I'm always FREEZING !!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shan1078, Feb 21, 2006.

1. shan1078

shan1078 New Member

I think this may classify as a "weird symptom", but I'm always FROZEN. Not just cold, but covered in head to toe goosebumps. It's crazy. My husband can't get over it. It's one thing for my hands and feet to be icy (my husband says I have toecicles!) but now, no matter how warm it may be, inside or out, I'm always cold. This is very frustrating. I'm wearing 2 shirts as we speak. And have a thermostat sat at 74 degrees.

Am I the only one with this? And anyone else get these Goosebumps, constantly. And to make it worse, every time I get these goosebumps, I know I'm probally gonna have to shave my legs the next day. If anyone knows anything, please respond.
  2. shan1078

shan1078 New Member

You know, my Doctor did a test, but apparently it came back normal. I personally didn't get to see the results. But, I think it could have something to do with that. Because my hair is still thinning.

3. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

is one symptom of low thyroid as is the feeling of cold.

And having normal results doesn't mean you still don't have a thyroid issue. All my results were normal also but I started to feel better, and warm up, once I started on some thyroid hormone.
  4. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

and couldn't get my hands and feet warm, they were so cold they'd burn.

I'm treating my adrenals naturally w/ adrenal, thyroid and liver glandulars. Like eating organ meats, but in pill form.

You may still have subclinical hypothyroid, it's very common for us, so you aren't an oddball at all. the regular labs tests aren't very accurate for this. But low adrenals can cause low body temperature and permachill too. both can be treated naturally though, you don't have to go the med or artificial hormone route.

Go to this link http://www.drrind.com/scorecardmatrix.asp , it's an info site and this page is an exhaustive chart of low adrenal, low thyroid and a mix of both symptoms. You'll see yourself there for sure and you can print it and bring to your doc and rub his nose in it. There's alot of symptoms you wouldn't think are related so you wouldn't be telling him, and lots of questions he could be asking, but obviously isn't listed there.

5. shan1078

shan1078 New Member

I'm definately going to go to that link. Initially, I thought I had a low thyroid, but was told I had FM instead.

I think I will try some supplements. I don't think it could hurt to much. I'm going to a new Rheumy next week and I'm going to ask him what he thinks about this thyroid issue. Thanks
  6. BootsyClay

BootsyClay New Member

I too was freezing. At 82 temp I hunted a sweater.In at Primary Care dr. one dy. andhe diabnosed Reynaud's. He & Rheumatologist agreed I should try low dose Procardia. It seemed to help. Now tho I have lung infec and from that I now am not freezing. I do have cold feet tho most of time. One thing that helps...when you are cold throw a blanket in the dryer for a bit and get it warm and wrap up in it. Helps so much. I have told this to others and they agree it is great help. Hang in there.
  7. sleepless_in_tx

sleepless_in_tx New Member

I've had my thyroid tested four times already and it always comes back normal, but I have many symptoms of hypothyroidism...feeling cold, weight gain, night sweats, ect. I've read before that the testing isn't always accurate, but the doctors never seem to acknowledge that possibility. So what are you supposed to do? It's so frustrating.
  8. PVLady

PVLady New Member

It could be thyroid problem. Have you had that checked lately?
  9. sueliza

sueliza New Member

Ask your dr what the actual levels on your thyroid test were.

My dr tested my throid (tsh) three times and told me it was normal every time. I finally asked for the actual numbers.

It had ranged from 2.5 - 3.4, which according to my dr was normal.

I went to an endo and she said she would have treated me even without the one tsh in the 3's based on my symptoms.

I was freezing all the time and I used to be the hottest person in the room! Also, my hair was shedding heavily.

She put me on synthroid first and now I am on armour. My hair has stopped falling out and I am not absolutely exhausted at 3pm like I used to be. I still freeze all the time, but maybe that is just the fibro.

I would Ask your dr exactly what your results were. There are some good dr's out there who believe our tsh should stay around 1 to feel good.

Good luck
  10. redtex

redtex New Member

google wilsons syndrome. he says that the standard tyroid tests do not show if the body is actually using the tyroid hormone. dr lowe also talks about this. lots of ideas on these two web sites. hope you get better.
  11. CinCA

CinCA New Member

Not to the point of goosebumps, but I can definitely relate to the toecicle thing (hubby shies away at night when I try to snuggle my toes under his). My hands are very cold, too.

I know my adrenals have been shot, and my thyroid could be off, although I've had it tested every way possible and it's always come out normal. Honestly, since starting various adrenal therapies, detox stuff for my CFS, I've "thawed" a little. Another huge help for me is keeping my feet warm. We came across an old gift certificate, and hubby got me a new pair of UGG boots for my BD last month (I had completely worn through my old pair I got 10 years ago). I live in them and have them on as I type this. When my feet are warm (which really is only in those UGGies), the rest of me is very comfy.

Wish I had better answers for you, but at least I can also relate. Good luck getting warm, and at least spring is coming soon!

C.
  12. SherylD

SherylD Guest

Thanks for the website..Very interresting...

I feel right into the adrenal one...I might take that with me to the dr. the next time..

13. FMhurts

FMhurts New Member

I Live in Florida too, and even during the summer I have cold feet and hands. My feet are cold with socks and shoes on,My husband wants the air on but I freeze when he turns it on.
    I bundle up with two comforters at night, just so he can have the air on.
    Its uncomfortable being cold. I've been tested for thyroid and several other things but everything is always in normal levels .
    my body temp does show me at 96.8 all the time tho.
    One Dt. told me that FM can do this.
    So I go on living in my big fluffy robe and socks and house slippers and pulling around my blanket from room to room. while everyone else says theyre sweating.
    just another wonderful symptom
  14. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I have raynaud.Look it up and it will explain it better than I can but don't let it scare you most cases are not serious.But if your fingers and toes feel like they are freezing it could be raynuads.The blood circulation gets constricted and that causes you fingers,toes,nose,ears and body to be cold.

Have you ever noticed if your fingers turn white?That is a symptoms.

Let you your Reheumy. know.There is medication to take for it.

Keep those fingers and toes warm.

Sheila
  15. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

hi all,

just wanted to share what i've learned about how our thyroid dysfunction might be occurring. the way the ffc describes this phenomenon (researchers have made similar discoveries) is "thyroid resistance." most standard blood work will show normal levels of thyroid hormone in the blood but our bodies, for whatever reason, resist the hormone and it doesn't make it into our cells and muscles where it needs to go. most doctors reject this theory of thyroid resistance which is why they won't treat low thyroid even when symptoms suggest it. the ffc includes a "reverse t3" test in its bloodwork panel as this gauges the level of inactive hormone in the blood. if the ratio of active (t3) to inactive (reverse t3) hormone is off, this suggests resistance and supplementing with hormones is recommended to saturate the cells and muscles into submission.

eddie
  16. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

but what are the side effects of taking the hormones??? If I started something like that, will it lower my sex drive, make me gain weight, make me moody..... ??????

Thanks in advance for answers!

Hugs!
    Starr
  17. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Low body temp. often isn't thyroid either, it's at least as often the adrenals. It was in my case.

I use natural glandulars, w/ amazing results. If I haven't recapped all the positive effects I've gotten, and just so far too since my adrenals have a way to be built back up (my pm cortisol still crashes most days). I have to learn to time my adrenal supplements better and be patient because it can take a yr to get them strong again since the problem was there for so long. Alos I'm doing an antifungal regiment which really stresses the adrenals, them being the stress glands w/ the pituitary. Oh, I also have to be on pantothenic acid again, which is a good place for anyone to start, it's the major stress B vitamin.

So I'm not freezing all the time, though my temp is still a bit variable, but my body temp has come up several degrees. Taking an antifungal or probiotic still gives me a transient chill, but always has. I'm thoroughly enjoying our winter weather returning, -10 to -20 and sunny feels invigorating rather than miserable. I have more energy, my free floating anxiety is gone, and I don't even have PMS depression anymore.

My severe winter depression (of 20 yrs back) is gone w/ glands and light therapy. I'm blown away and ecstatic over this! I'm much more easygoing. Ron and I used to fight alot in the winter because of my moods, but things roll off me now.

Many are afraid of taking hormones. Although they work great for some, they are risky, but glands aren't. They can even work for serious thyroid problems which required rx meds. The health store where I get mine ahs a nutritionist who has serious hypothyroid and was on synthetics for 6 yrs by rx, but has switched to a natural thyroid combo and is happier w/ it becasue of lack of side effects.

Jeanne