If You Can't Take Estrogen for Hot Flashes, Then Take This ....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Jul 31, 2006.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

Seizure Drug as Effective as Estrogen for Hot Flashes
    (Ivanhoe Newswire) -- There may be a new option for women who suffer from postmenopausal hot flashes.

New research from the University of Rochester in New York reveals the seizure drug gabapentin -- sold under the brand name Neurontin -- is as effective as estrogen in treating menopause symptoms.

Sixty postmenopausal women took part in the study. They were randomly divided into three groups -- 20 took gabapentin and a placebo estrogen pill each day, 20 received estrogen and a fake gabapentin pill, and 20 took placebos that looked like gabapentin and estrogen. The study lasted 12 weeks.

Results revealed a high placebo effect similar to other menopause studies -- women who took the two sugar pills reported a 54-percent reduction in hot flashes. But there were even better results for women in the other two groups. Women taking gabapentin reported a 71-percent decline in symptoms, and women taking estrogen reported a 72-percent decline in symptoms. The difference between these two groups was not statistically significant.

Researchers conclude gabapentin is as effective as estrogen in treating hot flashes. They hypothesize it may reduce the symptoms by regulating the flow of calcium in and out of cells -- one mechanism for controlling body temperature.

Study participants who took gabapentin had more headaches, dizziness or disorientation. But researchers say gradually increasing to the recommended dose and taking the drug with food can get rid of the side effects.

This article was reported by Ivanhoe.com, who offers Medical Alerts by e-mail every day of the week. To subscribe, go to: http://www.ivanhoe.com/newsalert/.

SOURCE: Obstetrics & Gynecology, 2006;108:1-1

2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

3. toughone

toughone New Member

Be very careful taking this med--bad side effects. I know of a few people who have taken it, including myself, and each had to stop. I believe it is one that they are trying to take out of circulation...

toughone
  4. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I had trouble with that to. Made me Super tired I couldn't get up.
  5. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

The first dose I took, I hallucinated. My doc looked at me like I had 8 heads. My sister had hallucinations also from taking it. Needless to say I never took a second dose.

I am not trying to scare anyone either because it has been helpful to many people, but my father was on the max dosage for many years and after he got off of it, his doc told him that it causes your teeth to rot out of your head.
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

I have been on Neurotin for years! I have never had any side effects from it whatsoever.

I am on it for the fibro pain -- I was not aware that it would help hot flashes until I read this article!

It has been one of the best meds for my fibro!!

As I have said before, meds affect all people differently. What works for one, may not work for another.

I happen to love the results that I have gotten with it!

Hugs,
    Janet
  7. valleydoll

valleydoll New Member

If you can't tolerate Neurontin ~~ for hot flashes I use Evening Primose Gel caplets 1000 mg, one twice daily and my hot flashes disappeared completely!!! It is available at Wal Mart in the vitamin section. Good luck.
    Valleydoll
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

Thanks for the info. I'm going to pass it along to my eldest daughter -- she can't take estrogen due to it causing blood clots, and she hates to go to the doctors ... so she won't be asking about the Neurotin, but she is at WalMart 3-4 times a month, so she might try the supplement!!!

Thanks again!

jlh