If U get SSI can U then go to SSD?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by keke466, Jul 17, 2006.

1. keke466

keke466 New Member

This might be a stupid ??. When you apply for SSD can you apply for SSD SSI at the same time? If you're approved for SSI can you receive it and then get approved for SSD and then stop the SSI and pickup the SSD. Just trying to figure it out. Does it take as long for SSI as it does for SSD? If you don't have any income at all would you qualify for SSI before SSD.

Keke
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

keke:

I could not get SSI because they said my
    SSD check was 'too high'. Sure.

If I were you I would try to get the SSI and see if you can get the wheels rollin'.

nyrofan
  3. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I have a friend that got ssi while he filed for ssdi.He won his case and they took him off ssi and than his ssdi started a few months latter.

He also got medicade while he was on ssi and now is on medicare.

Hope I was some help.

Sue
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

Your questions would be best answered by the Social Security Administration--you could make a list of all of your questions, and if you can't find the answers on the SSA website, give them a call and start down your list!!

Here is some FYI reading:

SSI is a low income program. To be eligible to receive SSI benefits based on disability, you cannot have more than $2,000.00 in assets or resources.

What are assets and resources? They include money in a savings account, cash value in life insurance policies, additional motor vehices (i.e. extra cars), and real property (other than the home you reside in).

For SSDI, there is no limit on assets or household income (income of spouse.)

1. What Is Social Security Disability Insurance (“SSDI”)?

“SSDI” stands for “Social Security Disability Insurance”, an insurance program for workers who become unable to work. It is administered by the Social Security Administration (“SSA”), funded by “FICA” tax withheld from workers’ pay and by employer contributions, and pays qualifying disabled workers both cash and health care benefits. Workers who have worked and paid FICA tax for at least 5 of the 10 years prior to onset of their disability generally will be covered by SSDI. Younger workers can qualify with fewer years of work. You can apply for SSDI benefits (and learn whether your are covered for SSDI) at any SSA office or by calling SSA toll-free at 800-772-1213.

2. Is “SSDI” the same as “SSI”?

“SSI” or “Supplemental Security Income” is similar to SSDI: both programs are administered by SSA, both offer disability benefits, and both use the same legal definition of “disability.” However, the programs differ significantly in how a person financially qualifies for benefits. For example:

BENEFIT AMOUNTS. The SSDI benefit is calculated on a disabled worker’s past earnings, which means that different workers may receive different monthly payment amounts. SSI pays a standard monthly benefit of $500 for an individual (in 1999). (Exception: Even though the SSI benefit is fixed, individual checks may vary because of deductions required by law.) Some states pay a supplement to SSI recipients.

HEALTHCARE BENEFITS. Recipients of SSDI qualify for Medicare benefits 24 months after their first monthly check. SSI recipients receive Medicaid benefits immediately, without a waiting period.

EFFECT OF INCOME AND RESOURCES OF OTHER PEOPLE. Benefits of SSDI recipients are not affected by the income of others, or by their own income that is not earned from current work. For example, one’s investment income does not affect his or her SSDI benefits. But benefits of SSI recipients may be reduced (or end) because of income and resources received by the beneficiary, or the income and resources of others who contribute to the beneficiary’s support.
    When you apply for either SSDI and/or SSI disability benefits, SSA should automatically check to see whether you qualify for either one or both.