If You're Shopping for a Medicare Drug Plan

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rockyjs, Nov 14, 2005.

1. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I finally found a site that compares several major companies by state at www.medicare-partd.com. Click on Plan Comparison by State. It's not a complete list for each state but is a good place to start.

I don't take many meds and I think I'm going with Humana's program that is about $15 a month. I haven't checked the other companies' websites yet, but on Humana you can enter the drugs that you take with how many times per day and it will calculate the out-of-pocket cost which includes the deductible, co-pay and premium costs. It's a great tool for making decisions about which plan would save you the most money. If you go with the mail order option you save more.

This is a lot of stuff to wade through...I have Anthem Blue Cross for my supplemental insurance, but their comparable plan is $15 a month higher than Humana. Hopefully my costs won't go high enough to hit the "gap" where you pay 100% for a certain portion, but it's nice to know if I do ever need the expensive stuff it won't bankrupt me! Sure wish this had been available when my dad had Parkinson's.

Jan
  2. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I went to the sight.Great info on a lot of things I did not know.Found one that only cost $7.32

Again thank you for taking the time to post this.

Sue
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

If you go to the official Medicare website (www.Medicare.gov), you can click on "compare Medicare prescription drug plans" and a few other links, it will give you more information on all the various plans than the medicare-partd.com website

It lets you compare formularies, among other things.

There's so much information to wade through, it is sort of overwhelming, and the cheapest plan is not necessarily the best, because you have to check the formulary and see if the drugs you need are covered, and if they are covered, whether they are tier 1, 2 or 3, the co-payments differ for all of those. I've been working on this for my parents and still haven't been able to figure out the best plan. We get a lot of their drugs from Canada, which is cheaper anyways. Happy hunting --

Mary
  4. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I couldn't get through to the page where you compare plans on the Medicare website. I guess so many people are looking for information it's overloading the servers.

I was able to look up medications under the formularies section.

Jan
  5. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I checked their website and found four pharmacies near me that accept them and I am registered at all four (one is a compounding pharmacy). So hopefully I won't have any trouble. They include Target, Albertson's and Long's Drug.

Hope they aren't terrible :) Since I'm only on one prescription (thyroid) maybe I won't have any trouble. I just want to have the coverage in case anything happens and I need the really expensive meds.

I have two genetic conditions that can cost a fortune if you start having complications. So far I've been able to control them with diet and homeopathics, but it's nice to know there's something to fall back on if I have to have it.

Jan
  6. lilione

lilione New Member

Here in IL all the major pharmacies are accepting Humana.
    I know they said that every case will be different and not all states offer the same thing. Lili
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

good info Jan, I'mm looking for my elderly inlaws in particular as well as DH.

Thanks,
    Victoria