IGenex W Blot Results - also note to Nanie

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by shell, Mar 27, 2009.

1. shell

shell New Member

Hello everybody... I am a longtime CFS board member but recently been tested for Lyme.

IGM igenex pos cdc neg
    18 +
    31 ++
    39 IND
    41 ++
    58 +

IGG both neg
    23-25 IND
    30 +
    31 IND
    34 IND
    39 IND
    41 ++

My doc retests everybody (from same original labwork) so waiting for my second result. I am very interested in the previous CFS'ers and noticing real similar patterns in results they have posted on here (Nanie noticed my test was very similar to yours). Since we have so many virus pathogens I wonder how many cross-reactions we are getting. They have the ones that are supposed to be b. specific but I guess I still have doubts in my mind...

I also had a semi low cd57 of 58. So it seems things are pointing towards lyme.

How sure did everyone feel that they had lyme? I guess I have been in the CFS mode so long, it is hard to shift my head to think that I really could have this in addition to or instead of. Seems like there are other posters on here a bit unsure also.

Best bet is to start the antibiotics and see if I get better?

Thanks for your support!
    Michelle
  2. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi,

Thank you for posting your results and leaving a message for me.

Before I address your results, remember that CFS (or FMS) is a syndrome.....a set of symptoms that Dr's have given a name because they didn't know what else it was.

Those same Dr's give you that diagnosis and then NEVER care to look for a CAUSE of your syndrome of symptoms.

My LLMD told me that he would consider me to have lyme induced FMS and CFS.....sets of symptoms caused by lyme disease.

Unfortunately, so many of us were stuck for soooooo many years just doing research on CFS or FMS when we probably should have been researching our sets of symptoms to find possible causes.

Up until Oct 2008, I only investigated viruses because I felt sure that it all started with a viral illness. Now I know that that off-season flu-like illness was bacterial.

Your Igenex western blot results:

You have many species specific IND and postive bands. My LLMD says that IND results on species specific bands are like fingerprints....it doesn't matter how dark the fingerprint is, it's still the same fingerprint.

So, the fact that you have IND and positives on bands 18, 23-25, 31, 34, and 39 is very indicative of lyme.

As you know, Lyme is a clinical diagnosis...so couple this with your history and symptoms and it is pretty much a slam dunk.

I knew I had lyme when I considered my history, all my symptoms and then saw some species specific bands on my WB.

Bands 30-31 can sometimes cross react with viruses. I had an epitope confirmation test done which was positive. I really did not need it. My LLMD had enough evidence.

I read that you only need the confirmation test done if 30 or 31 is your only species specific IND or positive band.

You need a good LLMD. An IDSA Dr or PCP will not provide the proper combination, long term treatment.

It takes many months for most people to start seeing improvement. It depends how severe your symptoms are, how long you've had it, and any coinfections,e
    tc.

You will also need to be evaluated for coinfections which are common..like babesia, bartonella, ehrlichia, etc. Only a good LLMD can sort this all out.

Go to lymenet.org....click on flash discussion....click on "Seeking a Doctor"...sign up your info for free and then post a question on the seeking a Dr board like....."Need an LLMD in Missouri" or whatever state you are in.

Also go to the medical questions board there...it's very active. Start asking questions and reading as much info as you can from ilads.org and others.

Post more here for me if you want.

It is important to note that lyme and coinfections can be transmitted from mother to fetus, through breastfeeding, sexually transmitted, and through blood transfusions(babesia for sure through blood transfusion).

I am glad you are finally figuring out the cause of your symptoms. I truly believe that many people with CFS or FMS have a borrelia burgdorferi infection and/or tick borne coinfections.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 03/27/2009]
  3. shell

shell New Member

Good 2 hear from you, glad you are out here on the boards 2day!

That last part about transmitting to fetus is scary as my daughter has had numerous immune problems since she was born. She even got shingles from the chic pox vaccine!

Well, I am thinking I will get that 30-31 test, thanks for letting me know about it. I think I might actually believe it then! Just tough when you read about how the test is done, and you know you have been tested pos. for c. pnuemonia and all the others already.

Have a gr8 wkend!
  4. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi,

You may want to get your daughter tested through Igenex also. Her Dr would probably never recognize congenital lyme.

There are a number of people on lymenet.org who have kids with lyme and coinfections, so they are good resources if you need them.

You can have many different infections at the same time, so you may need various treatments.

When I had the 30-31 confirmation test done, they did it with the same blood from my western blot, since it was ordered together.

Glad I could help. Hope you also have a great weekend!
  5. munch1958

munch1958 Member

Nanie is right! Most of us get stuck with CFS and FM because we are so happy to have gotten those diagnoses. Then we cling to them as if that's all it could possibly be. There currently is no cure for CFS and FM. It's very possible to recover your health and live a normal life with Lyme disease.

I think you've finally gotten to the root cause of your illness. Abx treatment is not an overnight fix. It took about 2.25 years to get rid of my fibro pain. One day I woke up and I didn't hurt all over for a change.

Lyme really screws up your hormones. Be sure to get those tested too if your LLMD does not work with Bio-identical hormones. Some of us have screwed up HPA axis and thyroid issues. The symptoms of hormone deficiencies aare the same as TBIs so be sure to get tested.

Also, be sure to get tested and/or treated for the standard co-infections of Babesia, Bartonella and Ehrlichia. We have not even begun to identify all of the things ticks transmit to humans. Every LLMD has an order in which they like to go about treating. It's mostly based on symptoms becuase tests are crummy.

I think of it this way... say the tick is in the woods on a mouse or a shrew. Then jumps over to a skunk, a squirrel, a rabbit, a possum, a raccoon, etc. We could be harboring just about anything kind of bug from other animals. If they don't have a test for it they won't know it's there.

B-12 shots have eliminated my fatigue 100%. I do those myself at home. Creepy the first time but easy-peasy after that.

Good luck!