut Oil. The more I read about this product, the more amazed I am by it! Can't say for sure if it will help, but it won't hurt.

If you are looking for help resolving your hip pain, I would let go of the heating pad and submit a separate post for alternate treatment ideas. I hope you find relief soon!

Donna M
  3. sunflowergirl

I read up on it quite a lot yesterday. I have been applying vitamin E to the burn places and also thought about coconut oil rubbed on my skin, since I also started taking a few TBS. of it melted each day. There's a lot on alzheimers sites re: taking coconut oil for your brain.

My hip problem is bursitis. I saw an orthopedic surgeon last week for my neck and back and I asked him at the time about the bursitis. He's ordered PT and they will also show me how to do the proper stretching exercises for this. DARN.....like I said, it's always something!!!!!

I packed away my heating pads.....sob..... and also trying not to use the heated rice socks. I noticed a few years ago when I was using one a lot on my neck that my neck was looking "dirty" which must have been the blood vessels. It took about 3 months for the dark areas to go away.

I read that skin cancers can occur from too much heating pad use AND the latest......a laptop! I posted all this information so others will be aware of these dangers.
  4. sunflowergirl

Along with the exercises and stretching for bursitis they're going to work on the cervical stenosis.....neck traction.....now that scares me.

About 8 years ago I saw a chiropractor for my neck and back. Along with the adjustments he also worked on manually stretching my neck. I guess his xrays already showed troubles in that area.
  5. sunflowergirl

There's special stretches she can do for it. Some laying down on her back and some sitting in a chair.

That's terrible about the tooth. What excuse did her dentist give?
  6. donna13210

donna13210 Member

So glad you decided to quit the heating pads! However, if you are in bad pain and feel like you won't be able to sleep, I don't see any reason that you couldn't use one for awhile just before you go to bed. I just don't recommend laying ON TOP of it.

Sure hope the PT helps! Let us know how you are doing.

Take care,

Donna M.

7. positiveone

positiveone New Member

I too use the heating pad for my back. My back is mottled but no burning. After a year it almost went away but then I was rear ended and am using the heating pad again.

It feels soooo goood.
  8. sunflowergirl

It's my understanding that not everyone will get this mottling of their skin. I'm fair skin so perhaps that's why. Do a search on this subject. I found that skin cancer CAN result from it. I first noticed this mottling on the back of my neck about 7 years ago. I was almost continually using a heated rice sock wrapped around my neck. My son asked why my neck was discolored. The mottling took about 3 months to go away on my neck.

My hip and low back is almost covered with the purple and brown mottling but when I got it on the side of my leg where the heating pad was I decided to do a search. I had places were it was a 3rd degree burn (small spots turned crisp and peeled off) so I've been putting vitamin E (popping a little pill) on those places PLUS rubbing coconut oil into the whole mottled area. It's actually looking slightly better since using the oil.

Donna: I've learned some stretching exercises sitting in a chair, for my painful bursitis. I do them about 3 times a day including before I go to bed and I've found that they're helping with the pain.[This Message was Edited on 03/14/2013]

Positiveone: I've got several gel filled large packs for the freezer. I find that the cold really helps with the pain......it helps numb the pain. CVS is fairly new to carry this. I believe it's about 7" x l2" or something like that. I also have 6 of the smaller gel filled (reusable) that I slip inside a knee hi. I sewed on a piece of velcro and I can fasten it around my neck......I'm actually wearing one right now.[This Message was Edited on 03/14/2013]
  9. donna13210

donna13210 Member

In my post above, I said:

"So glad you decided to quit the heating pads! However, if you are in bad pain and feel like you won't be able to sleep, I don't see any reason that you couldn't use one for awhile just before you go to bed. I just don't recommend laying ON TOP of it."

I should clarify to say that I meant that once your skin clears up & is back to normal, it should be okay to use the heat pad once in awhile for a short time. Not all night.

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but I hope you know that the same cautions exist when using ice. You're only supposed to use it for a short time (20 minutes, I believe) and you're supposed to have a layer or two of protective fabric between the ice and your skin. You can actually get frostbite symptoms if you overdo it with ice.

I know, nothing is easy, is it?? And like you said, if it's not one thing, it's another!!

Hang in there,
    Donna M.
  10. sunflowergirl

My husband told me maybe I should put a towel between me and the heating pad. It does have the covering though but probably not enough. The ice is not really ice (which definitely could freeze the skin) but the gel doesn't get as cold.

Actually years ago the chiropractor I was seeing told me 20 min. on and 20 min off with both ice and heat. Of course, when you're in a lot of pain you just think a little more won't hurt.

I keep saying I've been given a defective body and want a new model! When I was young I wish I had known what could go wrong so I would eat right, exercise, and take "the right path in life"!!!!!
  11. donna13210

donna13210 Member

Funny about being given a defective body! Great idea - I want a newer model, too!

I'm not sure if the gel packs get cold enough to damage your skin. Mine came with it's own fabric outer wrap. The instructions on the pack (or the box it came in) should tell you whether or not it's safe to apply it directly to your skin. I couldn't stand that much cold on my skin anyway!

12. momspain

momspain New Member

If you will whip some egg whites it will not only take the burn away it will heal your skin