If not mono, then what?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KMD90603, May 5, 2006.

1. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

I'm just so confused. I had mono when I was 15, or so I thought. I remember being out of school for over a month, and even my mom said I tested positive for mono. However, now I'm 24 years old, and my EBV antibody panel came out negative for past or current infection. How could that be? I'm just frustrated because I've always associated my CFIDS with having mono 9 years ago, and I thought EBV stays in your blood for life. Ugh, I hate this disease.

On top of that, I have not been able to have a normal bowel movement since yesterday morning. Sorry to be gross. But I can't seem to go, and when I do go, only mucus comes out. And on top of that my right flank is KILLING me. I slept awful last night, because every time I turned it would bother me. I don't remember doing anything to hurt it, so I don't know what it is.

Gentle hugs,
    Kim
  2. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

I'm not sure why your panel for a past EBV virus showed up negative. Lab testing is not perfect, mistakes can happen.
    If you had mono (EBV) in the past, then your labs should show that you had a past infection. Although the anti-bodies stay with you, the EBV is not necessarily "active".

For example, I had EBV in my early 20's. I was very sick. Now, in my 50's, and my EBV is NOT active, only the past infection showed up in the lab work.

CFIDS is not necessarily "caused" by EBV. CFIDS is a syndrome, and many factors play into it. The following is from the fibroandfatigue dot com website, of the Fibromyalgia and Fatigue Centers.

"Current research suggests that many triggers can initiate a cascade of events, causing the hypothalamic, pituitary, immune and coagulation dysfunction. The most common initiating cause is a viral or bacterial infection, which is very commonly Epstein Bar Virus (EBV), Cytomegalovirus (CMV), HHV6, mycoplasma, Chlamydia pneumonia or Lyme disease.

These are found in 80% of CFIDS and FM patients. Many people with these syndromes can pinpoint the start of their disease to a viral infection that never got better. Also, stress seems to be a contributing factor.

...close to 100% of individuals with these syndromes have low thyroid. This is, however, usually not picked up on the standard blood tests because the TSH is not elevated in these individuals because of the pituitary dysfunction.

Many of these individuals will also have high levels of the anti-thyroid reverse T3, which is usually not measured on standard blood tests. In addition, the majority of individuals can also have a thyroid receptor resistance that is not detected on the blood tests.

Consequently, thyroid treatment, especially with timed release T3 is effective for many patients. T4 preparations (inactive thyroid) such as Synthroid and Levoxyl do not work well for these conditions.

Adrenal insufficiency and growth hormone deficiency are also very common with these disorders, and supplementation with these hormones can often have profound effects. As with thyroid testing, these deficiencies are, unfortunately, usually not detected with the standard screen blood tests and require more specific testing.

When an individual is found to have one of the viruses discussed above, these can be treated with resulting improvement in symptoms. It can require a combination of medications, supplements and sometimes intravenous treatments to eradicate some of the persistent infections."

Hope something here helps you. Take care,
    Hopeful4