I'm at a loss what to do for........

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by northwoodssue, Feb 9, 2003.

1. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Hi Everyone:
    I guess this is not a topic that hasn't been answered here many times, but I'm relatively new to the board and haven't seen much on it.
    I have painful feet which started about 2 months ago. The outsides and the ball of the feet hurt alot, esp on getting up in the morning. I have to hobble, the pain is so bad. It gets a little better during the day, but doesn't go away. I've tried massage, heat, but nothing works. The yoga stretching for the feet only makes them hurt worse.
    Does anyone have any ideas for help with this??? I'm at a loss.
    thanks a bunch - love you guys!
    sue
  2. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Sue:

For pain I have found that cold works the best for me. I have those gel ice packs-I keep several in the freezer at all times. Have you tried soaking your feet with epsom salts? Some people of this board say it helps them. Hope this helps you!

Ellen
  3. danisue22

danisue22 New Member

Hi sue , very sorry to hear about your feet. I also have problems with my feet. I take baclofen for nerve pain. I use to take neurotin but could'nt handle the side effects.The Baclofen works very well for me. I know there are alot of people that take neurotin and it works well for them .There are other things that you can take I'm sure ,but I don't know what they are. I hope this helps you some and good Luck .It's terrible when your feet hurt so bad. >..Danisue
  4. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

thanks so much for your excellent responses. I'll give epson salts and the cold packs a try. I haven't tried bacloven (sp?) yet, but it's worth a try.
    again, thanks again.
    sue
  5. darlamk

darlamk New Member

Hi Sue, I've had numerous problems with my feet and knees through the years and many of them are caused by othopedic problems. When I have had pain on the outside of my foot it is usually from the way I walk and orthodics prescribed by my sports medicine ortho doctor really helped. Another way to use cold therapy is to freeze a 20 oz water or soda bottle (filled with water)- just sit in a chair and roll you foot on the bottle -this provides a nice little stretch and is good for your heels too (in case you have plantar fascitis too). I have had pain for almost 2 years in my left foot (top-right under the 4th toes) and after trying a multitude of things we discovered I had a Morton's neuroma (growth on nerves of foot)The doctor injected some steroids and I had a lot of relief for a few days so that is how we knew what it was. I had surgery this past Nov. to remove it. I still have some pain but it is nothing like it was. I hope you get some relief!
    Take care,
    Darla
    [This Message was Edited on 02/11/2003]
  6. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Thanks again for your helpful suggestions. I'll try the iced water bottle. Sounds like a good idea. I never thought of a neuroma. Need to go to the podiatrist.

Thanks again, everyone - the people on this board are the best!
    sue
  7. Kimba

Kimba New Member

I have feet problems also and I took them to a Podiatrist. They are the only one that really know what is going on with just the feet. I would go the best one that you can find, you may have a torn tendon, ligiment, stress fracture or other things that I won't bore you with.

My feet problem started with a torn tendon, then went onto a crushed joint and then went to the other leg and did the same thing. What I am trying to say is that you don't want to wait too long or it will get a lot worse.

Make sure to keep asking questions untill you understand what they are saying and if you still don't drop me a line and I will do my best to help you. kbernard@richmond.infi.net

Be well
  8. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Thanks for the headsup of possible stress fractures, etc. Never thought of that. I will go to the podiatrist.
    Do you ever have painful ankles that just "give away" when you are walking?? Mine do sometimes. It feels like a tendon has stretched or torn??? Just a thought.
    thanks again.
    sue
    ps I kept your email if any questions, but you might want to delete it off the board now.