If you had it to do over again..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mrpain, Jul 8, 2006.

1. mrpain

mrpain New Member

If you had it to do over again, what would you do differently and how do you think it would have made a difference if any?
  2. ckball

ckball New Member

Now I am sleepy so the short version- No I wouldn't change. I am the person I a today because of how I responded to the problems in my life.

It was bad, dad died at 5, mom had new man to soon and I was just in the way, I learned early to be independent. Probably why I have been single for 12 years.

I love my little peice of heaven I live on, I have my furbies, then there are my tools, workshop, glass studio, toys so I can creat unique art. That is how I work by problems off thru art be it my house or a canvas

I can't wait to the other response. Carla
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

If I had *what* to do over again, what would I do differently?

If you are talking about my medical treatment for fibro, cfs, and all my other illnesses .... I would do the same thing that I have already done as far as what I have tried, etc.

I made what I considered educated decisions as far as what avenue that I wanted to pursue for treatment, therefore, I would do it again.

Same as far as my continuing to work full-time for 30 years before deciding to take early retirement.

As far as other aspects of my personal life, I would have done everything the same that I did.

It is always so easy to look at hindsight and think of what you "could of", "should of", "would of, if it had not been for xxxxx" -- but that really bears no meaning on what is happening now, because it is all in the past. What you need to really examine closely, is what path you want to take in the future.

Hugs,
    Janet
  4. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

I use to get asked that a lot since my past isn't the nicest but not the worst either and my answer has always been and always be nothing. Other then this DD I like the person I am and all of my past has made me that type of person. Nope not one single thing........SueF
  5. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i would pick different parents for one...

i would have completed all my accomplishments and stuck w/my goals....

i would've fired my dr last year....

i would've went into e.r. to get my mri sooner for my worker's comp case and ssdi...for more documentation

i have a long list, so i will stop now to let others share.

jodie
  6. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

I would have QUIT that good paying job that started this roller coaster ride. From the stress and from comming back too work too soon from surgery.

It was 10 mins away, good pay and the WORST company I ever worked for.

Jerry Springer wouldn't even take then on his show.

But, no ..I was going to college at nite to go on to a different profession. ( which is on hold since this DD reared its ugly head).
    I kept saying okay they are retards and I can just
    ignore all the office non sense. Afairs,drugs, drunks.

Along witht the witch I worked with obsevissive, compulsive drunk.

I still keep kicking myself.

7. mrpain

mrpain New Member

I'll make a deal with you.... I'll change my screen-name from mrpain to mrpainfree, when that truth happens... It's hard to call myself mrpainfree now because I would feel like such a liar...

I understand the power of positive thinking and I'm certainly working on becoming painfree, but it hasn't happened in over 20 years yet so that's why I go by the name mrpain... But thanks for the suggestion and I wish you all the best!

PS.- I also had to end my career the same way that you had to.. Not just the physical part but the mental cognitive impairment due to brainfog... You mentioned having an answer for that now but you didn't mention what the answer was.. If I read your post correctly, it seemed it had something to do with a prescription from the doctor, or possibly a treatment or vitamin. Would you mind telling me because I would love something that would help brainfog..
    [This Message was Edited on 07/09/2006]
  8. Juloo

Juloo Member

The unique person I've become is because of what I've been through. I told a friend of mine, I have learned so much with this challenge. I cannot imagine my life another way.

THAT SAID, there are a couple of things I'd tell my younger self...

Get a night nurse for Mom (when she was dealing with cancer, and I was trying to take care of both her and my new son.)

Take better care of yourself -- pay for someone to make meals if you have to...so many people depend on you, and the best way to make sure you'll be there for them is to care for yourself first.

Oh that 20/20 hindsight!
  9. Marta608

Marta608 Member

By "it", do you mean life?

I would have done a lot of things differently knowing what I know now, but then I wouldn't be the person I am today and a lot of that is good.

Marta
  10. mrpain

mrpain New Member

ckball-don't you just hate it when you lose something you worked so hard on! Hope you get plenty of rest...

jlh- I've been reading a lot of your posts and have great respect for you. I find myself agreeing with you on the ones I've read and agree with your perspective on this thread too.

There is one thing I would say about our past though that we can learn from and take with us, and that is to learn from our mistakes in order not to make them again. Also to learn from our doctors mistakes for the same reason. It will also help us to help others.

We are to move forward, but the past is a learning field for the future. Never forget the lessons we've been taught.
  11. mrpain

mrpain New Member

dncnfngrs- some great information...One question though; what herbal pain med are you referring to??

desertsage- you must be a very hard worker. Are you retired now?

haleycole- I'm with you on trying to hold a thought for more than 5 seconds. Even as I reply to a post, by the time I start to type, I forget half of what I read..
  12. mrpain

mrpain New Member

Thank you!
  13. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Related to leaving work and applying for my disability pension: If I had it to do over again, I would have left work as soon as the symptoms got the upper hand. Instead, I decreased my hours (from 40-25), hoping with the lesser hours, I'd be okay.

I wasn't okay and less than a year later, I went off work. Of course, now my pension is based on the 25-hour week instead of a 40-hour week. Paying out at 60% means my pension is significantly lower because of my decision to work part-time.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  14. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

the kind of discussion that can drive you crazy.

Like Jodie says, could I do it over again I would have different parents. Why start you life in a dysfunctional, alcholic family w/ toxic parents?

But that would involve magic since one can't get one's DNA from some other parents.

Of course I would change some decisions. Everyone, well, most people, could make better decisions if they knew what the future would bring. But I did the best I could based on what I knew at the time so...

In other words, it would be nice if things were different, but there is no realistic way they could be...is there?

15. mrpain

mrpain New Member

but we can sure learn from our mistakes by looking in the past and applying it to the future.....

Anne Theresa- I sure hate that that happened to you. There seems like there could be a way to combine the difference which would give you more pay..

[This Message was Edited on 07/10/2006]