if you are new(aand even the older ones....a suggestion

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by seaview, Dec 9, 2002.

1. seaview

seaview New Member

When I Went to the docor(horror story already explaided)he asked me every med I had taken,hoe much,how long,,,,,what surguries, injestions, adn so on. I was hard pressed to remember them and how I felton them.

So, my big advice to all of you is to jounal everything taken,how much ,how long,effects of drug,and the same with any surgeries and procedures. This is what started me off on the wrong foot because I couldn't answer these ?s. I kept having to ask him about how the dosing went so I could try and jog my memory. I could see that this was aggitating him. I apoligized for not having kept better records and he told me that he would have thought that I would know the answers to these questions....oh well, so I thought each med would do the trick and I wouldn't be trying another!Shame on me!
    So, learn from me....whether you try something for one week or several months document it all. As he so curtly told me...I do not have time to read through these files!
    So, take this advice and heed it so you will never go through what I did.......Kathleen
  2. seaview

seaview New Member

When I Went to the docor(horror story already explaided)he asked me every med I had taken,hoe much,how long,,,,,what surguries, injestions, adn so on. I was hard pressed to remember them and how I felton them.

So, my big advice to all of you is to jounal everything taken,how much ,how long,effects of drug,and the same with any surgeries and procedures. This is what started me off on the wrong foot because I couldn't answer these ?s. I kept having to ask him about how the dosing went so I could try and jog my memory. I could see that this was aggitating him. I apoligized for not having kept better records and he told me that he would have thought that I would know the answers to these questions....oh well, so I thought each med would do the trick and I wouldn't be trying another!Shame on me!
    So, learn from me....whether you try something for one week or several months document it all. As he so curtly told me...I do not have time to read through these files!
    So, take this advice and heed it so you will never go through what I did.......Kathleen
  3. CelticLadee

CelticLadee New Member

I am new to being sick and have found it difficult to deal with doctors and their lack of preparation when I visit. Often times they seem to have come in without reading my chart and seem unaware of what they should already know. I am on another page (so to speak) at the time I go in because I am trying to remember all the new stuff I want to report & question and so I find it difficult with my mind being so foggy to review what they want to know and then get back to what I am there to talk about. I think your journal suggestion would help me with this as well as remembering what was done or what I took and how I reacted to it. But I am afraid the doctors I have visited would be taken back somewhat if I brought in a journal to help me. There seems to be some sort of stigma about patients with journals and records, etc. being hypochondriacs. How do you deal with these obnoxious attitudes that I hear doctors and nurses spout off? CelticLadee
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Here's what I have learned to do: I take a one-page document with me that outlines all my symptoms (in order of what bothers me the most), procedures/tests already done (ex: MRIs, bloodwork, nerve studies, spinal tap) & what was either eliminated or ruled in (ex: lupus, lyme disease, OA or RA, MS etc.), dates of these tests if you have them, and meds/supplements you are taking, or have taken. I choose my words carefully, so I can be as concise as possible; definitely keep it to ONE PAGE. Most doctors WILL look at one page.

I think a journal would be too time consuming for the doctor to look thru, and if YOU look thru it you might not catch everything you want to tell him at that moment, but, Kathleen, I think it is an excellent, really essential idea to keep at home--kind of a diary of your illness--that you can use to update your one-page document. And I do periodically update my "doc"-ument, because as we all know, FM/CFS can change so much, and our symptoms seem to evolve & change.

Anyway, I have found this working well for me...good luck, everyone, we all need better ways of making our doctor visits really work for us instead of against us.

Hugs,
    Pam