if money was not an issue do you think it would help your cfs/fm

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LindaJones, Jan 19, 2011.

1. LindaJones

LindaJones New Member

If money was not an issue do you think it would help your cfs/fm?
    Do you think financial worries contribute to stress that affects your cfs/fm?
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Money hasn't always been an issue with me, and it didn't help my CFS at all.
  3. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I wouldn't have to work 2 jobs. I like working to keep busy, but lately it has been too much for me to handle.
  4. kjfms

kjfms Member

5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

it would help indirectly - in other words, I don't think that the stress itself is making things any worse

however, if I were not so incredibly broke that I can't even really make ends meet, then I could afford to live somewhere that would be a lot better for my health (the apt I live in is really NOT healthy, and the area of the country is not good either with major weather extremes)

and if I had more money I could hire someone to clean, run errands, get groceries, etc and that would mean that I could rest more and also maybe actually be able to have a tiny bit of a social life again (those things would help a lot, too)

and it would help with getting different treatments, etc

I could go on, but I think the point is clear....for me stress is not the problem, but all the other things that require money to be able to be healthier are definitely big problems

6. Yucca13

Yucca13 Member

Yes, I know that if money was not a concern I would feel much better.

Let me count the ways!

1. I could move to a mild climate where I know I feel better because I have spent time there. That is the most expensive change that I know would help me.

2. I could live in a dwelling that wasn't almost 40 years old and needs repair/upgrading. If I lived in a house that had newer flooring (instead of almost 20 year old carpeting) maybe my allergies would probably not be such a constant problem. I could afford help with yard work.

3. Just the constant keeping up with monthly bills and being stressed when there are unexpected expenses whether it is new tires, wood for the woodburner, car repairs/insurance, a new tooth crown, emergency home repairs, attaching to a sewer system, etc. etc. I could go on and on.

4. My husband could have health insurance so we don't have to live in fear of his being injured/becoming ill.

5. We could buy life insurance. Right now the premiums are very high because my husband has a few health concerns so they don't want to insure him reasonably. Of course, if were set financially, I guess that wouldn't be a concern.

6. Ok., I guess I covered the basics. Now on to the 'luxuries' such as comfortable clothes - maybe from a good quality company like Lands End or L.L. Bean. I wouldn't have to be always on the alert for a sale in order to stay within budget. Comfortable shoes (which cost a few bucks) would be nice.

7. I could go to an upscale salon for a haircut instead of a beauty school every 4-5 months and wouldn't have to do my own hair color which I'm not fond of doing.

8. I could afford crowns/implants my teeth that are falling apart (not from neglect but from wear and tear).

9. I could care for my cats in a healthier way. As it is, we do buy them half good food and half "junk" food. Vet bills have been a real hardship at times (like last year when we lost 3 of our senior babies).

10. Hell, we could buy healthier food for ourselves also. I have cooking burnout once in a while so maybe we would go out for dinner once a week instead of once every six weeks!

I'm sure I have forgotten some important things. Oh yeah, traveling would be nice. Going to a movie or a live show or concert would be inspiring. Having all that is needed for a great hobby would be nice. Buying new (instead of used) home decor items would be a nice change, not to mention furniture. A massage every now and then would be nice. A 'natural' facelift at my age (early 60s) might be refreshing.

Don't get me wrong - I am thankful for what I have and we have what we need for the most part, but having the "wants" would be nice just for a change of pace. Living on a low, fixed income is not all that inspiring. I'm proud that we always pay our bills on time, we are not in a great deal of debt and are able to get along without a lot of extras.

In 2000, my husband received a settlement of about $75,000 from a Class Action suit. We very foolishly put most of it into an investment that turned out to be a scam (a Ponzie scheme). We should have checked it out a lot more. The old saying: "If it sounds too good to be true, it must not be true" would apply to our experience. Anyway, the year or so when we thought our ship had come in was a a lot of fun. When we got payouts we would go out to dinner, give money to the kids, etc. etc. It sure improved my outlook. I'm pretty sure that was our one and only 'chunk of change' and hope of more disappeared when the crooks were arrested. Oh well.
  7. hi all,
    yes ,if money was not a issue,i think my fibro might not be as extreme.
    its the stress that makes the muscles tighten,and then sends those awefull pain signals out,and you just lose the ability to use the muscles properly.

as regards the cfs,i cant be sure that it would fix itself,but i would like to think it might.

i know that my fibro is more painfull while we are struggling to pay the rent and feed ourselves.its just a continual struggle isnt it.

take care,love fran.
  8. rachel76

rachel76 New Member

Every severe chronic illness that does not have a cure is going to be a bit more comfotable if you have the money.
    But that's all it would be ...- *just a bit* more comfotable.

If I were a billionaire I don't think it would make much difference to my now being housebound.

The only difference would be that I could afford to try and fund research for cure.

I actually was made worse by having enough money to go to see Dr Myhill when I was 19 years old for my CFS/ME.
    She was expensive and she put me on a diet and gave me shots (EPD) with goodness knows what's in them and it made me much worse.
    I'ed have been better off if I hadn't had the money to see her.

[This Message was Edited on 01/27/2011]
  9. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Well I think financial worries can contribute to stress that affects our health in general.

Would having a ton of money make my Fibro "all better"... well I wish, but sadly, not. I do believe that it would provide me some temporary relief here and there.

As my Dr. tells me often, he's going to write a prescription for frequent trips to warmer climate for me. I wish that I didn't have to work at all, but I do.

For me personally, on the days I don't work, I'd spend more time w/my Mom. Right now, those days are spent resting, regrouping, gearing back up for the next day of work.

I would probably allow myself some self-indulgence - massages etc. The free time that I did have (the hours I'm currently working), I'd try to volunteer somewhere and feel useful to those less fortunate.

I know that I have it a lot better than many people. I am not complaining about my life at all. I have the most important things, which is a great family, lots of love, my children, a beautiful house that I've made into a lovely home. What I am working on is more inner peace, setting and achieving more personal goals in spite of having Fibro and not letting this beast get in my way!
  10. IanH

IanH Active Member

In FM as in ME/CFS the pain makes the muscles and tendons tighten, causing more pain and more sensitivity to psychological stress. Ability to deal with stress is a problem for people with ME/CFS and FM but it is more of an effect than a cause. Of course the pain-tension is a viscious circle.

If you argue that stress is the cause then that is saying that FM or ME/CFS is psychogenic. Evidence says it is not.

You might ask where does the pain come from? The immune system causes it.
    Why does the immune system cause pain? It is dysfunctional from chronic infection or toxins and mitochondria fail to make enough energy for cells and neurons to function properly.

For me, money not being an issue has been a help because its one stressor i don't have to worry about but I also live in New Zealand where my drugs and medical assistance are free or very cheap. We do live a simple life now compared to the hectic consumptive life before.

My wife and I both have ME/CFS and we have to work hard on living day to day. The illness has taught us to appreciate different things in life, so in some ways we see our illness as having contributed to a better life.

We work part time.
    Our diet has improved and reduced
    We are more tolerant and compassionate
    We help others who are needy
    We consume less of the world's resources
  11. jole

jole Member

As someone else mentioned, I would feel much better if living in a different location. Our son/wife took us with them to Florida on vacation a few years ago, and that's the best I've felt in 9 years. The water and the warmth made such a difference for me. I can live on very little...am not a materialistic person, but crave the warmth of the sun and tranquility of the water. Kansas does not have that...lol.