Igenex Results -- help deciphering?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Scapper, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Scapper

Scapper New Member

My G.P. had to call Igenex to help her decipher results.....they told her, bottom line: I was negative for Lyme.

They said if "two or more of the double starred bands" are positive, I have Lyme.

IGM Results: Igenex Negative
    18 kDa -
    **23-25 -
    28 -
    30 -
    **31 -
    **34 -
    **39 IND
    **41 IND
    45 -
    58 -
    66 +
    **83-93 IND

IGG Results:
    18 -
    **23-25 -
    28 -
    30 -
    **31 -
    **34 -
    **39 -
    **41 ++
    45 -
    58 -
    66 -
    **83-93 -

As far as I can see, my co-infections also came back negative.

Is that one band of any significance??????

THANKS!

Scapper

2. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi,

First, here are 2 links that contain important info about western blot band results:

page 7 of the first link starting with "western blots....":

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

and

http://www.drcharlescrist.com/testing.htm

Look at both of them and you will notice that Dr B says that bands 18, 23-25, 31, 34, 37, 39, 83, 93 are species specific to lyme. Dr B says that you should see band 41 and one species specific band.

and Dr C says that bands 18, 23-25, 28, 30, 31, 34, 39, 58, 66 and 93 are significant.

You have IgM results showing IND on bands 39, 41, 83-93 and a positive result on band 66......all considered significant by one or both LLMD's in those links.

You have IgG results showing ++ on band 41.

Because chronic lyme is an active infection, most people who have a response on the western blot, have a IgM response.

Now, it is important to note that many, many, people who have lyme only ever had "officially CDC negative" results like you do.

LLMD's however, do not rely on that. They know that the individual band results are so important....along with your medical history, symptoms, and exam.

My LLMD says that an IND result is like a fingerprint. He says that it is a light fingerprint, but it is still the same fingerprint. To him, that means that an IND result on a lyme specific band is significant.

If I were you, I would do my best to see a good LLMD for a complete evaluation.

Are you on lymenet.org's Medical Questions board? It is very helpful.

3. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

IND are a *fingerprint* and considered to be a weak ++. You know, alot depends on how sick you are at the time, how many spirochettes are in to blood vs. in the joints, tendons, etc. It is not a strictly blood-born bacteria.

A good thing to remember is that the way the *bands* are done- they are actually DNA markers of the Lyme spirochette. Unless you have syphillis or advanced gum disease, you could not test ++ on ANY of them without having run across it at some point.

Hope this helps!
  4. Scapper

Scapper New Member

I am soooooooooooo upset, I don't even know how to proceed.....or even want to!

I seriously do not have it "in me" to embark on educating myself on another complicated illness and putting myself in the hands of an LLMD, who takes no insurance and charges astronomical prices with zero guarantee I'm not shooting in the dark.....it all sounds so "vague."

I've been down SO many roads over the last 16 1/2 years with a ton of suffering and no improvement on the other end......just poorer.

I just don't have any more "fight" left in me.

I'm sorry if I sound negative, I'm so beaten down by this illness at this stage of my life.

Maybe I need time for this to sink in.

Thank you both for your help.

scapper
  5. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi,

Igenex will cover the cost of testing if you have Medicare.

Otherwise you pay up front. Igenex will send you a receipt that you can send in to insurance to see if they will pay. They did not pay for my testing.

A western blot for lyme IgG and IgM was $200 the last time I checked.

www.igenex.com
  6. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi,

Igenex will cover the cost of testing if you have Medicare.

Otherwise you pay up front. Igenex will send you a receipt that you can send in to insurance to see if they will pay. They did not pay for my testing.

A western blot for lyme IgG and IgM was $200 the last time I checked.

www.igenex.com