I'm back from the research study!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by EllenComstock, Dec 4, 2002.

1. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Everyone:

As some of you will remember, I was participating in a sleep research study for fibromyalgia at the Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit for several days. I went in last Friday and left Tuesday morning. The toughest part of being in the study was that I had to go off all pain and sleep medications about a week before the study. I kept using my ice packs to help numb the painful areas. I realize now how much I depend on my medications to help me function.

I think the study itself went well. I wasn't able to use the computer while I was there and was told that the computers on that floor didn't even have access to the Internet so I couldn't post any messages here. Three of the nights I went to bed at my regular time, but one night I couldn't go to bed until 2:00 a.m., which was hard. Two days I had five nap tests, 30 minutes each, two hours apart. There was a video camera in the room as well as an intercom system. The room was pretty comfortable. It had it's own bathroom and shower, TV, desk. I brought things to do when I wasn't being tested. There were a lot of forms I had to keep filling out about how I was feeling physically and mentally. They also took a blood and urine sample. I met with Dr. Gillis a couple of times and she asked me questions about my past, any problems with depression, support system, etc. I told her one of my greatest support systems was this message board!

I will meet with Dr. Gillis in three weeks and she will go over my test results with me. While I was sleeping, I had wires attached to my face and scalp to record my heart beat, rapid eye movements, what stage of sleep I was in, whether I was dreaming, etc. So I will be anxious to hear what she says.

If anyone has any questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

Ellen

2. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Everyone:

As some of you will remember, I was participating in a sleep research study for fibromyalgia at the Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit for several days. I went in last Friday and left Tuesday morning. The toughest part of being in the study was that I had to go off all pain and sleep medications about a week before the study. I kept using my ice packs to help numb the painful areas. I realize now how much I depend on my medications to help me function.

I think the study itself went well. I wasn't able to use the computer while I was there and was told that the computers on that floor didn't even have access to the Internet so I couldn't post any messages here. Three of the nights I went to bed at my regular time, but one night I couldn't go to bed until 2:00 a.m., which was hard. Two days I had five nap tests, 30 minutes each, two hours apart. There was a video camera in the room as well as an intercom system. The room was pretty comfortable. It had it's own bathroom and shower, TV, desk. I brought things to do when I wasn't being tested. There were a lot of forms I had to keep filling out about how I was feeling physically and mentally. They also took a blood and urine sample. I met with Dr. Gillis a couple of times and she asked me questions about my past, any problems with depression, support system, etc. I told her one of my greatest support systems was this message board!

I will meet with Dr. Gillis in three weeks and she will go over my test results with me. While I was sleeping, I had wires attached to my face and scalp to record my heart beat, rapid eye movements, what stage of sleep I was in, whether I was dreaming, etc. So I will be anxious to hear what she says.

If anyone has any questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

Ellen

3. karen55

karen55 New Member

be able to fall asleep with wires attached to my face or head, and without my nighttime meds to boot. Kudos to you Ellen for doing this. Be sure and post after you discuss your test results.
  4. Shelle16

Shelle16 New Member

Ellen
    I'm glad its over with I know it had to be hard on you to sleep in a strange place and with no meds. Hopefully they found out something that can be useful for all of us.
    can't wait to hear what the Dr tells you keep us posted & God Bless you!Have a great Holiday!

HUGS
    Shelle
  5. twjen

twjen New Member

with all the guesses on the cause, cant wait to hear your results. How did you get in the test? Keep us updated when you find out. Thanks!! Jen