If you lost weight, how did you do it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by wyattsmom, Mar 17, 2006.

1. wyattsmom

wyattsmom New Member

Hi!
    Before my DX this year I was on prednisone for 3 months. I have about 30 pounds to lose. I am in PT right now, and exercise in a therapy pool. It hurts to walk. I used to lose weight with exercise, how did all of you who said you lost weight do it? I am anxious to see what you right, I am getting very depressed about this whole thing. Thank you so much for your time and suggestiosn!

Wyatt's mom
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

balloons you out. Everyone gains weight on it. It alters the metabloism which makes then losing weight harder.

I would suggest eating off a smaller plate. Eating five very small meals a day rather than two large and breakfast. Drink a glass of water prior to eating.

Those divided plates you can buyt for tots. Gte one of those, veggies and fruit in two of the sections, your protein in the third.

Try and eat really healthy foods as they fill you up more too, like raw foods.

Good Luck.

Love Anne C
  3. hob

hob New Member

Hi Wyatt's mom,

I have the same issue since being diagnosed I have gained weight. A friend of mine had been going to weightwatchers and being the nosiy person I am i asked her a lot of questions during her first few weeks and saw she had success on it. I decided to give it a try because it is not as restictive doing their flex points plan and this is coming from someone with NO willpower. It also helps me because I have a weigh in every week. Even on my bad days of fibro I don't struggle with the food. I have lost 13lbs in 3 months sure it is slower than if i were able to get on a treadmill and run but it is something and I know I am going to be able to keep it off much easier. I hope this helps.

hob
  4. zoemurr

zoemurr New Member

and the weight fell off (about 15 lls in 2 months.) It's tough (no sugar or wheat) but if you can make it through the first 2 weeks it gets much easier. I've been off it for about 8 months and can't believe the weight hasn't come back.
  5. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I have lost 10 pounds since January. I know it is pretty slow going, but all I have done is just modify a few things in my diet and it hasn't been painfull at all!

I decided that I really wasn't all that hungry for dinner, so instead of eating a regular size portion, I eat a small portion. I actually eat a bigger meal at lunch. I also started eating fruit for breakfast along with oatmeal. Before, I would eat oatmeal and then a muffin or 1/2 bagel. I am not hungry and the fruit is less calories.

I also like desserts, so I have been eating lite yogurt instead of a real dessert.

Those are the only things different I have been doing and the weight is slowly coming off. My suggestion is not to diet per say, just change a few things and see if you can lose the weight slowly.

Take care, Sally
  6. Bambi

Bambi New Member

It's nothing difficult, mostly weighing your food until you know what a decent sized portion should be. You do a mid afternoon snack like fruit and another before bed. There really isn't anything you can't have, you just can't have the sweets daily or in large portions. No sugar or low sugar desserts are better and should be just enough to satisfy the desire and not enough to gorge youself. Any exercise you can do helps, even if it's just slow walking. Less calories equal less weight. It's the old theory but works.
  7. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

ho high of dosage of prednisone were you on? it sounds like a lot...i have been on it 2x in my lifetime...and i will not do it again...have you researched the side effects? weight gain is one of them...

i put on weight in no time...you store fat underneath the muscle sometimes...like men with beer belly's...you store fat under your chin, neck...it caused me to have what people would say is a buffalo hump..it caused fat to store on my tailbone area...

it took me about two years for me to lose the weight ...thei was wheni was about 29 or 30 years old...it takes two full years for the prednisone to get out of your system...this is dangerous stuff...it makes your eyes bulge out, did mine, geographic rash,,,miserable, went from a sie 3 to like a size 10...i went from like 112 lbs. to 155 lbs...within months..no time flat...i could not sleep...i would sweat 24/7 coudln't sleep..

i told my husband at the tiem if ever i am in e.r. and they say i need to be on prednisone i will die before i will be on it again..

the real kicker is the numb n*** dr that said i needed to be on it dx me wrong and i should have never ever been on it to begin with...

so i had lipo suction...and it was interesting i was at three dr's and they all asked me if i was ever on prednisone...

so what i am saying...it didn't matter what i was doing...i had to wait for the medication to get out of my system...and i had to work at losing the weight..but i was doing the same weight lifting and cardio while i was sick as i did after i had spleen and gall bladder...i did lose 10lbs the first week after the surgery...but my spleen was saving all kind s of blood on there...

so my suggestion is to exercise alot more..maybe go to gnc or a vitamin store and get a fat burner...and watch what you eat...no white stuff in your mouth...then you may lose your weight then after wards you still may need some liposuction on certain areas of your body just because of the medication...

i will not take this crap again in my life time nor put my son on it...it thins out your veins...i had to wait 6 months after i was weaned off the medication before they would perform any surgery because of the high risk of hemoraging and it weakens you immune system....i know some people may need this med but i would try anything but that...

exercise, and weight training and watch you foods and increase your water intake to flush stuff out of your system...

good luck

j
  8. backporchrags

backporchrags New Member

luck with the South Beach diet. I lost 15 pounds in just over 2 weeks. I have not religously stuck to it and did gain some back.
    The info in the book is well worth reading. I am sticking to many of the suggestions in the book and am not gaining any longer. Cutting out refined sugars in my diet has eased my IBS and boosted my energy.
    The book is cheap and there are no special foods to buy. Even if you decide it is not the plan for you you will gain a better understanding of how your body processes food and craving triggers. Sometimes just putting a finger on the cause can help you overcome cravings.
    I had no idea that lack of sleep stresses the body out so much. The bodys response to stress is to eat. Hormones are released and you get hungry. Now I can diferentiate between really hungry and stress eating.
    Hugs,
    A