IF YOU HAVE FM AND ITCHY SKIN RASHES OR SORES PLEASE READ

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suzetal, Dec 7, 2006.

1. suzetal

suzetal New Member

your skin burn or itch? Do you frequently get rashes that just won’t go away? According to Charles Lapp, M.D., who treats hundreds of people with fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS) at his center in Charlotte, NC, “FMS-related rashes occur in the majority of patients that I see.” Lapp, along with another experienced physician, Daniel Wallace, M.D., of UCLA, offer their clinical advice about the possible causes and potential treatments for your skin-related problems in the October 2006 issue of the Fibromyalgia Network Journal. But first, learn about the research behind these symptoms.

Research on FMS Skin Sensitivities
    What is it about your skin and its related tissues that make them so sensitive? Studies during the past 20 years may help explain why your skin is such a nagging issue.

Xavier Caro, M.D., of Northridge, CA, performed most of the early research in this field to show that there was a high concentration of immune-reactive proteins in the area just beneath the surface of the skin. He theorized that these proteins had escaped through larger-than-normal pores in the blood vessels supplying the skin, and they could be a source of immunological reactions because the body would view them as “foreign” substances in the skin tissues (i.e., it is not normal for these proteins to pass through the blood vessels).
    Although Caro’s findings point to an immunological disruption in the skin of patients with FMS, they are commonly seen in conditions where the microcirculation (the capillaries and small blood vessels) has undergone changes. In 2004, Haiko Sprott, M.D., of Switzerland, reported that the number of capillaries in the skin of FMS patients were significantly reduced and irregular in shape. The amount of blood flow to the peripheral tissues (such as the skin) was substantially reduced as well.
    A Swedish team found a fourfold increase in the number of mast cells in the skin of FMS patients. Mast cells, part of the immune system, are filled with many chemicals such as histamine and cytokines (both can cause painful irritation in the surrounding tissues when released from the mast cells). Neurological impulses can cause mast cells to dump their contents (degranulate), eliciting a neuro-immune response. The authors of this study point out that, perplexingly, the mast cells are degranulated in areas where the skin looks “normal.” In other words, the surface of the skin does not convey the immunological, neurological, and blood flow abnormalities that are occurring in the tissues below!
    Taken together, the above findings may help explain why you are often troubled with rashes that are difficult-to-treat. Even if the skin appears normal on the surface, there is a lot going on beneath the surface to fuel your skin irritations and itchy/burning sensations.

[This Message was Edited on 12/08/2006]
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

Considering the itch I've been dealing with since using bathroom chemicals. AND my ongoing eczema. Thank you.
  3. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

Thanks so much for this.

I deal with skin eruptions all the time. Rashes, itches and cysts.

Lovely to know we have another symptom for FM! LOL

Thanks,
    Susan07
  4. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

My doctor told me my skin rash is due to yeast. I suppose this could still be true and also be related to FM. The big question for me is how do I put a stop to this? My back and shoulders and upper arms are constantly in a state of itching and breaking out. Many times it is painful. I have been hoping the probiotics would help, but not yet.

Anyone have suggestions?

Linda
  5. Bambi

Bambi New Member

used to be only when some thing major
    happened, good or bad. I'd get an area on my arms only that would begin about the size of a 50 cent piece. It
    would have dozens of tiny blisters within the borders..and itched like mad.

Mostly in my sleep I'd scratch and that would cause them to spread to larger areas. They had just a clear fluid in them. I scar white so I have little white circles all over my upper and lower arms, mostly the left one, now.

Over the years it has gotten to where it doesn't take an emotional upheaval
    for them to errupt..and they now can also involve my face, usually in my eyebrows or hair line. Once after a death of a friend it happened on the side of my nostrel and actually left
    a crater, I was afraid that it was going to leave a hole and nearly did.

The doctor I had when it first started happening even had a student he was helping out, come in the examining room to look at an outbreak. He told me and her at that time that it was a 'viral condition that lays on the nerve until some emotional upset activates it"..sort of like Herpes on the lips. It made sense to me at the time.

Later when I fired him over some abusive talk he gave me and got my records he had put down "patient self mutilates and has scars on her arms". I was furious. He knew better and he prescribed a medication that I don't even remember the name of which would clear it up immediately. So he KNEW it wasn't something I just DID to myself!! I didn't mutilate anything, merely scratched and in my sleep at that!

So when I took my records to the new doctor I had written in red ink every single inaccuracy he had written..and there were several. He also had suddenly only had one thin, very thin, file on me after five years. The 'real' files were five and THICK!
    Sorry, that's not the subject but I still get angry when I think about it.

This information on the skin problems is interesting to me and I'm sure others and I thank you for posting it. Bambi
  6. Catseye

Catseye Member

I get nasty rashes from consuming dairy in any form. I never used to before I got ill. Now I can't touch any cheese, milk or yogurt. I tried a different whey protein lately to see if I could tolerate it and my face broke out after a few days with red, scaly, itchy patches. It's taking days for them to go away. You'd think I'd learn my lesson about milk proteins since this has happened before, but I guess not! I'm blaming it on brain fog. No more milk proteins for me.

happy xmas

karen
  7. woofmom

woofmom New Member

It's another form of MSG.