If Your Hair Is Dry...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You may want to try "It's a 10" leave-in conditioner. It's a keratin based spray. Celebs with dry, frizzy, unmanagable hair get keratin treatments which cost hundreds of dollars.

Lots of different conditions can cause dry hair, low thyroid among them. Since developing Sjogren's symptoms, my hair has become dry and crunchy. Even with a rinse-out conditioner, I could barely get a comb through my wet hair. My stylist used this product and the comb went through my hair like it was silk. It's not cheap; it sells for $20 for a small bottle but a little goes a long way. I can't use it every time I shampoo or my hair is too silky and soft to hold a style, even with a styling product. What I've been doing is spraying it into my hair and massaging it in and letting it dry. I sleep with it in and shampoo it the next day.

Love, Mikie
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Thanks, Mikie. My hair isn't dry, but long, and I can barely get a comb through it any more. In the past I've always had short hair and didn't need to use conditioner, however, it sure makes a difference now.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When I wore my hair longer, I had to condition. I'm 66 and color my hair blonde and I look like some kind of floozy unless I keep it short :)

Joy Behar, from "The View," sings the praises of keratin and her hair has never looked better. Without styling, her hair is a big red afro. Even with styling, before the keratin, if she got into a humid area, she would end up with the fro.

I'm glad that the expenssive treatments the celebs use often trickle down to us mere mortalls at an affordable price. My dermatologist told me after the topical chemo on my face to use Retinol creams and vitamin C treatments. Retinol is now everywhere OTC but vitamin C is usually only sold in spas or docs' offices. Fortunately, Adrienne Arpel sells a whole line of vitamin C products. A whole kit of her products on HSN cost less than one jar of cream at a spa. Her products are manufactured by a pharmaceutical co. and endorsed by docs.

Love, Mikie
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Mikie - My hair has been dry my whole life. It is thick and course and wavy (read "frizzy"). I use a leave-in conditioner, and then a light styling gel, and after it dries, then I add VO5 and also some kind of oily stuff, I forget the name, to tame it. It And then the next day I add more VO5, and also a pomade. Amazing what I can add to my hair! (sort of like making a stew) It looks best usually by the 3rd day.

Your product sounds interesting, I may give it a try when I get low on some of teh stuff I put in my hair.

Also, the beauty products sound interesting as well. I have read that vitamin C products are very good for the skin. Right now I'm using a cream with DMAE in it which is supposed to be the bees' knees, although have not noticed much difference.

Anyways, thanks for the tip on Keratin -

5. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Where can you get this from?

I'm in the UK and wonder whether they will send here...

The last few years (as I have gone grey though I still get my hair coloured) it is very course and dry and not smooth and no matter what I use or the quality of the products I can't get any condition or shine in it.

Do you know if it has a smell? (I have MCS) - if so, what of and how strong?

Thanks for this thread.

Love Bunchy x
  6. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I am going to make a note of this product; just may try it.

I have had somewhat dry hair for some time and I find the only thing that really helps is Infusium conditioner every time I shampoo (which is bout twice a week) followed up by a generous handful of Infusium Leave In Treatment. I used to wonder why I had dry hair and then I thought about it; besides the elements and pollution, I color it and get a blond foil every few months, then use a blow dryer, hot rollers to curl, and then a hair straightener to tame the curl. It's amazing I have anything left on my head!! I must say, the new hairdresser I have been using for the past six months has really put my hair back into healthy shape and she only uses very high end products. I guess when it comes to hair products, if you have troublesome or hard to manage hair, it's worth the investment.

[This Message was Edited on 04/11/2011]
  7. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

It is long, thin, fine, and absolutely straight. It has no body or resiliency and has always tended to tangle into tight knots. It is it’s natural (graying) color and is often blown partially dry in the winter. Perhaps I have be doing it more often and/or drying it more than usual this winter.

It has been getting into tangled mats that I have to work out with my fingers. It has also been getting static electricity worse than usual this winter. It is dull and has a sort of unkempt “straw stack” look to it.

I use Johnson & Johnson’s No More Tangles spay in detangler when it is staticy. That does calm the static and help get the existing tangles out, but it does not seem to reduce the tendency to tangle.

I mostly comb my hair with a wide-toothed comb. I do have a natural bristle brush that I use occasionally to keep it shiny. I realized a couple of weeks ago that I had not used it in I-can’t-remember-when. I have used it a few time recently, but it hasn’t helped much.

I just remembered that the Mane and Tail condition that I use as rinse out is meant to be left in on horses. The directions say to apply it liberally at the base of the mane and tail, work it through the hair to achieve a wet, glossy look, and wait for the skin and hair to absorb it.

I will be going to bed in a couple of hours and don’t want damp hair at that time, so I just worked a small amount through my hair. If it looks like a good idea, I will apply more earlier in the day tomorrow. I don’t recall exactly what I paid for it, but it is relatively inexpensive.
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We all have problem hair of one kind or another. I got the product at my neighborhood walk-in salon and, because I'm in a flare and totally exhausted, I can't remember the name of it. It's not an upscale place but the sell good products. I'm pretty sure it's available in a lot of places. I imagine if you Google it, you can find where it's sold.

The product does have a smell. It's not a flowery, perfumed smell but it does have a distinct odor which doesn't bother me.

Good luck to everyone in the pursuit of lovely hair.

Love, Mikie
  9. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I'll do a search for the product online.

Everyone I know with CFS/ME has hair problems of some kind - mostly dry and/or thinning.

I have had thinning of hair since my illness started and my hair is very dry the past few years.

My sister who has milder CFS also has experienced slight thinning of hair but hers is still in good condition unlike mine.

Hope the product continues to give you nice hair :)

Love Bunchy x
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I just love it when I find something which works for me. My stylist tells me it seems to work for everyone.

Love, Mikie
  11. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

and this stuff is awesome, according to a hair expert--my seventeen year old daughter!! I mentioned this stuff to her and she said, "OMG Mom, all my friends with dry or fuzzy hair use it!! It's awesome!" So there you go. straight from a bona-fide hair expert--lol!!!

12. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Yes, a lot of us will experience dry hair that even breaks a lot becuase of medications people use for FM or CFS, these medications and thin the hair, causing breakage, and cause dry hair.
    Actually, I'm so glad I read this post today because I was just looking at my hair and it's long and dry and this is exactly what I need. Thank you Mikie for the info. Hugs, Chelz. PS, where do you buy this spray?
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Teenagers everywhere concur with the experts on this product :) All kidding aside, girls are obsessed with their hair and we benefit from their wisdom.

I got this product at my walk-in salon but I'm sure it's sold in a lot of places. Do a web search to see where you can get it cheapest.

Love, Mikie
  14. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Man BDT I hear ya! You should see how much hair I lose when I wash it! I'm surprised I have any left on my head.

I have thin hair but tons of it (per my stylist) Of course, the ends are dry, but I'm not one that has a good hair day on day 2 because it starts to look oily and flat.

I do blow dry (and color...shhh!), but for body, I use velcro rollers. It makes a huge difference.

Mikie - you crack me up. blonde floozie. haha

Thanks for the info, I'm tired of spending money on expensive products which I've heard are NO better than a store brand. I'll have to look for your recommendation!

Yep (thyroid already being treated re:hair loss)

15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Some of the cheaper products work as well as the professional grade; you just have to try different things. I'll use Suave shampoo but use this new product because it's the only one I've seen OTC with karatin. I only use Bed Head styling product because it is just right for my fine, naturally curly hair.

With this Sjogren's, my skin is also very, very dry. Because I'm not supposed to go out in the sun (it can increase autoantibodies) I'm lily white. I use the self-tanning lotion because if I don't, I glow in the dark :)

Love, Mikie
  16. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I googled the product and have found a salon in my area that carries this conditioner along with a mask product for the hair.

I live in Ohio and the chain salon called "Best Cuts" has this product. Mikie is right, it is not cheap. Because I am desperate to help my dried out hair I did purchase the conditioner and it came with a free hair mask.

The mask worked great, left my hair shiny, moist and manageable. The only drawback in the scent. I was afraid the scent would be too much for me (I'm scent sensitive) and with the mask it is. The spray on conditioner is a little better, but because of the smell, I would only use it about 3 times a week. It does work, thank you Mikie :) Hugs, Chelz.
  17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I don't care for the smell either but it doesn't overwhelm me. This product is so effective that I don't use it every time I shampoo. I use it like a special conditioner used once in a while. It all depends on how my hair is doing. My Sjogren's symptoms flare and that's when my hair gets that crunchy texture. For me, a little goes a long way. Glad it's working for you.

Love, Mikie
  18. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

I wish that I'd known about that product during my "recent" youth! Before I went old and gray and chopped the whole mess away.

I spent most of my life wrangling with fine curly, fuzzy hair and hated it except for a brief few years in the 70's (sometimes 80's) when it was fashionable to look like a clown. (hehe).

I've read about the full keratin treatments that leave one with silky, shiny STRAIGHT hair, but this is the first time I've heard about this conditioner. My curly-haired daughter has had the full treatment and had unbelievably beautiful results, but it's very expensive and maybe this treatment will be a good (and cheaper) alternative for her.

Like BDTMU516 and Janalynn, I've often been puzzled over a huge hair-SHEDDING situation....weird, because I still have LOTS of hair (though short). This has been going on since my 20's, in fact I cut it shorter and shorter over the years because I felt like I go about in a cloud of shedding hairs! I know when I try to count shedding hairs it goes WAY over the 100 or so that is said to be normal. I've finally figured out that everyone's hair has a natural length it will reach before naturally falling out and being replaced, and mine is evidently a very short cycle......so if I tried to grow it out, it would only get about shoulder length (and hard to measure since so curly). So I loose lots of hair every day, but evidently am growing in the replacement hairs also.

By the way, my hair is not really gray, but shiny silver and it is cut too short to curl and for the first time in my life, I LOVE MY HAIR! I feel like it's a reward for suffering with charcoal brown clown hair for the early years!
  19. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's funny that we sometimes struggle with our hair our whole lives only to love it au naturel. I don't mind my hair's being curly because I can just let it dry and curl up on its own. Everyone says they like it best that way. It's when the texture gets crunchy that I know it isn't healthy. I still color my hair a light blond because I have so much gray in my mousy brown hair that it is most unattractive unless it's colored. If, and when, my hair gets to a beautiful snowy white, like my Mom's, I will likely stop coloring it.

When great new treatments come out for skin and hair, it usually isn't long before we can find less expensive alternatives. I LOOOOOOVE a bargain. Well, this spray isn't exactly cheap but relative to the complete salon treatment, it's a real bargain.

Love, Mikie