If you only had 6 weeks...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jmq, Mar 7, 2007.

1. jmq

jmq New Member

Dont worry...its not my life expectancy....just how long I have to stop working to get better. I finally caved in and took 6 wks as an unpaid medical leave of absence under FMLA. I told my boss that I was getting worse by the day and the only thing I can think of is to get out of the rat race and get control over my health. ( I am a paralegal in a huge law office )

So to all my new friends on this board, what suggestions can I get from you ....if you had 6 wks to try to turn things around....I know there is no cure and I will always have pain...but I am on the verge of a break down...what would you prioritize?

So far this is what I know I have to do:

-. sleep more and de-stress ( get the work out of my head )
    - eat healthier ( not sure what route to take but no more junk on the run food )
    - warm water exercises and go get some massages.
    - spend some quality time with my daughter and husband

I would welcome all suggestions on what I can do with this precious time to feel better. Maybe experiment with stronger meds??? I am currently on Cymbalta, Ambien, and Tramadol.

thanks,
    jmq
  2. jmq

jmq New Member

wakemeup...Your right that would help!

I suffer with:

Major Fatigue most days...some days coma like.
    Major brain fog. Earlier today could not put a sentence together at a meeting!
    Pain in legs and especially right hip ( also have bad scoliosis ) almost always
    Pain in hands and arms ( not constant )
    morning stiffness
    Occasional migraines
    Mood swings
    dizziness ( mostly just vertigo but today,while driving, had the street move under me feeling!) that was a first!!
    heart palpitations ( take toprol for mitral valve )
    tyhroid ( hypo? ) take synthroid
    weight gain
    get very hot all the time and break out in sweats ( have menapause and am on Hormone Replacement Therapy Patch )

That is all I can think of right now

jmq
  3. jmq

jmq New Member

Love the suggestions. I do not remember the last time I read something that was not work related...other than this board messages

Thank you!
  4. Shalala

Shalala New Member

Couldn't you have used Short Term Disability (STD)?

BE SELFISH ;-) and relax

5. jmq

jmq New Member

Thank you for the suggestions...I work for the State of Florida and they only offer Long Term Disabilty ( Capital Insurance-Alta Long Term Disability...but I think I have to be out 90 days before I can apply. I may end up using it..but I am trying so hard to get better and go back to work.

jmq
  6. jmq

jmq New Member

Sorry not to mention it before...that fog is a killer...I was dx with FM and Chronic Depression. \\jmq
  7. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

The best general-health thing I've done in the past several months is to buy a juicer. I've only been using it every few days, but I feel like the amount of healthy nutrients that I've gotten has skyrocketed as a result. Juicing every day might be even better.

This has been especially useful since I haven't felt like cooking. Making juice requires cutting up the vegetables and fruits, but comparatively speaking it's not much effort. Even my husband can do it!

I try to juice a wide variety of produce, fruits and vegetables. I use good organic produce.

There's a thread on juicing permanently at the top of the board with a lot of good advice. The juicer I bought is the one that Rich Carson recommends, and I have been extremely happy with it. I bought mine for about $200 on ebay.

I don't have fibro and so can't give you other recommendations. If you're working on nutrition in general though, this is a possibly useful thing to consider.

Best, Lisa

8. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

It pays to use common sense now and then lol I am glad you recognized the need to slow down for the sake of your health.

l. Try relaxing. It isn't that easy when you have been used to pushing yourself.

2. Try water areobics for gentle exercie.

3. Make sure that you eat right. Lots fo fresh fruits and veggies, along with protein.

4. Have fun with your family and reconnect. That will eliminate a LOT of stress.

5. Try massage therapy and try some acupuncture for your hip, or chiropractic treatments.

6. Take your meds as precribed.

7. Don't forget to have some "me" time as well, where you can relax just reading a book, have a manicure, pampering yourself.

8. Make time to visit with friends. Great stress reducer.

9. Perhaps you would want to try a Candida Diet, and protocol, and make sure that you do not have a yeast problem. I did it and the fog left. That was truly a blessing. Also, my energy has increased by leaps and bounds.

I hope you find the answer in your search for wellness. It is a very long journey.
  9. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

I'd get extra painkillers from the doc, perhaps a round of prednisone, and then I'd go on a "binge" of fun:

Shopping, lots of shoes.
    Manicure, pedicure
    Massage
    Haircut and blond highlights
    New bathingsuit
    Travel to a secluded beach with my sister and best friend and lie by the ocean drinking margaritas
    Listen to the ocean waves crashing to the shore
    Dig my toes into the sand
    Build a sandcastle and watch the waves knock it down
    Play endless games of cards
    Frequent all the best restaurants
    Laugh over old times
    Pajama parties at night
    MM
  10. jmq

jmq New Member

I am already laughing!!!! Havent done that in a looong time. Just knowing that these six weeks are coming up on March 19th have already made a difference in my stress. Now if I could just afford a ticket to Italy or some exotic get-a-way like some of you inspired me to do. Right now I am just excited with the thought of not being responsible for anything but me and my family.

I need to do some research on the diets and suppliments suggested. I will probably be back to ask more questions.

thank you again for being there...
    jmq