If you are not happy with your meds help yourself

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by charlie21, Nov 1, 2006.

1. charlie21

charlie21 New Member

So many people on this board are taking meds, that they are not getting any relief from. Maybe it is easy for me to say, because my personality is a strong 'A' type, a real go getter. You can do some of your own research on drugs you know, and if you like the sound of it, why not run a copy of some of the research carried out, print it off, and talk to your doctor. For example I am trying Mirapexin (U.K.) or in the U.S.A. they call it Mirapex, and it treats Parkinson's disease. I suffer from FM bordering on CFS and have restless legs. I have been on this drug now for 6 weeks on mini doses, and it has reduced my pain, stiffness, and muscle spasms, and the restless legs have gone for ever at bedtime. Please understand I am not promoting this drug, but merely trying to help myself if I can, and team up with my doc try to elleviate the problems I am having. This is not a full blown cure for FM understand, but some people have been getting some pretty good results from it. What I am trying to say, you have a voice, use it, bounce your ideas of your doctor, have the information in front of you as to why you feel you would benefit from it. There are so many meds out there, that perhaps would be more suitable. Just a thought. Charlie
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I am in full agreement with Charlie.
  3. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

ESPECIALLY vital here, since so many of our doctors aren't up to speed on our conditions.
  4. charlie21

charlie21 New Member

Had my second lot of Zopiclone last night, and slept a whole 8 hours, work up feeling so relaxed, not rigid ness in arms and legs. Yesterday, I was however tired during the day, and everything was an effort, but I think it may be due to me trying to catch up after all those months of no sleep. I think there is some residual with these tablets, although a lot people tell me not. But I also take my Mirapex at the same time as my Zopiclone, so I suppose the two combined may make me a bit more sleepy. I have also noticed that I have not felt anxious during the day for no apparent reason. It feels so great to just sleep. Anyone who does not have this problem wouldn't have a clue would they. Well now I have had two full nights sleep, it will be interesting how the rest of my day goes,I should be like superwoman LOL. Charlie
  5. texasmaia

texasmaia New Member

You are sooooo right, Charlie!!! Our docs are well intentioned but also on overload.

I did the same thing with Topamax for my migraines. Read about it and researched on the net, went to my doc and said I want to try this. He said "That's a great idea, in fact....let's try something else too" and put me on the Cymbalta. I have been much better since. Not a cure, but it worked for the time and has made my life better.

Things change with this syndrome, and I have learned how communication with our docs is so important.

Before getting diagnosed, I would take the pain in the shoulders till I couldn't stand it any more and then go in for that. Six months later, I couldn't stand the leg aches and back in I would go for that. Etc. Etc. If I had ever just gone in and said this hurts, and this hurts and this hurts and ......I would have been diagnosed much sooner I am sure. Docs had a hard time putting it all together because I didn't take the whole picture to them. I felt like a whiny baby if I complained about everything that seemed to be wrong with me.

Now.....if there is a problem ...I address it. With the web access we have there is no reason we should not be able to do our own research on our bodies and how to treat them.

Glad you have found some relief Charlie! Great post.
    Maia

6. charlie21

charlie21 New Member

I have been on Zopiclone 7.5 for a week now, I think I would wake up if I heard a noice i.e. fire alarm. The reason I say this, is I have three cats, and they snuggle up next to me on the bed, and I do stir to cuddle them. I am having a full 8 hours, virtually never heard before. I am just sending a bit of reassurance to you, because we need our sleep. I was only getting 1 - 3 hours. Cannot remember if you said you were already on it, I always take mine in bed, because I don't feel sleepy before I go to sleep, next thing it is morning, strange sensation after taking diazepam, and I don't wake up feel hungover. Charlie
  7. Marta608

Marta608 Member

....however, I think this may be a bit more difficult for those of us with CFS because we're often too tired to do research. I've been trying for years to figure out why I can function some days but not others. On the days I'm functioning better I have to accomplish the tasks of living and when I can't function, I can't research.

But I keep trying!

Marta

8. charlie21

charlie21 New Member

Your life sounds tuff, and I am sorry that you have to go through this awful thing. Just a thought, can someone not do the research for you, and tell you about it, then all you have to do is sit and listen if that isn't too exhausting too. I have fm, lots of aches and pains, but has improved a bit lately, then it goes that way doesn't it. I have often become confused about cfs and fm, the symptoms are so similar. Sometimes I don't ache, but feel tired all the time, and just want to flake out. Sometimes I ache all over, but don't feel tired mentally, only physically, and sometimes I have aches and pains and feel tired all the time, just don't know what to make of it. Golly I feel very confused with that last bit lol. Fingers crossed for a cure. Charlie.
  9. charlie21

charlie21 New Member

I do find zopiclone strange. I don't seem to have the drowsiness like my other pills. Kind of gives a warning that I best get into bed. I just take them get straight into bed, about 20 minutes later I fall asleep, and the next thing I know it is morning. Charlie
  10. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Yes, it is difficult when it comes to researching but that's one reason I come here. There are some nice folks who have the energy and/or lack of fog and sometimes I can figure out what they're saying. lol Of course most of them have FM and not CFS.

Marta