If you would just ...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Redwillow, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

If you would just __________ you would feel better!

How many times have we heard variations on this sentence?

If you would just loose weight you would feel better.
    get off the couch
    change your negative attitude
    look for a job

Sorry but I have heard this so many times that I am sick and tired of it.

hugs all
    thanks for letting me vent
    Marion (Redwillow)

[This Message was Edited on 09/12/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/12/2006]
  2. barbinindiana

barbinindiana New Member

Maybe we should stop worrying about what others think.

If they could only see theirselves though our eyes, they would know just how stupid THEY look.

They just don't have a clue.

Barb
  3. TerryS

TerryS Member

My mom says "You need to get out and walk up and down that hill!"

She's got to be kidding! Walking up the stairs leaves me out and breath and dizzy!

TerryS
  4. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Thanks everyone for replying.

I know what you mean Barb. Most days I think I have gotten my anger and worrying about how other people think.

But then I have a bad day and it hits me all over again.

Terrys it is hard for people to understand that somedays walking from the couch to the fridge is all the energy we have. Walking up and down a hill is impossible. (I love the photo of your corgi!)

hugs Marion (Redwillow)
  5. detsgirl

detsgirl New Member

Maybe if you just get that weight off.........

Like I don't know that I am a bit overweight. Do they think I look into a mirror and see a top model???? lol

Teresa
  6. TerryS

TerryS Member

Thanks for looking at my corgi baby!!! He's quite a joy for me.

My son left for college this year, and my husband pretty much is busy with a full-time corporate management job plus his ten rental homes...so, I rarely see him.

I got the corgi right after Christmas last year. I keep saying that I needed a male of some species that would love me and pay attention to me!!! (Sad but true!)

And you're absolutely right about walking from the couch to the fridge (or the bathroom!!!). My mom's a ball of energy, always has been. She's never had a serious illness...I've had multiple ones...she's very compassionate but she really doesn't understand.

TerryS

7. barbinindiana

barbinindiana New Member

You know, I was never over weight before CFS. It's CFS that made me gain weight and CFS that make it impossible to get off.

If I could get rid of CFS, I would be able to loss the weight. So, nobody who knows me better say anything to me about my weight.

I lived 49 years of my life skinny, and my family and friends know it.

If they don't want me to go off on them, they will NOT bring up the weight issue.

I'm mean huh?!?! LOL

Barb
  8. Manaleon

Manaleon New Member

I've heard that one and also if you would just rest more...

oh well.

the one good thing is the doctors are only a month away from some sort of final diagnosis. At least I have a good support team that know i'm not crazy.
  9. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Redwillow, I remember meeting you in chat a few times, and that was fun. I smiled when I read the title of this post.

For me, according to some, If I would just:
    eat red grapes
    take (insert suppliment/drug)
    exercise
    not lose hope (ha!!!!!)
    think positively
    grow up
    wear orange clothing
    ... then I'd be better by now.

What I REALLY think is that if I had just:
    not had a crummy genetic heritage
    not gotten parasites
    not had a lyme disease tick bite me
    not got infected with mono and other stuff
    not gotten metal poisoning from the town's water
    not had a life of constant stress
    invented the cure for this DD

... maybe then I wouldn't be sick!
    ((xx)) Shannon
  10. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Wear orange clothing! Shannon you are a hoot! Yes of course I remember you.

Prickles I tried yoga too. According to the instructor I "just wasn't getting it!" cause it was supposed to make me feel better not in more pain!

Det and Barb we definitely don't need someone to remind us that we need to loose weight! FM and all the meds I have tried is what made me gain it in the first place. I had a problem with my self esteem before and I certainly didn't need an extra 50 pounds to make me feel worse!

hugs to everyone
    Marion (Redwillow)
  11. azbubba

azbubba New Member

I get the same thing. I'm overweight, and I know I am.

Funny thing is...this (the medical rollercoaster I'm on) started when I said to myself "enough is enough, I'm going to exercise!" I bought myself a bike, and started riding. I used to ride 20 miles a day...so when I started and found that 2-3 miles left me wiped out, I started going for medical tests.

Even though I have the dx of FM, I also have a high white blood cell count. Not enough to indicate cancer, but high enough where I know my body is constantly fighting something off. And thanks to the painful bone marrow biopsy I got earlier this year, I know my marrow is healthy, so it's producing white cells for a reason. They just don't know what the reason is.

SO...when someone tells me I "just need to exercise", I tell them that EXERCISE IS WHAT GOT ME INTO THIS MESS!!!

ahem.

Sorry for yelling.

Bubba
  12. MsOnlyMe123

MsOnlyMe123 New Member

Stop Smoking! - this I agree with.

Stand up straight!

Join a gym and also do Yoga!

Take vitamins!

GET A JOB!!!

Eileen
  13. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

its my hubby or mother saying that I need to organize my day. Get up at this time, do this at this time, etc. If they only knew.

Actually, mom doesknow, she has FM herself!!
    We don't have all of the same syptoms, but she is starting to develop some of MY symptoms, and is realizng that sometimes you just need to sleep in!

Raz
    [This Message was Edited on 09/15/2006]
  14. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

LOVE THIS!!! I am new to this message board. This is my first post. I have had CFS for almost 5 years now and if I had a dollar for everytime I heard someone tell me what I should do to be cured I would be rich!!

-exercise
    -take every vitamin known to man
    -iron
    -yoga (which I also tried and it hurt me)
    -relax
    -just make up your mind to not be sick
    -pick yourself up and get better

-"if you would just do things you would see you would be fine" - my dads favorite comment. He thinks somehow I can't do things because I THINK I can't. I have tested my limits and I know how much activity and what things I can handle and what things I can't. But for some reason that isn't good enough...he still thinks I am just being paranoid and if I actually do more I will be perfectly fine. Yes apparently CFS is all in my head.

-move out of the basement - my boyfriend and I could only afford to rent out the basement of a house for years. Somehow (according to everyone) this is what is making me sick. They must have missed the part where I lived at my parents house for 6 months when I first got ill and it didn't cure me. Also another funny thing...we just moved into our own townhouse recently and guess what...I am not cured and in fact I have felt worse lately.

THANKS!! Love all the posts!!!
  15. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Thanks for giving me such good advice. I am going out to buy my new orange wardrobe (yuk, I look terrible in orange, lol)

Welcome PW7575. You have come to a great site. I hope you will keep on posting.

hugs Marion
  16. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Thanks for the welcome Redwillow! I will definitely keep posting. Everyone here seems great and it is REALLY helpful to see that there are others out there who know EXACTLY how I feel.

Ok that is not the icon I picked but oh well!! :)[This Message was Edited on 09/16/2006]
  17. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

This came from one of Dad's aquaintances. Luckilly, I never had to meet that person. :)

Haleycole, you mentioned something about a haircut on the next full moon? I just may try it! ;)

((hugs)) Shannon
  18. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Marion:

My favorite:

If you would just be less of a hypochondriac you would feel better.

nyrofan
  19. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Redwillow, you're a hoot and I'm so glad you are here.

Now. I like tangerine (to wear as a color) and wonder if it's close enough to orange so that I may be miraculously cured. Should I dye my bedsheets as well, seeing as how I "wear" them more often than I wear regular clothing?, lol.

I've heard "If you would just......

Eat cherries

Stop saying you are ill

Go out and get a job requiring heavy manual labor

Listen to me

Do what I tell you

Stop sleeping so much

Sleep more...oddly the person who said this seemed to forget he is also the one who said I was sleeping too much

Walk a lot

Ride your bike at least 10 miles a day

There's a cure for what you say you have, it "only" costs umpteen dollars a pill and look at all these testimonials here in this magazine I got in the mail

Thanks for the opportunity to jump in on this thread; it's fun and laawwwd knows we don't have enough of that!
    Lea.
  20. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Thanks Leaknits! for the great welcome! I have been called a lot of things but a hoot is one of the better ones! LOL

I was going to tell you I tried all the suggestions here over the weekend..... but

that would be a big lie. I sat at the computer and read posts and lived in my sweats just like every other day.

hugs Marion (Redwillow)