I'm adding Topamax to Gabapentin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by satchya, May 5, 2009.

1. satchya

satchya New Member

I had an appointment with my fantastic primary care doctor yesterday. She is always running an hour or more behind but she will sit and talk to you for as long as you want her to about anything you have concerns about, so she's absolutely worth the wait. I have had a 9:00 appointment before and not gotten out until after 1:00.

Anyway, I mentioned to her that I have had more relief from the gabapentin than I've ever had from opiate type medication (which she said means my pain is coming from my nerves being pushed on by spasmed muscles, rather than coming from my bones and joints). Anyway, I've been taking gabapentin for three months now and have gained 10 pounds in spite of excercising A LOT.

She said that she didn't want to take me off the gabapentin since it is helping me, but she suggested we add topamax (which is another anticonvulsant, like gabapentin) on top of the gabapentin). I wasn't having complete relief anyway, so instead of upping the gabapentin, adding the topamax should help me have more relief, and either mitigate the weight gain or even give me some weight loss.

I have to admit I've actually "lost" three pounds since yesterday already (but that's because I was experiencing some pretty major gastrointestinal distress --blush).

My husband started taking topamax last year for bipolar disorder and lost forty pounds in a matter of months and has kept it off pretty easily, so I'm very hopeful.
  2. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Is that Lyrica?? or Neurotin?? I take Lyrica and have been suffering with weight gain, adding Topamax sounds like a possibility that I should discuss with my doctor.

He wants me to start LDN therapy, as do I.....can Topamax be taken with LDN??

Anyone know?

Thanks for the info:)

Ok...looked it up, Neurotin is the answer to question #1[This Message was Edited on 05/06/2009]

FOYBOYFOY New Member

MY WIFE TAKES TOPAMAX aka dopamax. for her migrains and she has a hard time putting a sentence together....... makes ya doppy good luck
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I've been on topamax for about a year and a half. Was put on since I couldn't take Lyrica or Neurontin (gaba). Many migraine patients take and is also in the same "family" as the two above mentioned meds. It helps my upper arm aches in the beginning, did nothing for my legs.

The first month I lost three lbs. I was forgetting words left and right. It was weird. I could not remember simple nouns. "butter"???????

Since then, in spite of increasing my dose, I've gained 10+ lbs and am having horrendous headaches -the worst I've ever had. Lucky me -

For many it works for very well. I hope it works great for you!