If you could only read one book on FMS which?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by zggygirl, Jul 17, 2003.

1. zggygirl

zggygirl New Member

Hi,
    I would like to read a good book about FMS and ME. I have already read some of From fatigued to fantastic.
    I am looking for one that will help me to have a better understanding as to why I feel like this. Nothing too technical- more of something positive or spiritually oriented with help in dealing with this. Maybe where I say "Ah-Ha!", now I understand this disease better and why I feel like I do.
    Since I am on a limitied budget I can only pick one at this time.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks!!!
    Ziggy
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

The best to me would be; 'Fibromyaliga & Chronic Myofascial Pain (A Survival Manual)' by Devin Starlanyl.

I don't know about 'spiritually oriented', I use the Bible for my own sprirituality, I am not one for people telling me why and how to deal with my beliefs and my pain. I get my strength from the direct source here, sorry.

You can try Barns and Nobel, and Amazon books on line, they both sell used books that are greatly discounted. You maybe able to get more than one for the price of one, I am always buying books like that or just cruising the secondhand book stores!

Shalom, Shirl

[This Message was Edited on 07/17/2003]
  3. JP

JP New Member

Hello Ziggy,

I thought Mary Shomon's book; Living Well with Autoimmune Disease includes some good research and explanations. It's in paperback with a reasonable price.

As for understanding, well, much of the problem is that FM is a syndrome. It has not taken the great leap into being classified as disease by the AMA. Once that happens there will be more funds available for research and pharmaceutical companies will rev up their engines to produce medications that are specific to FM. Just my 2 cents worth.

Take care,
    Jan
  4. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

By Devin J. Starlanyl, MD dolsgirl
  5. zggygirl

zggygirl New Member

I'll check them out at the bookstore and then look for them on line used. I never thought of that! Thanks Shirl!
  6. teach6

teach6 New Member

I have copies of Pellegrino's book and Starlanyl's. They are both doctors with FM. I would take Devin's hands down over the other one. Both are informative and easy to read and understand, I just think hers is more accurate and has better explanations than his does. His isn't bad, though.

Barbara
  7. toots2

toots2 New Member

Ditto on the "Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome." In my opinion, it is the best book out there and I have read many. Dr. Starlanyl is supposed to be the leading authrority on fibromyalgia, is an m.d. herself and also suffers with fibromyalgia. It will tell you everything you need to know and more. Toots
  8. northcoombes

northcoombes New Member

Hi Ziggy

After having Fibro for eight years and having read everything I can (off and online) I recently bought a book that made the world of difference to me. It is called "Fibromyalgia Understanding and getting relief from the pain that won't go away". It is written by Don Goldenberg is who is a reconised authority on FMS, Chief of Rheumatology at Newton-Wellesley Hospital and Professor of Medicine at Tufts University. He is married to a woman who was disgnosed with FMS 20 years ago and this led to his interest in FMS. He was one of the people appointed to set the citeria for diagnosis of FMS in the US. What I loved about this book was that it was so simple to read. I have From Fatigued to Fantastic but I find it too hard to apply to my every day life. Dr Goldenberg's book puts everything in perspective and each chapter is a joy to read. The best part of all (and the chapter that made me buy the book!) is the last one "Will I get better?". We can get all the technical or medical info we need from lots of sources - this book has changed my life because it forced me to accept my FMS and to do so in a positive way that has really given me peace and motivation to get well. I really, really recommend you read it!!!
  9. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

I have been reading more books these days (or trying to---I fall asleep) thanks to this board. There seems to be a lot of good info out there now, and am praying these theories hold true for most of us.

However, the very first book I would suggest to a FMer is Devin Starlanyl's books.

I am grateful to all of you who recently have posted book titles, I'm learning more!

Thanks, June
  10. little

little Member

Her book 'Fibromyalgia & Chronic Myofascial Pian Syndrome' was a life saver for me. Until I read that book I thought that I was dying. It answered so many questions for me. I have been to the doctors for over thirty years and have spent thousand of dollars, I got no answers. This book cost $20.00, it answered all of my questions. I highly reccomend it. I couldn't afford it at first so I got it at the library. Good Luck. Gail
  11. zggygirl

zggygirl New Member

Thank you so much for your recommendations. I found it helpful to read how each book did or didn't help you.
    Northcoombes : thanks for the big discription of the book you recommended. I copied your comments on my book list. I also that Fatiuged to Fantastic was too hard to apply to every day life.

Little: I think I better get that book! I do think I am dying at times. In fact that question was on my doctors new patient quetionerre. I cried when I read it. Then I answered I think my life as I know it is dying.
    Thanks everyone!
    Ziggy