IGeneX results and question about antibiotic treatment

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by kellyjk4, Mar 30, 2009.

1. kellyjk4

kellyjk4 New Member

here are my IGeneX Western Blot test results:

IGeneX IgM result: Positive
    CDC/NYS: Positive

18 kDa: +
    23-24 kDa: ++
    31 kDa: +++
    34 kDa: IND
    39 kDa: +
    41 kDa: +++
    58 kDa: +
    66kDa: +
    83-93 kDa: ++

IGeneX IGG result: Negative
    CDC/NYS result: Negative

I saw my PCP today and talked to her about this test. She thinks that, since I took antibiotics for about two months, I should be okay now. She ordered another test through Quest. I'm thinking it's time to find an LLMD in this area.

She also ordered an MRI of my brain and spine to check for MS. If this comes back negative, she wants to do a spinal tap. She said the tap would be best to do when the symptoms are present. Doesn't the same hold true for the Lyme testing? Doesn't Lyme "come and go" symptom-wise?

Also, how long do most people have to be on antibiotics before they see some improvement? When I took them before, I had to stop because I felt so sick that I couldn't function at all. Has that happened to anyone else?

I wish now that I had pursued treatment back when I first had the positive result. So many doctors acted like it was no big deal, though, that I really didn't worry about it. Now I wish I had!

-Kelly
  2. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi Kelly,

Wow, that is a very positive Igenex western blot!

Bands 18, 23-25, 31, 34, 39, and 83-93 are species specific to Borrelia burgdorferi, to there is no question you have lyme.

2 months of antibiotics is not nearly enough to treat lyme that has disseminated throughout the body.

You are absolutely right that you need to RUN, not walk, to a good LLMD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

99% of Dr's do not understand lyme and your Dr is one of them.

Also, a test through Quest will not be accurate at all. I will also give you a link showing how the clinical picture of lyme and MS can be identical....same white lesions in the brain, etc. Therefore, as soon as Dr's see those findings, they give patients an MS diagnosis bcause they do not understand lyme at all.

scroll to frames 48-50 of this presentation........good lyme vs MS info.....

http://www.lymeinducedautism.com/images/Lymewhat_is_it_part_3,_LIA.pdf

It is long, but when you get time, read through the entire thing...it's very informative.

If I were you I would not have a spinal tap. You have lyme. Spinal taps are unneccessary and have risks. Find a good LLMD instead. Let the LLMD decide what you need, since they are the expert.

Go to lymenet.org....click on flash discussion....click on the "Seeking a Doctor" board....sign up for free like you did here....then post a question like "Need a LLMD in Maryland" (you can include the closest larger city). You will receive a private message back with name of LLMD's in your state.

Some LLMD's have long waits to get an appt, so don't delay.

lymenet.org also has a very active Medical Questions board with tons of very helpful and knowledgable people. You can also post your questions there and you will get lots of answers fast.

Are you having any symptoms now? Lyme treatment is symptom based...usually continues for about 2 months after all symptoms have been eliminated. How long do you think you have had lyme?

You need to be evaluated for coinfections which are very common. Most people don't have just lyme...they might have mycoplasma, babesia, bartonella, ehrlichia, etc that the same tick can carry.

Lyme symptoms can wax and wane, but are usually there to some degree.

Go to the symptom list in the back of this booklet and check off any that you have.....it will help you get a better picture of all your symptoms.....

http://www.lymepa.org/Basics2007v1.2Rev.pdf

As far as how long people have to be on antibiotics before they see improvement......there is no rule, but it is usually months.

It depends on how long you have had it, the path the bacteria took inside your body, which organs and tissues are affected and how bad, which coinfections you have, and other things.

You don't want any Dr to give you steroids or immune supressing drugs, though. They would allow the bacteria to flourish and you would get worse.

Some people get more sick than others when on antibiotics. You may have been having a herx reaction, as some bacteria died off. It usually passes. A good LLMD will know how to manage your case and get you through it.

Hope you find a good LLMD quick before your Dr creates more problems for you.

Read as much as you can and post questions here and on lymenet.org.

Good luck, and keep in touch.