IgM and IgG

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Smurfette17, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Smurfette17

Smurfette17 New Member

Maybe the Lerner patients can answer this... I am wondering why it is that when Dr. Lerner tests for HHV-6 and CMV, he runs IgM AND IgG tests; but when he tests EBV, he tests only IgM and not IgG (at least this is true for me).

My HHV-6 is positive for IgG antibodies, but initially (including when I first had mono a year ago), my EBV tested positive on IgM. But for the last 4 months, my EBV has been negative on IgM. But, in Montoya's article they tested patients for EBV IgG antibodies-- why does Lerner not do that?
  2. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

hi smurf! i think dr. lerner feels that elevated EBV IgM antibodies to the EA (early antigen) is indicative of active, abortive infection and he does not have to test IgG? his test for the EBV EA antibody appears to be more sensitive than other labs.

i don't think the EA tests for the other 2 viruses are available...

just guessing!

sue:)
  3. bakeman

bakeman New Member

i don't understand why igg is important. if that is an indication of past infection why does it matter? won't everyone test posotive for igg in most cases?

bake
  4. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

because when the infections are old, IgM is rarely positive. elevated IgG and other symptoms can indicate active, chronic, subacute infection. in fact, some studies show that there can be active infection in tissue even in absence of any elevation of antibodies.

sue:)
  5. Smurfette17

Smurfette17 New Member

I get why they test for IgG. What I don't get is why not test the IgG for EBV as well?

In my one and only positive EBV test (with Lerner), my IgM was positive at 26 and my EA was negative. Is that even possible? And back when I had mono, my IgM was positive (no number given) but nothing else was tested. To this day, I don't know if my mono was a primary or a re-activated infection, but I suppose it doesn't matter.
  6. bakeman

bakeman New Member

ok, thanks for the explanation.

bake
  7. ChuckNBerkeley

ChuckNBerkeley New Member

I started researching this a year or so ago. All very confusing. Have a computer full of pdfs and lots of URLs. But I am and old and tired (how much of the "tired" is from "old" and how much is from 18 years of inactivity [I WAS running 26, 50 and 100 mile trail races.] caused by CFS I can not say.) so this link provides a very useful overview:

http://www.palpath.com/MedicalTestPages/ebv.htm"

[This Message was Edited on 03/06/2009]
  8. consuegra

consuegra New Member

Hi,

This is a wonderfully confusing subject. Lerner has his reasons for testing for IgM. He does not publish his reasoning, at least not that I have found. He uses an IgM and EA test made by Diasorin. Various labs use, including ARUP, use the Diasorin kit. Lerner told me in London last spring that EBV IgG was "useless". (It was a brief conversation.) Nevertheless others seem to have established a correspondence between high IgG and "viral problems". IgG is supposed to go down over time, like in years. If it stays high, it is seen as being "suspicious". That is my understanding of this confusing issue, which remains ambiguous and resists clarification.

Chris
  9. emmally

emmally New Member

The body produces immunoglobulin M (IgM) antibodies first, and immunoglobuin G (IgG) antibodies later. Over time, IgM antibodies tend to stop being produced entirely. Therefore, a positive test for IgM antibody to any particular infection may be positive before a IgG antibody will be.

People with longstanding infections continue to produce IgM.
  10. consuegra

consuegra New Member

Thanks for the clarity with Dr. Lerner and EBV IgM. My daughter has done this Diasorin test a number of times and has never had an elevated IgM. However her IgG have been elevated for a good number of years. Dr. Levine will look at these results and put her finger on the elevated EBV IgG as being suspicious. So would Dr. Montoya and others. Do you have a comment on this?

Chris